Author Topic: Old age........what you gonna do ?  (Read 11672 times)

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
Re: Old age........what you gonna do ?
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2012, 04:31:01 PM »
When I was twenty, folks in their forties seemed old; when I was thirty, folks in their fifties were getting up there; when I was in my fifties I started having a different perspective and folks in their seventies seemed a bit older and wiser to me. I am presently sixty-seven years old. I am relatively healthy. Since retiring four years ago, I've decided I want to live forever as a retired person who enjoys life to it's fullest. What I never want to be is sick and dying. If I go to bed some night and simply don't wake up in the morning, that would be my ideal way to die. As long as I can lift weights and play with my dogs, I am happy.

One of the most difficult things about getting older is that some of one's contemporaries pass on from various illness often associated with old age. What with having gone to my brother-in-law's funeral last week and having another funeral for much loved business associate and friend this Saturday, right now I am very aware of my own mortality. We all die sooner or later....there doesn't seem to be any way around the inevitability of this happening. Shucks and gosh darn it!

bradistani

• Getbig V
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2012, 04:35:22 PM »
ask simon cowell about his plans to live forever. He  has potions made from the sperm of a mountain goat and such like everyday. plus he's already signed up to be cryogenically frozen so he can be brought back later on when they have the technology to do so.
Not a bad idea

and yet he smokes like a chimney  ::)

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2012, 04:43:50 PM »
Live as well as you possibly can because nobody gets out alive!

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Ron = 'Princess L' & many other gimmicks - FACT!
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2012, 05:18:09 PM »
I am not hoping to live much past 65-70, let's put it this way.
Post this again at age 65-70 and I will believe you.  ;)
!

hematocritter

• Getbig III
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2012, 05:33:37 PM »
When I was twenty, folks in their forties seemed old; when I was thirty, folks in their fifties were getting up there; when I was in my fifties I started having a different perspective and folks in their seventies seemed a bit older and wiser to me. I am presently sixty-seven years old. I am relatively healthy. Since retiring four years ago, I've decided I want to live forever as a retired person who enjoys life to it's fullest. What I never want to be is sick and dying. If I go to bed some night and simply don't wake up in the morning, that would be my ideal way to die. As long as I can lift weights and play with my dogs, I am happy.

One of the most difficult things about getting older is that some of one's contemporaries pass on from various illness often associated with old age. What with having gone to my brother-in-law's funeral last week and having another funeral for much loved business associate and friend this Saturday, right now I am very aware of my own mortality. We all die sooner or later....there doesn't seem to be any way around the inevitability of this happening. Shucks and gosh darn it!

What kind of advice would you give to your 25 year old self if you could go back in time?

Fortress

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2012, 07:31:21 PM »
Post this again at age 65-70 and I will believe you.  ;)

Your point is taken.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2012, 09:57:07 PM »

What kind of advice would you give to your 25 year old self if you could go back in time?

Live in the moment and live life to the fullest in each of those moments. Learn from your mistakes, but don't dwell on the past. Forgiveness (including forgiving yourself) is more rewarding than vengeance. If you do these things right the future will take care of itself. Inject humor into your life as much as possible.

When I was 25 years old, I was in debt and spent too much money. As time passed, I learned I was happier when I had money in the bank as opposed to driving a new car or buying a bigger house.

My wife and I made a commitment to each other in marriage. While our marriage has had the normal good days and bad. One day at a time our relationship grew more solid. Almost 48 years later we have deep love for each other, we are best friends and we are each others biggest supporters. Many people I know who shopped around from one marriage or from one partner to another are all alone today and often unhappy.

The problem, as I see it is that when I was 25 I thought I knew a lot. It wasn't until I lived much longer that I realized how little I knew back then. Perhaps if 25 year old folks knew what some old folks know, they wouldn't be able to enjoy being 25 and they wouldn't change, grow and mature with time. Everything has its time.

Things often are just the way they are supposed to be.

randy841

• Getbig III
« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2012, 10:30:04 PM »
Live in the moment and live life to the fullest in each of those moments. Learn from your mistakes, but don't dwell on the past. Forgiveness (including forgiving yourself) is more rewarding than vengeance. ... Inject humor into your life as much as possible.

This is pure unadulterated wisdom at its finest.

