Author Topic: A Game of Thrones - best show on TV  (Read 307095 times)

Marlo Stanfield

• Getbig IV
  • You want it to be one way,but it's the other way.
Re: A Game of Thrones - best show on TV
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2012, 05:39:09 AM »
HBO has great shows:

The Wire
Sopranos
Oz
Deadwood
Curb Your Enthusiasm
Rome
Game Of Thrones
Generation Kill

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
Re: A Game of Thrones
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2012, 06:07:08 AM »
Just started reading the fourth book in the series. Apparently the author plans to wrap up the series with 7 books. So far he's only completed 5 so hopefully he'll finish the other two before hbo catches up with him.

He gave an interview a month ago where he said that he has about 200 pages of the 6th book written and expects it to take another 2 years. However, the last time he gave an ETA was on the 5th book and he said six months on that after he finished the fourth....only it ended up being closer to 6 years. And that was with him claiming that he wrote books 4 and 5 at once and pretty much just split them in two.

Great show and books, though.

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2012, 06:25:33 AM »
HBO just increased the value of my Martin collection to a ridiculous level. Thanks, I guess.

Natural_O

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2012, 12:07:52 PM »
Only 2 more episodes left in Season 2.

FitnessFrenzy

• Getbig V
  • evolving
« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2012, 12:56:23 PM »
Breaking Bad > Game of Thrones

doriancutlerman

• Getbig IV
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2012, 02:14:13 PM »
Breaking Bad > Game of Thrones

But Breaking Bad isn't on TV right now :)

I'm not sure I agree, but Breaking Bad is certainly outstanding.  Making great fantasy is probably easier than making something as real and gritty as Walter White's life.

Ice cream and fried chicken, they are.  Both delicious in their own right, but sufficiently different that direct one-upsmanship comparisons are difficult.  In the end you want both :)

Palpatine Q

• Getbig V
  • Disdain/repugnance....Version 3: glare variation B
« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2012, 02:57:55 PM »

I'm not sure I agree, but Breaking Bad is certainly outstanding.  Making great fantasy is probably easier than making something as real and gritty as Walter White's life.

Ice cream and fried chicken, they are.  Both delicious in their own right, but sufficiently different that direct one-upsmanship comparisons are difficult.  In the end you want both :)

I have no clue what breaking bad is..it has escaped my radar for some reason. What's it about?

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2012, 03:17:25 PM »
I have no clue what breaking bad is..it has escaped my radar for some reason. What's it about?
Its about a dude that started making Meth with some kid because he was a Chemistry teacher that needed money for his cancer.
I cant watch it. Brings back too many bad memories.

MAXX

• Getbig V
  • MAGA
« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2012, 03:28:57 PM »
HBO has great shows:

The Wire
Sopranos
Oz
Deadwood
Curb Your Enthusiasm
Rome
Game Of Thrones
Generation Kill

qft best stuff is on there.

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2012, 03:32:50 PM »
Episodes, The borgias

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2012, 03:41:22 PM »
I was late to The Sopranos. Loved it! I was also late to Deadwood. And it took me an episode, or two, to find Milch's rhythym, but I fell for that one, as well. I guess I'm a slow learner.

Kwon_2

• Getbig V
  • Pretty sure he isn't in Ibiza getting the girls
« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2012, 12:14:32 AM »
I follow GoT but also followed Oz, Rome, Spartacus, Walking Dead, Deadwood and the Wire.

GoT Season 1 was epic, hoping the season 2 finale will be as epic.

evandatp

• Getbig IV
  • Haunted4Pay
« Reply #37 on: May 31, 2012, 04:05:35 AM »
Do the regular networks produce anything worthwhile for people over the age of 13 anymore?

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
« Reply #38 on: May 31, 2012, 04:18:31 AM »
Does anyone else think that the Lannister family, the dad in particular, are modeled after the Nazis?  I ask because the long leather trench coat he wears is reminecent of a German field Marshall , and they are pretty brutal folks.

PJim

• Getbig IV
  • Strike another match, go start anew
« Reply #39 on: May 31, 2012, 04:37:28 AM »

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #40 on: May 31, 2012, 08:25:52 AM »
Please, tell me my mom and me (I'm setting some of you up for a joke here) aren't the only ones watching this.  Season 2 started a few weeks ago.

I say that, perhaps apart from HBO's earlier co-production with the BBC, "Rome," this show is the best on TV.  "Breaking Bad" is about the only other show that is half as riveting IMNSHO.

Tyrion is by far my favorite character.  If Cersei weren't a piece of ass, she'd probably be my second least-favorite after "King" Marquis de Sade, err, I mean, Joffrey.  But Littlefinger ... that conniving guy is worse than the Queen Regent and just a level below the stupid twisted Joffrey.

I appreciate that the show remained faithful to the books and fan favorite "Ed" Stark lost his head.  HBO productions too often change shit when they're afraid it'll hurt the audience's feelings; e.g., the extensive changes they've made to "True Blood" v. the books upon which that show is based.

