Author Topic: Why do Gyms Fail as a Business?  (Read 32897 times)

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
Re: Why do Gyms Fail as a Business?
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2012, 05:12:40 PM »

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2012, 05:12:49 PM »
id imagine that if you financed the gym with a loan, weights, machines, treadmills, locker rooms, a front desk..... ect..    your going to have pretty high monthly payments.. plus operation costs... im thinking your going to need 1000+ gym members to cover all that..

deadpan

• Getbig IV
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2012, 05:14:54 PM »
id imagine that if you financed the gym with a loan, weights, machines, treadmills, locker rooms, a front desk..... ect..    your going to have pretty high monthly payments.. plus operation costs... im thinking your going to need 1000+ gym members to cover all that..

hey tb, are you still doing that peptide thing? i think i sent you a pm but you never responded.....

Nails

• Getbig V
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jsi5VTzJpPw
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2012, 05:15:28 PM »
5 months ago , Ballys went out of business and bought off by LA FITNESS, i was paying $8 a month (been with ballys for about 10yrs) and LA FITNESS told me once my year that i paid up to was up, i would have to sign a new LA FITNESS contract that start at about $30 a month, so i said fuck it, ill go somewhere else, Bally had shitty gyms for along time but at $8 a month i couldnt complain...

i went over to the new 24hour fitness in burbank, ca. ..... saw online it was about $28 a month (my GF has a membership there pays $50 a month) if your added on to a friend or family account, so i go in there, and ask them for the special, this COCK SUCKER employee at 24hour starts off with, well thats a deal for 24hours "SPORT" this is a SUPER SPORT  ??? ???  , then he starts on with, their is a 24hour, 24HOUR SPORT, and 24HOUR SUPER SPORT....... i asked him nicely WHATS THE FUCKING DIFFERENCE?
"SUPER SPORT HAS TV's AND FREE WORKOUT TOWELS"  ::) ::)

I was like yea dude, thats why i come to the gym cus i cant afford TV OR TOWELS at home but i can afford $50 a month to borrow yours...... When i told him i was signing up to Burbank Athletic club instead for $10 a month, fucker got offended and walked away.... company twat homo

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2012, 05:17:59 PM »
My friend whose gym I just posted, paid for all of that with cash and a lot of the equipment came off of Craigslist believe it or not.  I think around 50 grand total only went into all of that including the building.  Its funny, he didn`t even bother going to the gym until just a few years ago.  Then he got really into it and then opened up his gym within just 2 years or so after going to the gym.

He trains a lot of college athletes at his facility and holds competitions all the time.  

Yev33

• Getbig III
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2012, 05:20:04 PM »
Does your friend do alot of organized group sessions overseen by a trainer?

I have seen this trend the last several years, guys open up training facilities and do lots of training in groups.
It's a different concept from what most us are used to. You get the people to pay not just for the gym but also for the trainer at the same time.
It's a very efficient and profitable way to train people, but you also have to have a clientele that is open to that concept.

garebear

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Never question my instincts.
« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2012, 05:20:30 PM »
5 months ago , Ballys went out of business and bought off by LA FITNESS, i was paying $8 a month (been with ballys for about 10yrs) and LA FITNESS told me once my year that i paid up to was up, i would have to sign a new LA FITNESS contract that start at about $30 a month, so i said fuck it, ill go somewhere else, Bally had shitty gyms for along time but at $8 a month i couldnt complain...

i went over to the new 24hour fitness in burbank, ca. ..... saw online it was about $28 a month (my GF has a membership there pays $50 a month) if your added on to a friend or family account, so i go in there, and ask them for the special, this COCK SUCKER employee at 24hour starts off with, well thats a deal for 24hours "SPORT" this is a SUPER SPORT  ??? ???  , then he starts on with, their is a 24hour, 24HOUR SPORT, and 24HOUR SUPER SPORT....... i asked him nicely WHATS THE FUCKING DIFFERENCE?
"SUPER SPORT HAS TV's AND FREE WORKOUT TOWELS"  ::) ::)

I was like yea dude, thats why i come to the gym cus i cant afford TV OR TOWELS at home but i can afford $50 a month to borrow yours...... When i told him i was signing up to Burbank Athletic club instead for $10 a month, fucker got offended and walked away.... company twat homo
All the way angry dude.
G

Nails

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2012, 05:21:35 PM »

che

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2012, 05:22:03 PM »
Every gym I have ever been to, I might pay for the first year up front in cash (I would NEVER EVER sign a contract) then I find that they forget and I just continue to to go for years and nobody ever says anything as I become real friendly with the workers and owners.  I think the last time I paid for a Full membership (in cash) was in 2000.  
You  and Jezabelle can train in my gym (for free) anytime you want  stud.

Nails

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2012, 05:23:05 PM »
You  and Jezabelle can train in my gym (for free) anytime you want  stud.

i saw your post of your gym a while back, fucking shit was a palace , it was like a gym mall resort

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2012, 05:25:12 PM »
Does your friend do alot of organized group sessions overseen by a trainer?

I have seen this trend the last several years, guys open up training facilities and do lots of training in groups.
It's a different concept from what most us are used to. You get the people to pay not just for the gym but also for the trainer at the same time.
It's a very efficient and profitable way to train people, but you also have to have a clientele that is open to that concept.
I think he may do some of that with some of the football stuff.  He will get a Pro Football player to come for the weekend and hold a session with groups or a Professional Powerlifter etc..., but I think his bread and butter is simply training people with a no bullshit style and has women and men doing the same stuff, all heavy and hard training.  He is doing extremely well considering he is relatively new at this.  

