Author Topic: Old age........what you gonna do ?  (Read 11670 times)

peruke

• Getbig III
Re: Old age........what you gonna do ?
« Reply #50 on: April 27, 2012, 08:11:52 PM »
We are all trying to put a number on when we would like to go. The closer one gets to the inevitable, the more one wants to live. You can literally see it in the eyes of the person once the death rattle comes.

No not true, you cannot generalize like that....I work with terminally ill people, and that is a very myopic view of people.   Some people who have been ill for a very longtime, are open to the end, as long as they can remain comfortable.    I have worked with people who are fearful, but that is not everyone.   Ultimately, we all face this...Its the one thing that we all face, despite wealth, power, and fame.... :-X

Nirvana

• Getbig V
« Reply #51 on: April 27, 2012, 08:21:57 PM »
No not true, you cannot generalize like that....I work with terminally ill people, and that is a very myopic view of people.   Some people who have been ill for a very longtime, are open to the end, as long as they can remain comfortable.    I have worked with people who are fearful, but that is not everyone.   Ultimately, we all face this...Its the one thing that we all face, despite wealth, power, and fame.... :-X
x2

from dust you came, and to dust you shall return. no matter how far from the dust you get.

randy841

• Getbig III
« Reply #52 on: April 28, 2012, 12:02:29 PM »
No not true, you cannot generalize like that....I work with terminally ill people, and that is a very myopic view of people.   Some people who have been ill for a very longtime, are open to the end, as long as they can remain comfortable.    I have worked with people who are fearful, but that is not everyone.   Ultimately, we all face this...Its the one thing that we all face, despite wealth, power, and fame.... :-X

That would be the one exception. Terminally ill patients are often in tremendous pain and being artificially kept alive via extreme measures, and often forced by the state to stay in their current state. The Dutch are very liberal in their thinking in this respect, and in legislating termination of life and assisted suicide. But for the person walking and kicking one day and on their death bed the next week - a exception can be drawn.

peruke

• Getbig III
« Reply #53 on: April 28, 2012, 02:45:27 PM »
I respect your opinion.    I work in hospice, and I advocate for patients to make sure they understand options, Ie, Living Wills, Advance Directives, DNR, etc..to hopefully make sure the patient makes best choice for the person who will honor their choices.  We also try to make sure they are as pain free as possible.   

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #54 on: April 28, 2012, 03:02:13 PM »
I respect your opinion.    I work in hospice, and I advocate for patients to make sure they understand options, Ie, Living Wills, Advance Directives, DNR, etc..to hopefully make sure the patient makes best choice for the person who will honor their choices.  We also try to make sure they are as pain free as possible.  

I just got got home after attending the funeral of a friend today. I talked to her on Wednesday, April 18th. Although she was in the hospital, she was expecting to released on Saturday. On Friday her doctor informed her that she had inoperable, terminal liver cancer and had approximately six months to live. She went into a coma on Saturday and died on Sunday. She was about 50 years old. This was a shock to all of us who knew and loved her. It was probably a blessing for her.

peruke

• Getbig III
« Reply #55 on: April 28, 2012, 03:07:22 PM »
I am sorry about your loss.  Its difficult to loose someone, whether we have month to prepare, or whether it was a fast death.  No matter how we prepare, we are most always caught off guard.   Again, I am sorry about your loss.   I am always humbled by death....

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #56 on: April 28, 2012, 05:02:56 PM »
I am sorry about your loss.  Its difficult to loose someone, whether we have month to prepare, or whether it was a fast death.  No matter how we prepare, we are most always caught off guard.   Again, I am sorry about your loss.   I am always humbled by death....

Thank you.

Pat was very well thought of. There were probably about 150 people at the service.

Do you ever wonder if anyone will show up to a service when you die? I do.

peruke

• Getbig III
« Reply #57 on: April 28, 2012, 05:16:43 PM »
A very good friend of mine said......."turnout at a funeral depends on the weather" ;)  I try not to dwell on that....I worked with a man, who was estranged from his family.  We as the staff represented him at his funeral.  We only knew him as a nice guy, who was dying....I did find family, but they declined to reconcile, or even attend his funeral, but we gave him a nice send off....

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #58 on: April 29, 2012, 12:35:21 AM »
A very good friend of mine said......."turnout at a funeral depends on the weather" ;)  I try not to dwell on that....I worked with a man, who was estranged from his family.  We as the staff represented him at his funeral.  We only knew him as a nice guy, who was dying....I did find family, but they declined to reconcile, or even attend his funeral, but we gave him a nice send off....