Only the fortunate few live to a ripe old age.

'Live life to the fullest each and everyday', because it can be taken away just like that. At 20, i was on my death bed, and eating through a straw. UnFortunately, i am still kicking around, and you appreciate it that much more.

James28

• Getbig V
  • toilet roll of peace
« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2012, 01:14:02 AM »
I refuse to get old. Not that I'm old anyway (31), but I refuse to give up anything any time soon. I'm not losing my hair, I don't need glasses, I have no injuries or aches and pains. I train lighter than I used to but 100 times smarter, which leaves me at the biggest and most lean I've ever been (ok, thank you Tren). I'm still childish in a way and me and my buddies still get up to the stupid shit we used to. We're just less angry at the world now. I've come to realise that most people are superficial and the friends I made when I was 12 are the once that would stand at my grave one day and weep with all their hearts. And me for them. I've forgiven my parents for their many shortcomings and accepted that they did the best they knew how. I've come to realise that while I think I may know everything, that I infact know nothing. My grandma left school at 13 to help work her dad's farm and then spend the next 65 years raising her 4 boys, and then helped with grandchildren and great grandchildren after. That's not even including helping the farm workers and such. If I can one day be even just have a fraction of her life knowledge and tolerance, my body will enter the crematory with an eternal smile.

I'm more healthy, wealthy and happy than ever. I don't get hung up on women anymore. There's always another puss to bang if one leaves. But if the right girl comes along with the right smile, the right words and the right laugh, my life will change in the blink of an eye, and for the better.

Lastly, before this becomes 'tldr', I hope, I've became more tolerant. I don't hate people for their nationalities, race or religious convictions, even though it may seem that way at times. I hate them for stupidity (and I hope that will change one day), but not the above mentioned. I realise how arbitrary it all are. With the most slightest twist of fate, I've could've been born as one of the less fortunate ones in the world. Which brings me truly to my last point. Be happy for what you have, even if it ain't much. There's people that can never dream about driving in a car, going on holiday or simply even just buying food in a shop if they ever had money. And if they are more happy with what they have, which is the case a lot of the times, then shame on you.

I look forward to the next 30 years.

da_vinci

• Getbig V
  • Cry me a river
« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2012, 01:32:09 AM »
If you ^^ refuse to get old - support initiatives like SENS, The Methusselah foundation, The Manhattan project, etc... There's a REAL pssobility to control biological processes that makes us get "old" (the cause seems to be the lack of selective pressure after a certain age, depending on a specie. The genetic blueprints are "written" by selective pressure for us to be young and healthy for a certain amount of time, later on the selective pressure drops gradually and so the ftiness of an organism and it's ability to sustain it's health). The good news - there are species that doesn't show any signs of getting older already, and there've been very impressive demonstration of life extension of various species in the labs already (like - mice living 50% longer. That's ridiculously impressive result, idk if many can appreciate it enough.. C.elegant worms living like 4-8 times longer while being YOUNG too.).
 Death of old age in a civilised world will be no more common than a death from a starvation, if the right care will be taken by an individual (that basically means various therapies to regenerate the body and maybe even "recode" certain gene patterns, etc..). It's a question of time - and we don't have much of it. Stay young or die tryin' (no pun) ;)

Oh, and it's an evolutionary logical contination of our specie, as we don't really have the dangers from "outside" (preators, etc..), the elimination of infectious disseases and viruses is on the verge of being perfected either, the last and the most certain killer that's left is a physical degeneration process, called "Aging" (which not surprisigly at all contributes to most major cause of death and disseases. They are called "Disseases of an old age" for a reason. No aging - no diabetes, no cardiovascular disseases, no cancer (genetic fuck ups doesn't count), no retinal degeneration, no arthsirtis, no osteoporosis, no muscle loss, no alschaimer, no many other stuff that's being tried to "cure" as a one dissease at once, which if pretty futile, as the contributor and catalyst is ONE and ONLY, it's - aging process). As a specie and a life form, whichs goal is to survive by any means - we will get that one too. That's the ultimate goal of any life form - to beat death in as many ways as possible. I know - humanity've invested a lot into the "coming in peace with death", as it's "inevitable", and it may be difficult to look at it in a different light for many (just like when some traditions change. Some people oppose out of a pure emotional standpoint, with no constructive analysis beforehand) but that's what the things are heading to, no matter what. En evolution in it's finest.