Coach, I think you would do extremely well branching out and coming around to these parts opening up a facility.  

ARMZ

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2012, 05:27:28 PM »
Gyms are failing because people are broke and the gyms can't get any money out of your accounts anymore..  We're lucky to keep a member more than a few months and that's with a signed contract.. Most accounts will end up in collections.. Then you have your over-weight people that give up after a month.. That doesn't help..

che

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2012, 05:27:43 PM »
i saw your post of your gym a while back, fucking shit was a palace , it was like a gym mall resort

This  ???

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2012, 05:28:55 PM »
better off taking 50,000 bucks and buying a foreclosed house for 45g's spend 5 grand on repairs. collect that rent
A

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: April 12, 2012, 05:29:45 PM »
better off taking 50,000 bucks and buying a foreclosed house for 45g's spend 5 grand on repairs. collect that rent
Maybe you and I should go in on some rentals together.

Nails

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: April 12, 2012, 05:30:03 PM »
Gyms are failing because people are broke and the gyms can't get any money out of your accounts anymore..  We're lucky to keep a member more than a few months and that's with a signed contract.. Most accounts will end up in collections.. Then you have your over-weight people that give up after a month.. That doesn't help..

and why are you trying to lock fat people into contracts ?

because you know its easy money, and then you drain their bank accounts and send them to collections, thats your bread and butter money maker right there.

these fat shits go to your gym maybe 5 -20 total hours in 3 years, and you think its right for you to charge them $1,400????

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: April 12, 2012, 05:30:31 PM »
dealing with tons of members is close to dealing with too many tenants, there will always be complainers and whiners calling you,
A

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: April 12, 2012, 05:35:40 PM »

yeah im getting more knowledgeable, starting to get some plumbing knowledge, if i dont know what part i need i just take it to the plumber part store and they tell me what i need and what tool, of course this requires me to research on the net first some

carpentry laying floors i can do it all. actually got a couple guys that put in a new kitchen vinly floor with a thin sheet of sub floor (if thats all it needs) for only 2-300 in labor wich aint bad

some floors i can just pop up the shoe molding and put a new lenolium sheet over it and be done in one day. I like those floors :)
A

ARMZ

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #43 on: April 12, 2012, 05:36:33 PM »
and why are you trying to lock fat people into contracts ?

because you know its easy money, and then you drain their bank accounts and send them to collections, thats your bread and butter money maker right there.

I look at it as helping them out.. Force them to live longer and more healthy..  But really, most gyms would not survive without contracts.. They don't have to sign it.. We don't force them..

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: April 12, 2012, 05:37:15 PM »
yeah im getting more knowledgeable, starting to get some plumbing knowledge, if i dont know what part i need i just take it to the plumber part store and they tell me what i need and what tool, of course this requires me to research on the net first some

carpentry laying floors i can do it all. actually got a couple guys that put in a new kitchen vinly floor with a thin sheet of sub floor (if thats all it needs) for only 2-300 in labor wich aint bad

some floors i can just pop up the shoe molding and put a new lenolium sheet over it and be done in one day. I like those floors :)
Yeah I am good for these type of things as well, and I take my time and use the correct materials to make sure its all done right.  

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: April 12, 2012, 05:38:45 PM »

i honestly dont need to make any more money but the thought of making more money is entertaining in a way that i would want to do something good with it, thats the part i havent figured out yet. Maybe some sort of new technology to benefit mankind down the road

but yeah property managment is best buisness. capital gains taxes go to 30 percent i beleive next year, so if people are gonna be selling its gonna be this year *if they are smart* or they will just hold steady on there properties.
A

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: April 12, 2012, 05:43:33 PM »
Yeah I am good for these type of things as well, and I take my time and use the correct materials to make sure its all done right.  
never trust anyone laying in the floor, so you must over see how its done, its best to be there like painting walls while someone is working on a floor, slight mistakes like not properly butting up or mis cutting of subfloor where there is too much gap could be devestating after the floor is laid because it could puncture through and tear.

also is especially important around the peremeter and the gaps to where water can seap through if not properly cauked up

laying the floor must be done with love not haste. its real easy to be carless and have a little small wood chip on the sub floor and then you put the lenolium on top only to have that little wood chip puncture through  :D >:(
A

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: April 12, 2012, 05:45:43 PM »
 no matter how much money you make at this life you cant stop moving and sit on it , something better has to be invested with it . otherwise its just not healthy
A

ARMZ

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #48 on: April 12, 2012, 06:34:24 PM »

these fat shits go to your gym maybe 5 -20 total hours in 3 years, and you think its right for you to charge them $1,400????

Here's a good way to put it.. If you rent a house and you are never there, do you pay less rent? 
It's there and they can use it anytime they want..

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
« Reply #49 on: April 12, 2012, 06:44:10 PM »
Almost all the Golds here in South Florida have been bought out and turned into Zoo Gyms where the membership is $99 per year or $10 per month.

I can't figure out how they are making enough to stay in business that way.  The Golds in Ft Lauderdale that I used to go to was an awesome gym.  But then the dickhead took out every single piece of equipment and replaced it all with the shitty HOIST and ROCKIT line that is not worth wiping your ass on.  They even fucked up the smith machine by getting the kind where the bar moves at a 10 degree angle instead up just up and down.  The dumb bells were replaced with ones that had the "fat" type grip designed to make it harder to grip and thus increase your grip strength when using them. 

People left there faster than you could believe.  3 months later it was basically empty.