Just the same, damn ... Joffrey can't die soon enough :)  

I also hope Khaleesi Targarayen either grows those dragons super-fast or cultivates some serious allies in that city her stragglers enter at the grace of that big, majestic-looking black dude.  I seriously wanted to see Drogo lead his armies to kick serious ass so, in his stead, his exquisitely beautiful wife ... (fapfapfap) will do only too nicely :)

Generally speaking, the lot of the people "leading" these divided kingdoms are a bunch of prideful morons.  They ALL know the Lannisters are a serious threat.  Why not join together to eliminate Tywin and King's Landing, THEN decide who deserves the throne?  For that matter, why not divvy up that dumb-assed Iron Throne and have several rulers, something akin to the King's Council?

P.S. -- Just as people said of Natalie Portman in "The Professional" and Emma Watson in the first Harry Potter movie, I predict little Maisie Williams will be a great, if unique-looking beauty when she comes of age.  I'd say the actress portraying Sansa is already there but I loathe her character to much, I couldn't pull a hair :D

great show. the imp is my favorite character....
F

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #41 on: May 31, 2012, 08:36:38 AM »

Season 5 starts in July.  I have watched the first 3 seasons. FUCKING AMAZING SHOW.

But the best comedy that no one probably has ever heard of is the Increasingly Poor Decisions of Todd Margaret.

Desolate

• Getbig V
  • I dream of Gods
« Reply #42 on: June 01, 2012, 05:28:21 AM »
Mad Men > Everything else

FACT

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #43 on: June 01, 2012, 05:40:38 AM »

I think you'll like it Groink.   All seasons are on Netflix streaming, too.

I just finished Season 2, and I've heard from multiple sources that I ain't seen nuthin' yet.

But, on topic, GoT is really good, but I can't give it any kind of best ever since it's not through two seasons yet.

My favorites recently have been The Shield and Battlestar Galactica.  If you can get over the fact that it's sci-fi, the show was fantastic (You must see the two prequel episodes to  Season 1, though).
Y

Desolate

• Getbig V
  • I dream of Gods
« Reply #44 on: June 01, 2012, 05:57:14 AM »
The Mentalist on CBS is a very good show.

hematocritter

• Getbig III
« Reply #45 on: June 01, 2012, 07:15:51 AM »
I love Family Guy, best show ever.

I watched a documentary on Game of Thrones because it was the only free thing on this hotel TV, and it looked pretty damn good.
I haven't seen any of it, but I already know I hate that Joffrey guy so much, they sure do a good job of casting someone that looks like
a complete douchebag without even opening their mouth.
That white chick (Dany?) , the blonde that has to marry that barbarian guy looks so damn hot, and I love the accent.
I didn't see anything about this Masie girl, but I just googled her, and I was expecting something a hell of a lot different. Emma Watson I could
see becoming hot as hell (and she did), but this Masie girl just looks like a child, and not one that is going to be hot either.

doriancutlerman

• Getbig IV
« Reply #46 on: June 01, 2012, 10:35:05 AM »
Season 5 starts in July.  I have watched the first 3 seasons. FUCKING AMAZING SHOW.

*eyes bug out*

You've not seen season four yet?!?!

Awww, man, I'm not sure if I should feel sorry for you or be jealous as hell.  I'd give money to forget the season just to experience it all over again. 

Last chance to look at me, Hector ...

But the best comedy that no one probably has ever heard of is the Increasingly Poor Decisions of Todd Margaret.

True, true.

Kwon_2

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: June 05, 2012, 09:22:03 PM »

Papper

• Getbig V
  • Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do.
« Reply #48 on: June 06, 2012, 12:23:28 AM »
Tv shows are crap as a format.

I don't watch any of these series... smallville, sopranos, entourage, 24 etc. Time consuming and non rewarding, in the end every tv show becomes stale, loses it's original cast or as in 90 % of the cases, they become lazy with the script. Dexter was fun for one season maybe.Prison Break. I got sick somewhere in the third season. The first season or seasons are always better than the inevitable "finale" which all series sort of speeds to.

Lost? Prison Break? Entourage has lost it's appeal as well, it's was the shit when it came out but with the long wait between seasons you expect something bigger and better but get the same rehashed jokes and characters after 6 months and it isn't as fun the second time around. TV shows are crap as a format and in it's form a show is rarely thought out have an ending, that's why the ending is never good. It's like a drug addiction, mindless numbing..

Comedy shows, on the other hand, are completely different. They don't pretend to have a thought out plot, they work because they just make fun of contemporary subjects so they can last through their writers humour and their casts age.

Family guy is good. how i met your mother and big bang theory are good but still they were better when fresh.

South park is an amazing show. i can't think of any other series who gets increasingly better and more brilliant after season 10(!!!)

Kwon_2

• Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: January 08, 2013, 04:09:55 PM »
Sansa, Arya and Bran has matured

Stark-kids beatboxing "Come at me breh"