Author Topic: The "getting stuck in the ropes" spot....When did it originate?  (Read 5840 times)

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
Montague had brought up how Andre the Giant was a master of the "getting stuck in the ropes" spot in another thread.

I began to wonder if that was an old school type trick that some of the older guys worked on? I pulled up this Kerry Von Erich vs. Playboy Buddy Rose match and it seems like Buddy Rose purposefully entangled himself in the ropes by the way he falls back and kind of twists his arms (at the 2:40 mark)

Any idea on how old this trick is? Is it something taught in the Wrestling schools that still operate or is it more of a forgotten craft? Any famous matches you can think of where it was used? Does any wrestler ever become entangled in the ropes on accident?

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
Re: The "getting stuck in the ropes" spot....When did it originate?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2012, 12:53:15 PM »
I’ve seen other guys do the rope entanglement and various forms of it. I think years ago, it often served as a rest spot - much like a bear hug or headlock, but a little more interesting with one guy “trapped” and the other playing to the crowd.

Michaels cleverly got his ankle caught between the top & middle rope in his ladder match with Razor at WM10, although Bret may have been the first to do that spot in his ladder match with Bad News back his Dad’s Stampede promotion in the early 80‘s.

IMO, the most exciting and dangerous variation is the “hangman.” At least, that’s the name I know it by. This is where the wrestler traps his neck between the twisted ropes. It’s dangerous because of the pressure it applies to your carotid arteries; a few seconds too long and you’ll pass out.
Probably the most famous hangman in wrestling history is the one I linked below. This was Foley’s infamous match with Vader in Germany during which he completely tore off a good portion of his earlobe during the move.

It happens at 7:25 for the more impatient among you. :)

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2012, 05:48:31 PM »
I’ve seen other guys do the rope entanglement and various forms of it. I think years ago, it often served as a rest spot - much like a bear hug or headlock, but a little more interesting with one guy “trapped” and the other playing to the crowd.

Michaels cleverly got his ankle caught between the top & middle rope in his ladder match with Razor at WM10, although Bret may have been the first to do that spot in his ladder match with Bad News back his Dad’s Stampede promotion in the early 80‘s.

IMO, the most exciting and dangerous variation is the “hangman.” At least, that’s the name I know it by. This is where the wrestler traps his neck between the twisted ropes. It’s dangerous because of the pressure it applies to your carotid arteries; a few seconds too long and you’ll pass out.
Probably the most famous hangman in wrestling history is the one I linked below. This was Foley’s infamous match with Vader in Germany during which he completely tore off a good portion of his earlobe during the move.

Wow, that's pretty damn hardcore if Foley planned that move! From the way he was hanging there he could have been in serious trouble if that ref wasn't there to untangle him from the ropes...GREAT overall match too. I used to love what little I seen of Cactus Jack in WCCW when he was partnered up with Skandar Akbar, a man probably not well known by the mainstream but in his day drew BIG TIME heat as he played the classic "foreigner bad guy role" who would throw fireballs and verbally harass the fans during matches.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2012, 07:03:47 PM »
Wow, that's pretty damn hardcore if Foley planned that move! From the way he was hanging there he could have been in serious trouble if that ref wasn't there to untangle him from the ropes...GREAT overall match too. I used to love what little I seen of Cactus Jack in WCCW when he was partnered up with Skandar Akbar, a man probably not well known by the mainstream but in his day drew BIG TIME heat as he played the classic "foreigner bad guy role" who would throw fireballs and verbally harass the fans during matches.

Oh, yeah - it was planned; except for the ear mishap. It was nice of the ref to pick it up afterwards.
Foley did the move again in a WWF match, but I can't remember when or with who.

I'd never personally known anyone to do it while in the indy's. I'm sure there are guys who've done it somewhere, just not in the promotions I was acquainted with.
Sometimes, the ring crew will come out and adjust the rope tension at the turnbuckles to accomodate certain maneuvers in the ensuing match. They used to do this for some of the Hardy Boyz matches in the Fed.
I don't know if Foley was afforded that luxury any of the times he did the hangman.

Hulkster

• Getbig V
  • ND ran away from me
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2012, 02:16:07 PM »
The Rock Don Muraco did the hangman spot against Dino Bravo at WM4:

at 4:40:

[ Invalid YouTube link ]
Flower Boy Ran Away

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2012, 02:46:21 PM »
The Rock Don Muraco did the hangman spot against Dino Bravo at WM4:

at 4:40:

[ Invalid YouTube link ]

Muraco was a great performer.
I know everyone always goes on about Bam-Bam & Taker being "great athletic big men," which they are; but the "original" Rock never gets enough credit.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2012, 02:56:48 PM »
One other thing I couldn't help but notice is that referee Joey Marella sells better than half of today's WWE roster.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2012, 07:38:54 PM »
one of the best adrian adonis flip upside down in the corner post and the tangled in ropes sold it well,,,,buddy rose was great too ,i guess the pudgy bodies made it more entertaining.adrian adonis leather biker look to adorable one classic.

Nirvana

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2012, 10:40:28 AM »
Do they even to a vertical suplex anymore either?

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2012, 09:23:54 AM »
Do they even to a vertical suplex anymore either?

haha, Flair was the master.  He would walk around the ring with someone to "let the blood run to their head" and then a perfect impact every time.  Nobody else was even close.