Author Topic: Forearms  (Read 7209 times)

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
Forearms
« on: April 29, 2012, 05:37:30 AM »
I have never really botherd much with direct Forearm training but i trained them in my arm workout yesterday and they are solid. Wife asked me to wire up a light and i felt it using a screwdriver..lol. I did seated arm resting on my thigh Dumbbell wrist curls and then Hammer curls. Finished off with hand grippers that my son has..what routines do you guys do?

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Forearms
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2012, 09:37:23 AM »
Wrist curls and extensions. Then I use grippers. The grippers I use is the green one by Ivanko sold in Ironman magazine and I also have a Ironmind gripper.

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2012, 10:47:21 AM »
Grippers and static holds.

My forearms blew up back when i used to do heavy farmers walks.

Hammer curls are great as well and ditch any straps you use for a few months and see what happens.

Wrist curls aren't a bad idea and those rope rollers with a weight attached at the bottom work well.

8)

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2012, 11:59:13 AM »
Hmmmm....wasn't there just  a long thread on the forearms?

Anyway, the thumbs are also important in forearm/grip work, so exercises like pinch gripping a 2X4 and doing chins, pinch grip a pair of smooth 45's, sandbag training, etc can be included. Rope climbing (excellent for the lats and biceps) is another movement worth mentioning.

The finger tips are also important, So might try doing those chins, on that 2X4, with just the finger tips. Either pinch grip or finger tips, try hanging from that 2X4 (building up to holding a DB in the free hand), even slight to quarter chins are rewarding.. Either grip  (pinch/finger tip) tends to bring our those cord like muscles/tendons in the forearms....can be very impressive.

Been around some rock climbers a while back. Swear, some of the more impressive forearms around. Almost have to believe some of the forearms measured more that the upper arms.  Popeye, indeed.  Good Luck.

F

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2012, 01:23:55 AM »
Hmmmm....wasn't there just  a long thread on the forearms?

Anyway, the thumbs are also important in forearm/grip work, so exercises like pinch gripping a 2X4 and doing chins, pinch grip a pair of smooth 45's, sandbag training, etc can be included. Rope climbing (excellent for the lats and biceps) is another movement worth mentioning.

The finger tips are also important, So might try doing those chins, on that 2X4, with just the finger tips. Either pinch grip or finger tips, try hanging from that 2X4 (building up to holding a DB in the free hand), even slight to quarter chins are rewarding.. Either grip  (pinch/finger tip) tends to bring our those cord like muscles/tendons in the forearms....can be very impressive.

Been around some rock climbers a while back. Swear, some of the more impressive forearms around. Almost have to believe some of the forearms measured more that the upper arms.  Popeye, indeed.  Good Luck.

yes there was a thread .. just was inspired to write about my pumped Forearms.. ;D normally i do a few sets of reverse curls on a preacher bench but i just wanted to experiment.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2012, 07:51:57 AM »
i rarely train mine.  I should tho.  They're easy to neglect.

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2012, 03:49:31 PM »
Grippers and static holds.

My forearms blew up back when i used to do heavy farmers walks.

Hammer curls are great as well and ditch any straps you use for a few months and see what happens.

Wrist curls aren't a bad idea and those rope rollers with a weight attached at the bottom work well.

8)

x2

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2012, 04:23:02 PM »
I fashioned a wrist roller out of 2.5 in PVC pipe. The extra thickness makes it much more effective and, IMO, superior to the commercial varieties available for retail sale; the larger diameter reduces leverage of the fingers, making it much harder to grip.
I also made the rope a bit longer, which allows me to stand on a bench and get a few extra reps per set. 

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2012, 05:16:41 PM »
Mine suck but I do make a bit of progress using Rest Pause.

Sit on a bench with the barbell,do a set of wrist curls until the pain is almost unbearable,set the bar down on bench(stay seated),take a few deep breaths,grab it again and go for more reps,repeat one more time.........that consitutes one set.

Do 3-4 sets like this, and apply the same principle to Reverse Wrist Curls or Reverse Curls and you`re good to go!! 

