Author Topic: Why do Gyms Fail as a Business?  (Read 32890 times)

Board_SHERIF

• Getbig V
  • UK Independence Party
Re: Why do Gyms Fail as a Business?
« Reply #75 on: April 13, 2012, 01:16:33 PM »
90% of small business owners deserve to fail based on stupidity, I laugh when some dolt invests their life savings into something that has a business plan written on a napkin, and then scratches their head 6 months later after loss upon loss.
K

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #76 on: April 13, 2012, 01:24:12 PM »
Any particular circumstances?
back in the 70's i almost made that mistake. when i talked to the realtor he said most of the income came from the sale of steroids and supplements to the members, i didn't think it was too good of an investment.
F

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #77 on: April 13, 2012, 01:25:41 PM »
I`m installing a Temperature/Pressure Relief Valve on one of my water heaters today.  We have three 50 gallon Water Heaters and I noticed a slow drip around the edges of one the the Temperature/Pressure Relief Valves.  Its almost criminal what a plumber would charge for an eight dollar part and some teflon tape that takes 3 minutes to change out.  I bet they convince people to replace whole system because of the TPR Valve which can go bad in less than a year at times on new Water Heaters even.

good investigating. many plumbers , mechanics are rotten, there so greedy but its going to bite them in the ass eventually. it feels really good to learn something like that, pretty cool man is the TPR valve, is that the handle thing, the shut off valve? i dont know much but i love learning and remembering for later use

the problem is many plumbers are very unhealthy and would rather screw the customer because they get real tired on the job even if its a minimal task. They have trouble with the small physical aspect of it and get frustrated then over charge and lie, happens all the time :( i just cant live with that guilty consciousness
A

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #78 on: April 13, 2012, 01:28:04 PM »
TA do you have that old canadian piping for the water, not the pvc pipe but the grey pipes with the copper fitting , about the circumference of a nickle? Thats another problem i encounter, its being replaced with the white plastic pipe of same circumfernce..The grey pipes tend to spring a leak at the fittings as time goes on
A

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #79 on: April 13, 2012, 01:34:12 PM »
TA do you have that old canadian piping for the water, not the pvc pipe but the grey pipes with the copper fitting , about the circumference of a nickle? Thats another problem i encounter, its being replaced with the white plastic pipe of same circumfernce..The grey pipes tend to spring a leak at the fittings as time goes on
Nah, I don`t have any of that Polybutylene Bullshit, but I know all about it.  There was a large class action lawsuit over that stuff and it ALWAYS fails.  It can either be totally replaced or another remedy is to updated the fittings with PVC.  Its best to totally replace it if its there.  You might be able to still get some of that replaced for free via the class action lawsuit or what have you depending on when it was installed and who did it.

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #80 on: April 13, 2012, 01:46:48 PM »
Nah, I don`t have any of that Polybutylene Bullshit, but I know all about it.  There was a large class action lawsuit over that stuff and it ALWAYS fails.  It can either be totally replaced or another remedy is to updated the fittings with PVC.  Its best to totally replace it if its there.  You might be able to still get some of that replaced for free via the class action lawsuit or what have you depending on when it was installed and who did it.
Thats good most older homes have the grey pipe im sure theyve weaseld there way out of having to replace all the piping for free however , seems your home is well put together stud
A

Nails

• Getbig V
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jsi5VTzJpPw
« Reply #81 on: April 13, 2012, 02:17:23 PM »

Busted

• Getbig IV
  • PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM MOWER
« Reply #82 on: April 13, 2012, 08:55:00 PM »
Generally they are not a very profitable business.  Most people want to own one because its something they enjoy doing.  I invested in a gym years ago and it cost about 700,000 to build from scratch.  people think its just weights, juice bar and cardio.  Got building codes, air circulation codes, etc..i ts still going to this day, but only has about 500 active members. It makes enough money to keep it going.

