Author Topic: Protein Powders... yeah yeah i know  (Read 30825 times)

Glass Gorilla

• Getbig II
Re: Protein Powders... yeah yeah i know
« Reply #100 on: April 15, 2012, 11:50:48 PM »
pure egg whites dont taste that good  :-X

the one link has pure egg white powder, which probably tastes about the same..and i know the egg protein shake definitely tastes better lol

Just buy the cartons from the grocery store and drink it straight. Doesn't taste like anything at all and its 3 bucks for 100 grams of the best protein you can possibly have. Drinking liquid egg whites makes getting in your daily protein quota exponentially easier.

deadpan

• Getbig IV
« Reply #101 on: April 16, 2012, 08:32:13 AM »
Just buy the cartons from the grocery store and drink it straight. Doesn't taste like anything at all and its 3 bucks for 100 grams of the best protein you can possibly have. Drinking liquid egg whites makes getting in your daily protein quota exponentially easier.

won't that give you nasty ass farts and diarrhea? i read somewhere the body can't process raw eggs completely. 

Glass Gorilla

• Getbig II
« Reply #102 on: April 16, 2012, 11:07:33 AM »
won't that give you nasty ass farts and diarrhea? i read somewhere the body can't process raw eggs completely. 

Sacrifices must be made!  ;D

dfresh

• Getbig III
« Reply #103 on: April 16, 2012, 05:13:45 PM »

try a bout $5 here in nj :-[

and 3tbsp has 5g protein for the ones ive seen/bought

Glass Gorilla

• Getbig II
« Reply #104 on: April 16, 2012, 05:33:09 PM »
try a bout $5 here in nj :-[

and 3tbsp has 5g protein for the ones ive seen/bought

For the name brand ones or the generic brand? Just bought some today for me generic brand was $3.46 and name brand was $4.29.

dfresh

• Getbig III
« Reply #105 on: April 16, 2012, 05:40:15 PM »
For the name brand ones or the generic brand? Just bought some today for me generic brand was $3.46 and name brand was $4.29.

name brand, generic is still over $4 :-\

Glass Gorilla

• Getbig II
« Reply #106 on: April 16, 2012, 06:05:03 PM »
name brand, generic is still over $4 :-\

Damn. It still might be worth drinking half a carton a day. That's 50 grams which takes care of one meal easily.

dfresh

• Getbig III
« Reply #107 on: April 16, 2012, 06:38:04 PM »
Damn. It still might be worth drinking half a carton a day. That's 50 grams which takes care of one meal easily.

yea id like to start getting more egg whites into my diet, still have lots of whey left though lol

deadpan

• Getbig IV
« Reply #108 on: April 16, 2012, 06:39:30 PM »
yea id like to start getting more egg whites into my diet, still have lots of whey left though lol

how do you guys feel about beef protein? i think i might give it a try i already eat a shitton of cottage cheese and greek yogurt and eggs anyways.

Glass Gorilla

• Getbig II
« Reply #109 on: April 16, 2012, 06:44:22 PM »
how do you guys feel about beef protein? i think i might give it a try i already eat a shitton of cottage cheese and greek yogurt and eggs anyways.

I think beef protein is great. Tons of extra calories from fat, lots of creatine, easy to cook, and filling.

deadpan

• Getbig IV
« Reply #110 on: April 16, 2012, 06:47:50 PM »
I think beef protein is great. Tons of extra calories from fat, lots of creatine, easy to cook, and filling.

oh i meant a shake like Carnivor or something. although i guess i could replace my whole food whey and casein sources with a shake and eat more meat instead.

Glass Gorilla

• Getbig II
« Reply #111 on: April 16, 2012, 07:50:53 PM »
oh i meant a shake like Carnivor or something. although i guess i could replace my whole food whey and casein sources with a shake and eat more meat instead.