Monty,I love using a wrist roller......always have a homemade one on hand at home.

Using sponges in your hands will also help your forearms grow,and thick bar curls and arm work as well.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2012, 05:23:39 PM »
Using sponges in your hands will also help your forearms grow,and thick bar curls and arm work as well.

The foam swimming "noodles" work quite well for this.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2012, 05:36:51 PM »

The foam swimming "noodles" work quite well for this.
No shit,I`ll have to try them out.

Thanks bro!  ;)

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2012, 05:48:30 PM »
No shit,I`ll have to try them out.

Thanks bro!  ;)

Sure!
It's kind of a poor-man's "Fat-Gripz." I've used pipe insulation for other applications, but the swimming noodles are ideal because they're much more dense, and you can purchase extra thick ones. Best part is, if you lose them, no big deal.
There's quite a variety of sizes, so be sure to get the ones with the 1-inch core. These fit a standard barbell/dumbbell handle perfectly.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2012, 07:25:15 PM »
somebody mentioned old school rope with weight on end rollups i do them every wk and then either reverse curl or behind the back wrist curl on the cable crossover station..

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2012, 05:46:05 AM »

Sure!
It's kind of a poor-man's "Fat-Gripz." I've used pipe insulation for other applications, but the swimming noodles are ideal because they're much more dense, and you can purchase extra thick ones. Best part is, if you lose them, no big deal.
There's quite a variety of sizes, so be sure to get the ones with the 1-inch core. These fit a standard barbell/dumbbell handle perfectly.
Cool,will do......... thanks Monty.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2012, 06:02:41 AM »
only time i used a sponge was as a boy--my mum used to ask why there was holes in the bath sponge :P  but on a seriouse note..i have to try it with sponges in my hands.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2012, 09:08:54 AM »
Montague: Swimming noodles..great idea. Going to run that by the athletic dept or probably just get them on my own to see how things work out..

Wes: another good BB'ing trick (sponges ) that's has been around for a long time. Some have used regular pot holders (kitchen, not roach clips). Even use pot holders on heavier benches, some guy's, and a lot of women, have a problem with the bar digging into the heels/palms of the hands . Also give a sense of more control with the bar, for some. Cutting thicker water hoses to length, splitting down the middle, and placing over the Bar/DB handle is another.

One of the better overlooked exercise for the grip/forearms/biceps is the reverse grip BB curl. Suggest trying it with a false grip (thumbs over the bar, rather than under) for improved grip. Should be much improved with a noodle or sponge, Good Luck.

Side Bar: Donny may need a super sized noodle before long.
F

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2012, 10:00:55 AM »
JPM---thanks mate but my pecker is too small ::)

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2012, 04:56:13 PM »
Montague: Swimming noodles..great idea. Going to run that by the athletic dept or probably just get them on my own to see how things work out..

Thanks. They're certainly a lot more cost-effective than purchasing thick bars!

Rudee

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2012, 03:26:17 PM »
I've been lifting for decades, and I have yet to see someone go from having skinny forearms to having huge ripped forearms.   Forearms are like calf muscles, you're either blessed with having them or you're not. 

Meso_z

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2012, 06:01:27 AM »
I've been lifting for decades, and I have yet to see someone go from having skinny forearms to having huge ripped forearms.   Forearms are like calf muscles, you're either blessed with having them or you're not. 
sad but true.. You can improve them though.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2012, 09:15:25 AM »
The wrist (usually can indicate the true bone size, as does the ankle...if obese, than not so much)  measurement has  lot to do with the potential forearm mass. Though there are exceptions, as in everything else. Worked on a job with a welder once, a short, skinny & small boned guy, who had Popeye forearms. But that was about it. Genetics again.

Suggest reverse BB curls (alternate a overhand grip to a false one from time toe time) which also affect the biceps greatly. Also the wrist roller, keeping the forearm at a 90 degree position and elbows somewhat close to the body.

Hammer grip DB curls and Hammer grip chins have helped some with forearm size. Gripping (static and otherwise) boost strength, though no so much pure muscle mass. Large bone men seem to gain the most, with size and power. Good Luck.
F