James28

• Getbig V
  • toilet roll of peace
« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2012, 01:37:54 AM »
I meant with that is that I will try and see out my natural time on earth as healthy as possible. I have zero desire living longer than my allotted time here. Too many people in this place anyway. I don't want to be part of the over population by being kept alive artificially.

da_vinci

• Getbig V
  • Cry me a river
« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2012, 01:43:16 AM »
I meant with that is that I will try and see out my natural time on earth as healthy as possible. I have zero desire living longer than my allotted time here. Too many people in this place anyway. I don't want to be part of the over population by being kept alive artificially.

You think one day you will wake up and decide "Mmmkay... it's enough for me."? Not gonna happen (unless you'll be in a lot of pain and illness. If you would have an ability to sustain your current young phenotype, I bet the next sunrise wouldn't be less beautiful than the last one, even after 60years from now on.). If you have a passion to live - it will be burning no matter how old you'll get. When my grandfather was lying on a death bed, one thing he told me was "Damn... I want to have just some more time.. I have so manyh things to do still".
 Overpopulation will be of a no issue - birth rates will drop naturally a lot (as there'll be no reason to be in hurry to procreate. It's happening already as people live longer and more healthy.). The control of birth at the worst case will be applied (to these who'll like to receive the therapies.).

And by saying "being kept alive artificially" do you mean that when you get cancer you should get no treatment? Or when you get hit by a car - you shouldn't be hooked on an apparatus to keep your breath, if that's what's needed? When is that "time to go", why couldn't it be on that accident with a car... cancer.. flu... pulmonary dissease? My friend - we've been keeping people alive artificially by as long as we learned how to stop bleeding. There's nothing "artificial" that happens in nature, as it's still all the result of the same nature, if you get my drift. It's an evolution.

James28

• Getbig V
  • toilet roll of peace
« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2012, 01:46:44 AM »
You think one day you will wake up and decide "Mmmkay... it's enough for me.". Not gonna happen. If you have a passion to live - it will be burning no matter how old you'll get. When my grandfather was lying on a death bed, one thing he told me was "Damn... I want to have just some more time.. I have so manyh things to do still".
 Overpopulation will be of a no issue - birth rates will drop naturally a lot (as there'll be no reason to be in hurry to procreate. It's happening already as people live longer and more healthy.). The control of birth at the worst case will be applied (to these who'll like to receive the therapies.).

And by saying "being kept alive artificially" do you mean that when you get cancer you should get no treatment? Or when you get hit by a car - you shouldn't be hooked on an apparatus to keep your breath, if that's what's needed? When is that "time to go", why couldn't it be on that accident with a car... cancer.. flu... pulmonary dissease? My friend - we've been keeping people alive artificially by as long as we learned how to stop bleeding. There's nothing "artificial" that happens in nature, as it's still all the result of the same nature, if you get my drift. It's an evolution.

Fair point, I'm just not interested in living to 120. There's no quality of live there. My experiences with death has be dissimilar to your. Need to get to work now, will write a bit more when I get to the office.

da_vinci

• Getbig V
  • Cry me a river
« Reply #38 on: April 26, 2012, 01:49:40 AM »
Fair point, I'm just not interested in living to 120. There's no quality of live there. My experiences with death has be dissimilar to your. Need to get to work now, will write a bit more when I get to the office.

The common misconception is that life extension means being old for a longer (I have no idea why people automatically assume this, it's rerally very frustrating when trying to educate general public on the issue). That's not correct, what it really means is - keeping your phenotype (the gene expression levels, the condition of a somatic tissues, etc..) at the state that we call "youth" currently. i.e. - keeping the rate of mortality from all causes of death for your favor just as when you were 20-25yo, even if your chronological age is 60.

I know it may sound very outlandish for the bigger portion of a society still (and that's a no suprise. There were eons of time used to invest in the ways to "deal with death and old age" so people doesn't want to let go of that easily, but it will happen, it's inevitable..), the culture, the religion, traditions, overall "life scenario" is built on that amount of time we have here, but it will change just like most things, gradually, but it will. Now if you have a mind that's progressive enough - with some education it's not all that difficult to grasp and be aware of a possible perspective and direction.