Ropo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #83 on: April 13, 2012, 11:43:48 PM »

Do you really want to know? Regarding what I have learn is that there is some common mistakes what leads to this:

1. Gym's are found by bodybuilders etc. with no knowledge about the running business what so ever.
2. They lease space, equipment, everything and by doing that, their monthly cost go sky high
3. When they realize that their balance is fucked up, they try to save money by cutting expenses from cleaning, maintenance of the equipment etc. and by doing that, they ruin even what little comfort and functionality out there has ever been. People hate dirty dressing rooms and toilets, broken gym equipment etc. and they stop coming, meaning that they also stop paying.

I have seen this plenty of times. Those who fails, are mostly victims of their own stupidity. You can only be successful in this business, if you do it right all the way. First of all, you must have some your own money. You can't be successful with the business, which is based 100% on loan.  You can't start with the expensive location, it will eat all your income. You have to start with low budget location and you have to buy your equipment rather than lease. You have to choose right kind of setup, nothing fancy, basic set which you can afford. Then you have to get pricing to the right level, do some advertisement and people will come. When you have some income flowing, you need to find right kind of gym related products to sell you customers, clothes, supplements etc. which you must buy with the lowest price to get best possible turnover from the deal. So now you have gym with steady income, bunch of people and you start to earn some money. You keep the place clean and tidy, make friends with the customers and if you play your cards right, you end up to having people waiting in line to get in the gym.

That is when you move bigger and better location near by, so you can keep all the customers and get some more. All the gyms existing after 10 years of business, has grow to be what they are. All the gyms which meant to be big by the start, has change owner year by year or fade away. You have to start low and climb with patience, and you may get there, but still you have do everything right. If you price is too high, people choose more inexpensive gym, and you loose customers. If you price is too low, you don't earn but you pull in trash who can't behave and lower your place to be ghetto gym. You have to have right price for the right people, clear rules for customers and so on. No discount of from any price without the really good reason. You can put up some membership-system and tie all discounts through that. With  membership and discounts you can pull in some competitive bodybuilders, and by them, you can reach new customers. While doing all this, you buy new equipment with your income by the need arises from the opinion of the customers. When this new location seem to bee too crowded, it is time to find bigger and better location. Moving gym from place to place is cheap compared to price of empty space, if you go too big location too soon.

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
  • DON'T BE A TRAITOR TO YOUR TRIBE
« Reply #84 on: April 14, 2012, 09:25:25 AM »
You must have high ceilings

deadpan

• Getbig IV
« Reply #85 on: April 14, 2012, 09:53:08 AM »

This is my small but very busy gym. It is £20 a month cash. No contracts. Pay month at a time.

It also runs kb classes, boxing classes and HKC/RKC events. The guy who own is is also a personal trainer and has about 4 other PTS working for him doing his 12 week transformation programme. It costs £1000 and at any one time there are about 15+ people doing it. Gym is very busy and successful.

Minimal overheads. It is right in Belfast City Centre but on the 3rd floor of a building with some loophole in the lease whereby the rent is minimal.

i wonder how feasible it would be to open a "basement gym" like dorian? just like a low overhead gym for serious lifters? or would that not make money?

G_Thang

• Getbig V
  • The World South of the USA isnt for pussies!
« Reply #86 on: April 14, 2012, 09:58:57 AM »

Aren't you a "Trust Fund Baby"?  Give it a try and let us know.  I'm sure you have the money to spare.

no one

• Getbig V
  • have i hurt your feelings?
« Reply #87 on: April 14, 2012, 11:17:46 AM »

a fully equipped gym that is not public but rather a private studio. make it exclusive. cater to women. women make up 80% of this industry and everyone is fucking ignoring them. have trainers who train figure/bikini/fitness and have clients pic on the walls. this is what we can do for you. sell a dream, promise results and give them the tools to achieve both.
b

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #88 on: April 14, 2012, 11:18:18 AM »
Golds was one of the ones I went to that was shut down.  :-\

a golds gym in Hawthorne,ca. that was built maybe 8 years ago, shut down this month