I would err toward whole food as much as possible. I've never had Carnivor or any other beef protein powders, but I guarantee you'd be better off just cooking up some ground beef. Personally I don't do any shakes at all. Egg whites twice per day and three whole food meals.

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #112 on: April 16, 2012, 08:03:21 PM »

If I remember, one of the primary protein sources in Carnivor Shots is beef collagen. Collagen can be any damn thing from skin tissue to bone, and everything in between like tendons and cartilage. They also include added BCAA's to their RTD's.
IMO, you can eat more red meat and consume a decent whey or BCAA product, which would give you the BCAA's with good quality beef protein.

deadpan

• Getbig IV
« Reply #113 on: April 16, 2012, 08:09:46 PM »
I would err toward whole food as much as possible. I've never had Carnivor or any other beef protein powders, but I guarantee you'd be better off just cooking up some ground beef. Personally I don't do any shakes at all. Egg whites twice per day and three whole food meals.

If I remember, one of the primary protein sources in Carnivor Shots is beef collagen. Collagen can be any damn thing from skin tissue to bone, and everything in between like tendons and cartilage. They also include added BCAA's to their RTD's.
IMO, you can eat more red meat and consume a decent whey or BCAA product, which would give you the BCAA's with good quality beef protein.

fair enough, i was hoping for close to the benefits of beef protein in a convenient shake but if it's as bad as you guys say it is, ill give it a pass. a nice juicy steak is better anyways. just not always enough time to cook one

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #114 on: April 16, 2012, 08:17:46 PM »
fair enough, i was hoping for close to the benefits of beef protein in a convenient shake but if it's as bad as you guys say it is, ill give it a pass. a nice juicy steak is better anyways. just not always enough time to cook one

Trueprotein.com has/had a beef powder mix for sale. I don't remember what the profile looked like, but I doubt it was worse than the Muscle Meds brand.
NOW makes a beef liver powder. It's a bit pricier than many other whey & casein blends. They also recommend you mix it with tomato juice, so it may not mesh well with your other chocolate or vanilla shakes.

Regardless, you're right; a good steak will blow any powder product out of the water in terms of taste & quality.

Glass Gorilla

• Getbig II
« Reply #115 on: April 16, 2012, 08:26:10 PM »

Awful, but not surprising  :-X

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #116 on: April 17, 2012, 08:51:57 AM »
Awful, but not surprising  :-X

Muscle Meds also spikes their Carnivor powder with creatine and NO2-type ingredients. Muscle-Tech used to do this with their Nitro-tech protein. Unsuspecting users would notice a bit of creatine bloat and believe they were making rapid gains from the powder's "patented nitrogen delivery stystem" bullshit.

In some ways, the practice seems reminiscent of a handful of companies that have been known to lace their products and/or samples with mild Rx anabolics.
I think even Blair was accused of adding Methandrostenolone to his "Hi-Proteen" and other product formulas back in the 60's.

Glass Gorilla

• Getbig II
« Reply #117 on: April 17, 2012, 12:05:22 PM »

Muscle Meds also spikes their Carnivor powder with creatine and NO2-type ingredients. Muscle-Tech used to do this with their Nitro-tech protein. Unsuspecting users would notice a bit of creatine bloat and believe they were making rapid gains from the powder's "patented nitrogen delivery stystem" bullshit.

In some ways, the practice seems reminiscent of a handful of companies that have been known to lace their products and/or samples with mild Rx anabolics.
I think even Blair was accused of adding Methandrostenolone to his "Hi-Proteen" and other product formulas back in the 60's.

Which companies are these?  ???

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #118 on: April 17, 2012, 12:26:46 PM »
Which companies are these?  ???

A few members here swore up and down that some samples they got at the Arnold expo the one year were laced with D-bol; it gave them a "very similar" feeling. I've forgotten the brand(s), though.

Then, in 2009, there was this gem: http://www.elitefitness.com/forum/bodybuilding-supplements/bodybuilding-com-raided-busted-over-supplements-wtf-662211.html