What's kind of ironic and "funny" for me is that people learn so much stuff dring their life, starting from a kindergarden. They can repair their car, they can repair their pc, build a house, even cure themselves from some disseases by various means, but most have no clue what is it that makes them get old. It baffled ne from a very young age, everyone around seemed like in some sort of a "trance", regarding this issue. Almost avoinded talking much about death. When in fact there are very specific reasons aging happens, it's still not fully clear, but the progress that has been made in the last 10 years is astonishing. I've got into this kind of stuff at a very young age (trying to understand, just as a layman, no scientist, but as a curious person that doesn't like to "deal with it", doesn't matter what's the issue, without at least tryin' to solve it.) and it's leaps and bounds. The progress in understanding in the last ten years is equivalent of the progress of the 40years before and it's speeding up, just like most othe stuff. It's pretty damn fascinating.

Powerlift66

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: April 26, 2012, 02:59:14 AM »
Today my great-aunt (my fathers aunt) turned 103.....holy shit.
She's fysically physically very weak of course, mentally ok though...

Do you wanna get this old ?

Fixed

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #40 on: April 26, 2012, 04:08:08 AM »
Older, sure. But extreme old age? No. There's a not a lot of positives.   

Cleanest Natural

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Diet first, all else second
« Reply #41 on: April 26, 2012, 04:28:04 AM »
my granddad died aged 95, a year and a half ago- I can only hope to get to that age
In 70 years there may be some sort of serious life extension technology around- you may not need to die, ever :)
you are an excrement

Tito24

• Getbig V
  • I'm a large man but.. one with a plan
« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2012, 04:31:46 AM »
depends. getting disseases of all kinds must suck too. but as long as you can get joy out of life why not.

my family tends to get old but im a bodybuilder who is suppose to die young in order to chase the dream

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2012, 05:34:35 AM »
My wife was talking about two of her boyfriends before me. They both died of heart attacks in their 50's.  I'm I next?  

I know all you young guys think you're going to be ripped and in shape in your 50's but when you get there you will see how really rare that is.  Don't post pictures of 50 year old juicers who are really playing roulette with their health.

Nobody realizes how valuable health is until something goes wrong.  That's why bodybuilding should be about health. It could be one of the best things you could do for health instead of one of the worse. All the money in the world can't buy you health.

peruke

• Getbig III
« Reply #44 on: April 26, 2012, 05:57:22 AM »
Today my great-aunt (my fathers aunt) turned 103.....holy shit.
She's fysically very weak of course, mentally ok though...

Do you wanna get this old ?

Can she spell "physically"?    :-X   I worked with a few people over 100....It is pretty amazing.  Many are still very sharp... ;)

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
« Reply #45 on: April 26, 2012, 06:21:02 AM »
live in a van and fuck prostitutes

;D

Wow

hench

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: April 26, 2012, 07:23:57 AM »
yep, that is a surprise, kind of seems pointless him using these concoctions and stuff
and yet he smokes like a chimney  ::)

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: April 26, 2012, 05:18:11 PM »
You think one day you will wake up and decide "Mmmkay... it's enough for me."? Not gonna happen (unless you'll be in a lot of pain and illness. If you would have an ability to sustain your current young phenotype, I bet the next sunrise wouldn't be less beautiful than the last one, even after 60years from now on.). If you have a passion to live - it will be burning no matter how old you'll get. When my grandfather was lying on a death bed, one thing he told me was "Damn... I want to have just some more time.. I have so manyh things to do still".

The will to live is amazing! My mother was killing herself one way or the other (she even attempted suicide a few times by stabbing herself) most of her adult life and yet when her time actually came, she fought to stay alive. I couldn't believe it. This taught me something about our will to live.

jaejonna

• Getbig V
  • Head Asian of Getbig
« Reply #48 on: April 26, 2012, 06:53:35 PM »

Nassar is a beautiful man with 300 lbs abs, lucky chick....
L

randy841

• Getbig III
« Reply #49 on: April 27, 2012, 12:05:03 AM »
We are all trying to put a number on when we would like to go. The closer one gets to the inevitable, the more one wants to live. You can literally see it in the eyes of the person once the death rattle comes.