It wasn't raining today. Which, for Portland, OR is good weather. This was a church service and reception....all indoors.

Pat's family consisted of her brother, his wife and her two neices; she never married. Most all the folks there were friends and business associates.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #59 on: April 29, 2012, 11:46:54 AM »
TA said somethign interesting on GB a while back.  we'll never know death.  it's the absense of life, and you need consciousness for life... something along the lines of death will only affect you if you think about it.   

bugs and animals live every day like they're gonna live forever.  cats don't worry about what age they'll die.  and they never spend one second of their life stressing it.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #60 on: April 29, 2012, 03:26:35 PM »
TA said somethign interesting on GB a while back.  we'll never know death.  it's the absense of life, and you need consciousness for life... something along the lines of death will only affect you if you think about it.   

bugs and animals live every day like they're gonna live forever.  cats don't worry about what age they'll die.  and they never spend one second of their life stressing it.

So in other words, is it just human nature to think about our own and other folk's mortality?

It seems possible to comtemplate death without stressing about it. Some folks do this with estate planning, writing wills and making funeral arrangemens, etc.

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #61 on: April 29, 2012, 06:39:00 PM »
Today my great-aunt (my fathers aunt) turned 103.....holy shit.
She's fysically very weak of course, mentally ok though...

Do you wanna get this old ?

As long as I can shit on my own then yes

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #62 on: May 17, 2012, 07:00:49 PM »
Live in the moment and live life to the fullest in each of those moments. Learn from your mistakes, but don't dwell on the past. Forgiveness (including forgiving yourself) is more rewarding than vengeance. If you do these things right the future will take care of itself. Inject humor into your life as much as possible.

When I was 25 years old, I was in debt and spent too much money. As time passed, I learned I was happier when I had money in the bank as opposed to driving a new car or buying a bigger house.

My wife and I made a commitment to each other in marriage. While our marriage has had the normal good days and bad. One day at a time our relationship grew more solid. Almost 48 years later we have deep love for each other, we are best friends and we are each others biggest supporters. Many people I know who shopped around from one marriage or from one partner to another are all alone today and often unhappy.

The problem, as I see it is that when I was 25 I thought I knew a lot. It wasn't until I lived much longer that I realized how little I knew back then. Perhaps if 25 year old folks knew what some old folks know, they wouldn't be able to enjoy being 25 and they wouldn't change, grow and mature with time. Everything has its time.

Things often are just the way they are supposed to be.

Wisdom speaks!

All I know is that if I knew then, what I know now, ...I'd have been downright dangerous!!!   ;D
w

BIG ACH

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #63 on: May 17, 2012, 07:19:51 PM »
hope for the best lol

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #64 on: May 17, 2012, 08:01:57 PM »
It's funny how one changes their perspectives over the years. My Mom is pushing 80, ...and is as stubborn & cantankerous as ever. It used to bug me how stubborn she was, ...now I love it. Of course I would never let her hear me say that, ...but she's still the feisty stubborn force of nature she always was, ...and I'm coming to view that as a very good thing. lol. And I STILL can't get her to wear running shoes or even practical shoes. She still insists on her high heels, ...and strutting about like a little fashionista. Oh well, what can you do?
w

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #65 on: May 17, 2012, 10:38:46 PM »
It's funny how one changes their perspectives over the years. My Mom is pushing 80, ...and is as stubborn & cantankerous as ever. It used to bug me how stubborn she was, ...now I love it. Of course I would never let her hear me say that, ...but she's still the feisty stubborn force of nature she always was, ...and I'm coming to view that as a very good thing. lol. And I STILL can't get her to wear running shoes or even practical shoes. She still insists on her high heels, ...and strutting about like a little fashionista. Oh well, what can you do?

Age has its advantages. However, both my wife and I wear comfortable shoes.

orion

• Getbig IV
« Reply #66 on: May 21, 2012, 01:00:36 PM »
    Someone said, "Better to die drowning in your own blood than live drenched in your piss!"

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #67 on: May 22, 2012, 01:46:53 PM »
    Someone said, "Better to die drowning in your own blood than live drenched in your piss!"

-Seems a bit harsh. Both these bodily liquids are rather stinky and sticky. Think I stick with dying in my sleep some night.