Author Topic: lagging arms  (Read 4845 times)

Smokey MacPot

lagging arms
« on: October 26, 2005, 10:00:21 AM »
Right now I am on a bulking diet, eating plenty of calories, and training to solely get bigger. Everything is getting stronger and bigger except my arms. Right now my training split looks like this:

Tuesday: Chest, triceps. Chest I do bench, incline bench, and weighted dips. For tris I do skull crushers, and pressdowns.

Thursday: Back, biceps. For back I do Chins, bar rows, deadlifts, and one other exercise which varies. For biceps I do incline curls and barbell curls.

Saturday: legs

Sunday: Shoulders

I usually do 4 sets and 6-12 reps per exercise

Like I said everything is getting stronger except my arms. In my case this means everything is getting bigger except arms. My upper body is starting to grow out of proportion to my arms. In my opinion and from my six years training experience strength=size. Right now I am 21 so I should be able to put on more size. What do ya'll think I should try?

NoCalBbEr

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
Re: lagging arms
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2005, 10:13:29 AM »
change it up to, chest/biceps and shoulder/triceps.  this is were i made the best gains. doing chest/ticeps and Back/biceps. tends to overtrain  the arms for me. and i only do nine sets for bis and tris. they dont need like  alot of sets to grow. i've found that the oppsit is true for me at least. remember to always do hammers for biceps and close grip bench for triceps

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2005, 11:01:20 AM »
Ya, change things, also try new exercises or change the number of reps, and add partials sometimes, or rest-pause reps and cheats.

dontknowit

• Getbig III
  • Masino's clit is kidnapped
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2005, 04:29:48 AM »
First change the combination into chest/bicep back/tricep. Also use excersise that hits the muscles from different angles. One time incline curls, the other time preacher curls, then concentrated curls. Use the same principle for triceps (and actually all other muscles).

kicker

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2005, 04:15:52 PM »
Shoulders are a smaller muscle group and could be paired with chest instead of having their own day.  Try a biceps/triceps split or pair back/triceps and give the biceps a day of their own.

Blake

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2005, 04:27:17 PM »
and give the biceps a day of their own.

As in going to the gym to ONLY work biceps?

NoCalBbEr

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2005, 04:55:47 PM »
yes and after bicep add in forearms

kicker

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2005, 05:01:58 PM »

As in going to the gym to ONLY work biceps?

That right.  Keep the workout short and sweet.  I think if you give a bodypart a day of thier own and really train them hard, it'll provide a new stimulus for them to recover and grow.  Assuming nutriotion is good.  Try it at least for a month.  I train triceps on their own day and have noticed good results is size and strength.  Not only that, I am a little stronger now with other compounds movements in general like benches, and militaries.

Blake

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2005, 06:02:40 PM »
Actually I think bodypart splits are shit, compared to upper/lower type splits.  Not that I never gained anything from a "bodybuilder five-day-a-week each bodypart once per week" type split.  Just that since switching to an upper/lower split done four days a week, hitting each bodypart twice per week has been FAR better.  A day devoted to biceps is fuckin' lame, IMO. You'd be much better off doing heavy weighted chins amongst your back work than doing endless sets of concentration curls w/ a friggin' 20 lb dumbbell.  Again, just my opinion.   ;)

kicker

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2005, 06:24:01 PM »
Actually I think bodypart splits are shit, compared to upper/lower type splits.  Not that I never gained anything from a "bodybuilder five-day-a-week each bodypart once per week" type split.  Just that since switching to an upper/lower split done four days a week, hitting each bodypart twice per week has been FAR better.  A day devoted to biceps is fuckin' lame, IMO. You'd be much better off doing heavy weighted chins amongst your back work than doing endless sets of concentration curls w/ a friggin' 20 lb dumbbell.  Again, just my opinion.   ;)

People have preferences and will respond to differently to routines.  I'm just saying if you need to prioritize a lagging muscle group and can fit in into your training schedule, it can give you a new stimulus needed to jumpsart growth.  And I don't mean doing endless sets of sissy-ass concentration curls, but the basics like heavy barbell curls, preachers, seated incline w/dumbbell...

I follow the typical 5-day split and its working for me (actually some days I pair with smaller ancillary muscle groups like calves or forearms).  I tried other combo's like chest/triceps or back/biceps and noticed I got fatigued when it can time to train the tri's or bi's on those splits.  Whatever works for you I guess.