Author Topic: Chest and shoulders workout  (Read 4092 times)

5antasy

• Getbig II
  • Forever cutting
Chest and shoulders workout
« on: April 12, 2012, 08:16:35 PM »
I feel like switching it up. Never done those two on the same day.

Please suggest a routine for me to do. I'm tired of the same stuff all the time.

TrapsMcLats

• Getbig IV
  • Lift Heavy. Lift Hard.
Re: Chest and shoulders workout
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2012, 09:07:58 PM »
I got a great workout for a while with dumbbells and an adjustable bench like this:

1 set flat
1 set on 1 incline
1 set on 2 incline
1 set on 3 incline

etc...up to upright, did 3 sets upright (which was 8 on the bench incline settings), and worked my way down to flat again.  gets the entire delt/pec/tris region really well.

Glass Gorilla

• Getbig II
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2012, 09:48:31 PM »
I did them on the same day for awhile, worked pretty well. Delts are real fatigued by the time you get to them, so there's no reason to go ape shit with the weight, which really cuts down on the potential for injury. Plus you really don'y need that much volume for the shoulders when doing them after chest. And there's no need to do any front delt movements either.

Just do your normal chest routine and follow it with lateral raises, a pressing motion of your choice, and a machine/cable lateral. 3 sets of each is plenty  :)

5antasy

• Getbig II
  • Forever cutting
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2012, 10:47:24 PM »
I got a great workout for a while with dumbbells and an adjustable bench like this:

1 set flat
1 set on 1 incline
1 set on 2 incline
1 set on 3 incline

etc...up to upright, did 3 sets upright (which was 8 on the bench incline settings), and worked my way down to flat again.  gets the entire delt/pec/tris region really well.

This seems like a good idea. Worth trying 1 or 2 times. I would probably do 2 sets of each on the way up, and 1 set on the way down. Thanks. 

local hero

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • mma finance warrior of peace
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2012, 12:57:29 PM »
ive got terrible shoulder problems, so ive been doing chest and shoulders in one go just to give them a full 7 days without grief in the gym.... my shoulders are still one of my best bodyparts strangely enough, even tho theirs weeks where i can barely train them

its actually a good combination, i use the exact workouts i did when i trained them seperatly

incline db, machine press, flat or low inc fly

cable side laterals, pec deck rear delts, seated db press ( light and higher rep )

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2012, 01:08:44 PM »
 ;D
F

John O

• Getbig III
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2012, 02:51:38 PM »
Chest:
Bench press
incline press barbell or dumbbell
flyes or pullovers
Shoulders:
Military press barbell or dumbbell
Side delt lateral raises and rear delt lateral raises supersetted.
Masters- 50-54
148#

5antasy

• Getbig II
  • Forever cutting
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2012, 03:28:31 PM »
;D

You, sir, deserve 1 free Internet. Well done.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2012, 07:58:56 PM »
1)   DB flat BP..keeping the DB's inline with the upper chest/ shoulder area, elbows back.. If choosing to do Inclines, remember that the higher the incline the more the front delts take over, shifting the work load away from the chest. So might suggest a slight raised incline bench (adjustable?)  

2) Dips..weighted..if having a "V" bar, so much the better

3) Military Press...which also hits the lateral delt head strongly..military presses hit the upper cheat to a lesser degree.

4) Hi-pulls (from mid-thigh range)..will require the lateral and read heads to work strongly. Can interchange with Gironda Hi-pulls if you wish.

5)  Lateral raises (Gironda style)..sitting at the very  end of a bench, start with the two DB's touching undewr the legs. Now raise the DB's (with a little body motion) to just about shoulder high...hold for a second with the little fingers higher then the thumbs  (thumbs pointing downwards) ..lower the DB's to the starting positron under the legs. Also hits the rear delts, somewhat. Most lateral raise bring into action the rear delts.... isolation of a single muscle, being a myth in bio mechanics, is still accepted by some BB'ers. A muscle can never functions by it's self without aid from supporting muscles.

2 to 3 sets (max) of each exercise.  6-10 reps.. (POS) progressive overload systems.

