Author Topic: Standing Military presses vs seated military presss  (Read 5644 times)

mesmorph78

• Getbig V
  • there can only be one...
Re: Standing Military presses vs seated military presss
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2012, 12:56:02 AM »
Seated on a smith machine with NO back support ie a regular flat bech, or use a preacher bench with the arm rest turned around..It allows the same body mechanics as standing when you arch your lower back. i feel it better in my delts this way.
I do this as well usual
choice is an illusion

BigCyp

• Getbig V
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2012, 02:38:17 AM »
If you "look through" the bar when it passes your head you should not hurt your back at all.

I do like standing presses and rate them highly.

My shoulder worout at the minute is

Seated DB Press 4-5 sets
Standing BB Press 5-6 sets

I used to do side laterals but do not bother anymore.

Goud can you elaborate on this please?

I currently do 2 giant sets of side laterals, but each shoulder individually - I do this as last excercise so delts are pretty exhausted, it's more for a pump and trying to get the most out of delts for workout etc

Usual routine is 4 sets of seated military press, 4 sets of seated dumbell press, superset rear delts/front delts (dumbells also) and finish with the lateralls.

Would you say drop the lateralls as not doing much then after all that pressing?

Cheers

Bigc

Prime

• Getbig IV
  • The force is strong in this'un
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2012, 03:01:40 AM »
Try standing db presses. Good exercise and feels totally different to doing them seated.
[img]http://ima

deceiver

• Getbig IV
  • onetimehard appreciation team
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2012, 04:35:30 AM »
Also if you want to start talking, yes...you will have more compression on your spine in a seated position, but it's a stable compression because your body is in a static position.

standing you are not stable in any way, and you have far more risk of pulling a muscle as your body is forced to stabilize that load as you press it up. every muscle in your body is firing like crazy to control that load, one wrong move and you could be injured, also a good way to get a hernia

and i wasn't taking about spine pressure to begin with, but about stabilizing your trunk so as not to pull a muscle, and a safe ROM

If you do heavy back and front squats religiously, add some basic olympic lifts to your training I don't see anyone having any problems whatsoever.

BigCyp

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2012, 04:41:01 AM »
If you do heavy back and front squats religiously, add some basic olympic lifts to your training I don't see anyone having any problems whatsoever.

Does groink look like the type of guy that would 'throw in' some olympic style lifting into his routine?

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2012, 08:53:20 AM »
Goud can you elaborate on this please?

I currently do 2 giant sets of side laterals, but each shoulder individually - I do this as last excercise so delts are pretty exhausted, it's more for a pump and trying to get the most out of delts for workout etc

Usual routine is 4 sets of seated military press, 4 sets of seated dumbell press, superset rear delts/front delts (dumbells also) and finish with the lateralls.

Would you say drop the lateralls as not doing much then after all that pressing?

Cheers

Bigc

If it is just for the pump i would say that it is not detracting anything away from your workout. I doubt it is adding anything significant but if you liek teh pump and feel they are doing something worthwhile keep going!

I hurt my shoulder a bit and could press heavy but side laterals hurt so I dropped them. I have not noticed a reduction in size or strength at all since doing so. Maybe that is just me.

I do believe in getting a pump at the end of the workout too - if anything it is fun!

mesmorph78

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2012, 09:12:04 AM »
I feel lateral raises have their place I'd say nose of my side delts come from lateral raises
Shoulders are a stand ou body part for me
For I overall size presses but to target the side head definetly lateral raises

Gouda groink.. Do you work rear delts?
choice is an illusion

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2012, 09:15:48 AM »
I feel lateral raises have their place I'd say nose of my side delts come from lateral raises

Your delts look like cannonballs bro !!

Schmoff

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2012, 09:25:44 AM »

easy to achieve all natural for life year around physique right there

Meso_z

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2012, 09:31:07 AM »
same here...why risk tweaking a muscle and getting hurt. i normally do the hammer strength military machine for these,and i put the seat down really low so when the weight is in the bottom position, it's right at the top of my delts.

I see so many guys using an extreme ROM and putting their delts in a compromising position, over time that will damage the shoulder joint
I do the same. Some guys go "all the way down" thinking they "stretch" their "front delts" this way.

mesmorph78

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2012, 09:32:23 AM »
I do the same. Some guys go "all the way down" thinking they "stretch" their "front delts" this way.

;D
More like rip
choice is an illusion

Meso_z

• Getbig V

mesmorph78

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: April 27, 2012, 09:56:35 AM »
Your delts look like cannonballs bro !!

Thanks man...
choice is an illusion

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #38 on: April 27, 2012, 10:02:30 AM »
I clean the bar off the floor then I do my reps. I understand many are thinking it's only a delt exercise but think systemic. The whole body has to balance and stabilize the bar when you are standing. You don't realize it but you legs, lower back, all your various ab muscles and many others are at play when you are doing a standing press.

Think of it this way. Do you think isolating each body part seated in a machine will make you a better athlete? I think you can be build a better athlete by doing stuff like the clean and press, squats,chins, dips and power cleans. Sometimes you have to think outside of the bodybuilding box and think what will make a better athlete.

kyomu

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • トホカミエミタメ ハラヒタマヒ キヨメタマフ
« Reply #39 on: April 27, 2012, 11:37:05 AM »
Curiously standing version isolate delt more. but you cant lift heavy like seated.

mesmorph78

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: April 27, 2012, 01:20:33 PM »
Curiously standing version isolate delt more. but you cant lift heavy like seated.
not as heavy but close...
choice is an illusion

mesmorph78

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: April 27, 2012, 01:22:08 PM »
I clean the bar off the floor then I do my reps. I understand many are thinking it's only a delt exercise but think systemic. The whole body has to balance and stabilize the bar when you are standing. You don't realize it but you legs, lower back, all your various ab muscles and many others are at play when you are doing a standing press.

Think of it this way. Do you think isolating each body part seated in a machine will make you a better athlete? I think you can be build a better athlete by doing stuff like the clean and press, squats,chins, dips and power cleans. Sometimes you have to think outside of the bodybuilding box and think what will make a better athlete.

i do cleans sometime.. these are a killer, give good gains in size too
choice is an illusion

mesmorph78

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: April 28, 2012, 09:13:33 AM »
Bump
choice is an illusion