In the last 12 months the Gold's in Hollywood, FL closed.  The Golds in Fort Lauderdale, FL closed.  :-X

no one

• Getbig V
  • have i hurt your feelings?
« Reply #89 on: April 14, 2012, 11:23:05 AM »
Aren't you a "Trust Fund Baby"?  Give it a try and let us know.  I'm sure you have the money to spare.

hes as broke as a joke. he needs people to think he's some kind of sophisticant. he lived at home with his mom and brother till she passed. his brother then went out and bought a 200K house. yeah, big time money there. lol
b

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #90 on: April 14, 2012, 04:35:37 PM »
hes as broke as a joke. he needs people to think he's some kind of sophisticant. he lived at home with his mom and brother till she passed. his brother then went out and bought a 200K house. yeah, big time money there. lol
???

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #91 on: April 14, 2012, 04:49:57 PM »
I think hes doing well and isnt wasting his life chasing a short term drug induced phsyique fix, he definitly has some wisdom and knowledge. Maybe you should chill out fella
A

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
  • Better to die on your feet than on your knees.
« Reply #92 on: April 14, 2012, 04:52:37 PM »
LA Fitness is dominating the market in most states.  The local hardcore BBing gyms are almost all extinct.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #93 on: April 14, 2012, 05:08:53 PM »
I think hes doing well and isnt wasting his life chasing a short term drug induced phsyique fix, he definitly has some wisdom and knowledge. Maybe you should chill out fella
Hes a miserable person with a drug addiction so I just have come to expect an addled mind full of fantastical postings from him.  Hes harmless and its amusing to see what he will create next.

Johnny,
I meant to ask you if you have any good sources for Abatron or something like it?  Abatron is probably the best thing I have ever used, but it can be quite expensive.

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #94 on: April 14, 2012, 05:21:06 PM »
Hes a miserable person with a drug addiction so I just have come to expect an addled mind full of fantastical postings from him.  Hes harmless and its amusing to see what he will create next.

Johnny,
I meant to ask you if you have any good sources for Abatron or something like it?  Abatron is probably the best thing I have ever used, but it can be quite expensive.

i havent tried it, but dont be impatient with liquid nails overtime the stuff gets super hard like rock or steel almost it can take a few months for it to cure that hard though and you can paint right over it the day after it will be fairly dry and somewhat stiff
A

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #95 on: April 14, 2012, 06:18:07 PM »
We are almost done. Have all our equipment in exept the ones on order. Just need some cosmetics.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #96 on: April 14, 2012, 06:28:51 PM »
We are almost done. Have all our equipment in exept the ones on order. Just need some cosmetics.
Is there special insurance that has to be in place and is that expensive?

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #97 on: April 14, 2012, 08:38:29 PM »
Is there special insurance that has to be in place and is that expensive?

We had to get facility insurance. Minimum they require is $1mil but to cover our ass with pro athletes we increased it to $5mil. It runs us about $750 per year. I've had the same insurance for about 8 years with no occurrences, we just had to add the lease holder on as an additional insured.

deadz

• Getbig V
  • Liberals..Dumbest People on the Planet! MAGA
« Reply #98 on: April 14, 2012, 10:17:11 PM »
We had to get facility insurance. Minimum they require is $1mil but to cover our ass with pro athletes we increased it to $5mil. It runs us about $750 per year. I've had the same insurance for about 8 years with no occurrences, we just had to add the lease holder on as an additional insured.
Get some pics up Coach.
T

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
« Reply #99 on: April 15, 2012, 05:05:05 AM »
Every gym I have ever been to, I might pay for the first year up front in cash (I would NEVER EVER sign a contract) then I find that they forget and I just continue to to go for years and nobody ever says anything as I become real friendly with the workers and owners.  I think the last time I paid for a Full membership (in cash) was in 2000.  

Idiocy of staff/management is every business' downfall.