Author Topic: best overall protein powder  (Read 20885 times)

MCat

• Getbig II
  • I'm just sayin'
best overall protein powder
« on: October 29, 2005, 12:52:02 PM »
What is it and why...
Dominated

Bear03

• Getbig IV
  • back in the swing of things
Re: best overall protein powder
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2005, 01:23:38 PM »
What is it and why...

Optimum Nutritions 100% whey.  Good blend of proteins, 110 cals, 1 g fat, 2 g carbs, 24 g protein per serving.  Very affordable.  Pretty good taste, my favorite is vanilla.

I think many will agree with me.
:-)

MCat

• Getbig II
  • I'm just sayin'
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2005, 03:32:30 PM »
I dig optimum, and also VP2 vanilla...Good shit
Dominated

Blake

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2005, 07:39:09 PM »
Optimum Nutritions 100% whey.  Good blend of proteins, 110 cals, 1 g fat, 2 g carbs, 24 g protein per serving.  Very affordable.  Pretty good taste, my favorite is vanilla.

Yep, totally agree.  I've tried many protein powders, even trueprotein.com custom blends, but for overall value and a very high quality product, I can't find anything that beats Optimum 100% Whey.  Hell, it's gotten even better now that they came out with the "Gold Standard" stuff.

I also like VP2, but if I use it any other time than pre/post workout, I feel like it's burning a major hole in my wallet.  Depending on where you get it from, if you figure the price per serving for a 10 lb. bag of Optimum 100% Whey, it's probably only going to be around $.30 to $.36 per serving, which is damn cheap IMO.

DYA

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2005, 07:49:18 PM »
Optimum Nutritions 100% whey.  Good blend of proteins, 110 cals, 1 g fat, 2 g carbs, 24 g protein per serving.  Very affordable. 

It's affordable, but what blend are you referring to, a whey blend? If you want whey, just stick to an isolate.

The best blended protein powders are:
Dorian's Pro Peptide
Muscle Link Pro Fusion
Optimum's Pro Complex
Biotest Low Carb Grow (no egg though)

there's a couple others, but those all taste great and are reputable companies.

Bear03

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2005, 08:12:59 AM »
It's affordable, but what blend are you referring to, a whey blend? If you want whey, just stick to an isolate.

There's enough Isolate in the Gold Standar Optimum brand to make it worthwhile.  It's a fast-acting protein powder; there's no casein or glycerine or anything like that.  It's not quite as good as 100% isolate, but for at least half the price, it's the best powder out there.     

candidate2025

• Getbig IV
  • chillin out relaxing
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2005, 02:59:27 PM »
ive been using "on" for quite some time now...and its the shit bro. cheap. good tasting. mixes well...high protein.    but i havent tried many brands...so there could be better out there
d[-_-]b actin all cool

Carmello

• Getbig III
  • Believe it or not. Your choice.
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2005, 05:24:33 PM »
For Night time, Evopro by Cytosport is the best. For a meal replacement, Myoplex deluxe is the best. As far as whey goes, i don't believe in it. They're now making baby formulas with whey, if it was a strong form of protein, i doubt babies would be able to drink it. but if u want to use it, whey concentrate is the best for muscle size. Try pure whey from Prolab. And for bulking, go with Musclemilk. IMO, i think ON's protein sells based on taste and price, and not so much on results.

If u don't care about spending money, then rack up on Beverly International proteins. They're the real deal. Coleman uses them, and alot of other pro's. Don't know why none of them advertise for them. I got great results from Ultimate muscle protein, and Ultra Size. U won't believe the taste! I've heard alot of hype on muscle provider. I'll try it one day n let u know how it matched up, when i can afford it, lol.
CEA999

MCat

• Getbig II
  • I'm just sayin'
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2005, 09:50:50 PM »
what about zero carb from VPX.  Anybody got any imput on this shit
Dominated

johnnyx

• Getbig II
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2005, 11:31:44 PM »
Supplement Direct Whey Protein Isolate....no flavor, no sweetners, just pure instantized 92% isolate protein..... they have up to date lab assays which makes it nice to know how old and what your getting!!

get big AusSiE

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2005, 11:37:38 PM »
i think mass monster by bodyscience is d best nd it works.

it works because its an australian product nd if it didnt work it will be banned

Sir Duchaine

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2005, 11:39:23 PM »
any that I can get in a 10 - 20kg sack from the wholesaler, thus avoiding paying a premiun to some supplement company owning prick

250Ben250

• Getbig III
  • skinman approved.
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2005, 12:16:32 PM »
Bump to the Optimum Whey Gold Standard.