Far as the shoulders go, you are hitting the 3 main functions of the delts. Push, press and extensions here. Can think of a half a dozen other chest /should programs, off hand, that can be very productive. Lots of stuff out there. If not liking the above suggested program, than do a search.

Though not a direct delt movement, trap work can add a certain thickness to the shoulder area. With the Hi-pull, shrugs, DL's, etc, you may discover this to be true. Good Luck
F

Meso_z

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2012, 03:47:43 AM »
1)   DB flat BP..keeping the DB's inline with the upper chest/ shoulder area, elbows back.. If choosing to do Inclines, remember that the higher the incline the more the front delts take over, shifting the work load away from the chest. So might suggest a slight raised incline bench (adjustable?)  

2) Dips..weighted..if having a "V" bar, so much the better

3) Military Press...which also hits the lateral delt head strongly..military presses hit the upper cheat to a lesser degree.

4) Hi-pulls (from mid-thigh range)..will require the lateral and read heads to work strongly. Can interchange with Gironda Hi-pulls if you wish.

5)  Lateral raises (Gironda style)..sitting at the very  end of a bench, start with the two DB's touching undewr the legs. Now raise the DB's (with a little body motion) to just about shoulder high...hold for a second with the little fingers higher then the thumbs  (thumbs pointing downwards) ..lower the DB's to the starting positron under the legs. Also hits the rear delts, somewhat. Most lateral raise bring into action the rear delts.... isolation of a single muscle, being a myth in bio mechanics, is still accepted by some BB'ers. A muscle can never functions by it's self without aid from supporting muscles.

2 to 3 sets (max) of each exercise.  6-10 reps.. (POS) progressive overload systems.

Far as the shoulders go, you are hitting the 3 main functions of the delts. Push, press and extensions here. Can think of a half a dozen other chest /should programs, off hand, that can be very productive. Lots of stuff out there. If not liking the above suggested program, than do a search.

Though not a direct delt movement, trap work can add a certain thickness to the shoulder area. With the Hi-pull, shrugs, DL's, etc, you may discover this to be true. Good Luck

SOLID advice.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2012, 08:40:14 AM »
Actually the above cheat/shoulder thing is what I'm currently doing now. Only 2 sets each exercise.

No body asked me, but;

For back I'm doing

1)  Pullover, straight arm...light weight, more of a warm-up/stretch..using a swing bar

2)  Chins/pullups, close hammer grip, shoulders brought  in line with the gripping handles at top position..arch back quite a bit  (Gironda version)

3)  BB row..medium curl grip, bringing the bar into the lower abs

4)  BB Shrugs combo...with 3 hand grip positions (extra wide collar grip, medium and close)

Just to note: If I would ever do curls, I would do them after this (or any other) back workout. Probably a couple sets of BB cheat curls and/or reverse BB curls..  Good Luck.

Side Bar:  Thank you Meso_z

F

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2012, 05:18:20 PM »
preaching to the choir dude... i'm sold on push/pull especially since I'm still on a 5k program... (and dieting)

Meso_z

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2012, 01:42:58 AM »
Actually the above cheat/shoulder thing is what I'm currently doing now. Only 2 sets each exercise.

No body asked me, but;

For back I'm doing

1)  Pullover, straight arm...light weight, more of a warm-up/stretch..using a swing bar

2)  Chins/pullups, close hammer grip, shoulders brought  in line with the gripping handles at top position..arch back quite a bit  (Gironda version)

3)  BB row..medium curl grip, bringing the bar into the lower abs

4)  BB Shrugs combo...with 3 hand grip positions (extra wide collar grip, medium and close)

Just to note: If I would ever do curls, I would do them after this (or any other) back workout. Probably a couple sets of BB cheat curls and/or reverse BB curls..  Good Luck.

Side Bar:  Thank you Meso_z

Im doing the chest /side/front delt thing for a while now, works great  8)

I brought this "trend" at my gym, everyone now seems to be doing this lol..

Works great, also combine rear delts and traps with back and youre done with shoulders workout.. no need for a separate day.

Maybe sometimes do them separate just to "shock" them.