One good thing to do is search your area for Distribution Co.'s. Most won't sell to the public, but if you get to know someone there they'll usually let you come in and buy for the wholesale/pre mark up price, even when you're buying relatively low volumes comparably.

A friend of mine is up to his ears in those new Muscle Milk N Oats, I think he got them for around half of what you'd pay in the store.

Carmello

• Getbig III
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2005, 03:03:55 PM »
seriously, you're all wasting ur time, and money on whey alone. Plenty of studies support the fact that a combination of whey, and casein, or whey and soy yield greater muscle building effects than just whey alone. And yes, even after training because you give your body a sustained release of amino acids through your bloodstream to the muscles. Why do u think u always see, "eat a small meal an hour after ur whey protein post workout shake." It's cause u absorb it like crazy fast, and u don't digest all of it. How can u in an hour? Pay a little more for greater results. Since i've made the switch to the mix, i've had better stregnth, and size gains than i ever did with whey alone. (sounded like a radio advertisement). If u want value, here's the best deal i know of. Syntrax Matrix 5.0 is a 5lbs bag of whey, micellar casein, and other mixed proteins for 30 bucks. Can't beat that, and the taste is great. Get it at bulknutrition.com. Another one, better quality, for just a few bucks more would be Nitrean from atlargenutrition.com. Per serving, it's got a little more protein punch than the Matrix 5.0 stuff per serving. all in all, both are a good value, yeah!
CEA999

Blake

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2005, 03:45:21 PM »
seriously, you're all wasting ur time, and money on whey alone. Plenty of studies support the fact that a combination of whey, and casein, or whey and soy yield greater muscle building effects than just whey alone.

I don't believe anyone said that ALL they eat is whey protein.  Again, we're talking about SUPPLEMENTS.

And yes, even after training because you give your body a sustained release of amino acids through your bloodstream to the muscles. Why do u think u always see, "eat a small meal an hour after ur whey protein post workout shake." It's cause u absorb it like crazy fast, and u don't digest all of it. How can u in an hour? Pay a little more for greater results.

You don't NEED to ingest different types of protein to get a "steady stream of amino acids".  Multiple feedings of whey protein spread throughout the day would do this quite nicely.

Carmello

• Getbig III
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2005, 12:05:42 AM »
I don't believe anyone said that ALL they eat is whey protein.  Again, we're talking about SUPPLEMENTS.

You don't NEED to ingest different types of protein to get a "steady stream of amino acids".  Multiple feedings of whey protein spread throughout the day would do this quite nicely.
Ummm, blake is it? Yeah...ok. Anyway, when making an argument about something, make sure u know what u r talking about, or at least have some evidence to support. Never did i say anyone is on an "all whey" diet cause that would just be foolish to assume. My mistake. Guess u r with the elite 1 percenters of this board who think people really go on "all whey diets," as 99% of people here already know food is the dieting staple, not supps.

Second, learn something about protein, and the different types, and how long they r digested for. Only a fool would take whey every hour or 2, if that's what ur getting at with your little "multiple feedings of whey protein" garbage. It get's too be quite expensive doing it that way anyway. I'm sure since ur probably at home all day unemployed, or have rich parents, or whatever your situation is, that u can just go to your little cheap 10lbs bag of whey, and mix up every few hours, or after a real meal if u want to get all technically retarded. I was giving advice to those who obviously have a life, and a brain, and are out on the go. Between meals (again obviously) the best protein is a whey, casein mix, period. There is no room to argue this point junior. U do it the hard way, and i'll do it a better whey son. Understand? or should i break out the crayons?
CEA999

loler

« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2005, 03:18:12 AM »
Ummm, blake is it? Yeah...ok. Anyway, when making an argument about something, make sure u know what u r talking about, or at least have some evidence to support. Never did i say anyone is on an "all whey" diet cause that would just be foolish to assume. My mistake. Guess u r with the elite 1 percenters of this board who think people really go on "all whey diets," as 99% of people here already know food is the dieting staple, not supps.

Second, learn something about protein, and the different types, and how long they r digested for. Only a fool would take whey every hour or 2, if that's what ur getting at with your little "multiple feedings of whey protein" garbage. It get's too be quite expensive doing it that way anyway. I'm sure since ur probably at home all day unemployed, or have rich parents, or whatever your situation is, that u can just go to your little cheap 10lbs bag of whey, and mix up every few hours, or after a real meal if u want to get all technically retarded. I was giving advice to those who obviously have a life, and a brain, and are out on the go. Between meals (again obviously) the best protein is a whey, casein mix, period. There is no room to argue this point junior. U do it the hard way, and i'll do it a better whey son. Understand? or should i break out the crayons?

its protein
as long as youre not ingesting cum to fill your protein quota, who gives a fuck
you fucking retard
and learn to spell you bag of dicks

Aido

• Getbig II
  • Lift, Eat, Rest, Grow, Repeat.
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2005, 04:11:46 AM »
As far as whey goes, i don't believe in it. They're now making baby formulas with whey, if it was a strong form of protein, i doubt babies would be able to drink it. but if u want to use it, whey concentrate is the best for muscle size.

Baby foods have been made with whey protein for a long time now.

The reason, whey is easily digested, so the fact that very young children do not have the most powerful digestive enzymes is not a problem. Not too sure what you mean by a "strong form of protein" , but this is the reason why baby foods use whey, easy to digest, which is hardly something to put off bodybuilders.

Borracho

• Getbig V
  • Waking up is possible if ur tired of the dream....
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2005, 08:27:37 AM »
Yeah, the Cookies N Cream kicks ass.

:-X Worst taste I ever tried. Had to bring it back.

Steeljunky

• Getbig II
  • D's...Nuts
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2005, 10:25:06 AM »

I agree, mixes easy in a shaker and goes down like water not like others that feel like mortar mix. Choc. mint aint to bad.
Call me BigPapa

Carmello

• Getbig III
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2005, 11:22:41 AM »
Aido, good point. Thanks for the intelligent response and not some pointless garbage like the 2 idiots I'm about to address. I meant, more effective for bbers when i said stronger protein. My mistake.

As for loler, u r a retard. Go suck on blake, and get your protein requirements from his whey fortified jizz.

Protein isn't protein IMO. U don't have to like it. I was just trying to help, as studies show a protein powder from multiple sources, preferably fast, and slow digested protein is superior to whey alone. If u want to justify whey being equal, or better do to value, then there's no point in trying to see otherwise. You can't argue with science.
CEA999

Blake

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2005, 12:20:34 PM »

Sheesh, why the hostility?  YOU'RE the one who said we're "all wasting our time and money buying whey alone".  That's a pointless comment UNLESS THE ONLY PROTEIN YOU'RE CONSUMING EACH DAY IS WHEY.

Second, learn something about protein, and the different types, and how long they r digested for. Only a fool would take whey every hour or 2, if that's what ur getting at with your little "multiple feedings of whey protein" garbage.

Again, what I posted was in response to YOU saying that one MUST ingest DIFFERENT types of protein to get a "steady stream of amino acids" into the body.

It get's too be quite expensive doing it that way anyway. I'm sure since ur probably at home all day unemployed, or have rich parents, or whatever your situation is, that u can just go to your little cheap 10lbs bag of whey, and mix up every few hours, or after a real meal if u want to get all technically retarded. I was giving advice to those who obviously have a life, and a brain, and are out on the go. Between meals (again obviously) the best protein is a whey, casein mix, period. There is no room to argue this point junior. U do it the hard way, and i'll do it a better whey son. Understand? or should i break out the crayons?

LOL!   Where did I state that all I consume is whey?  Furthermore, did I suggest to anyone that they go on an "all whey" diet? 

loler

« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2005, 01:23:48 PM »
Aido, good point. Thanks for the intelligent response and not some pointless garbage like the 2 idiots I'm about to address. I meant, more effective for bbers when i said stronger protein. My mistake.

As for loler, u r a retard. Go suck on blake, and get your protein requirements from his whey fortified jizz.

Protein isn't protein IMO. U don't have to like it. I was just trying to help, as studies show a protein powder from multiple sources, preferably fast, and slow digested protein is superior to whey alone. If u want to justify whey being equal, or better do to value, then there's no point in trying to see otherwise. You can't argue with science.

ever heard of amino acid profile
go look it up
in the meantime i wont give a fuck about 2% better ingestion rate or some shit as long as i get a good amino profile
go choke on a bag of dicks

250Ben250

• Getbig III
  • skinman approved.
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2005, 02:19:34 PM »
For a meal replacement, Myoplex deluxe is the best. 

Worst...advice....ever.. ...

::)

Bear03

• Getbig IV
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2005, 02:39:14 PM »
what about zero carb from VPX.  Anybody got any imput on this shit

Great stuff.  One problem.  Damn expensive.

Many of us aren't really in a position to buy three different protein powders for various situations.