Author Topic: The Atheist Thread  (Read 89658 times)

DKlent

• Getbig III
Re: The Atheist Thread
« Reply #50 on: June 26, 2012, 11:01:43 AM »
Why do atheists have churches with ordained ministers?  What's next, an atheist Bible?  Or do they already have one?

All of your "Why do atheists...?" posts are generalizations. Your real question needs to be "Why do THESE atheists...?"

I am not insecure, insensitive nor do I have a church.

garebear

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Never question my instincts.
« Reply #51 on: June 27, 2012, 06:50:54 AM »
There is nothing wrong with teaching facts, theories, fiction, etc. 

The reference to teaching was about parents teaching their own kids.  Parents can choose to teach their kids whatever they want. 

You have your beliefs and choose to believe in them, but you haven't proven anything to anyone and you know it.

G

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #52 on: June 27, 2012, 10:43:22 AM »
You have your beliefs and choose to believe in them, but you haven't proven anything to anyone and you know it.

???  What exactly do I need to prove to "anyone"? 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #53 on: July 11, 2012, 01:01:06 PM »

All of your "Why do atheists...?" posts are generalizations. Your real question needs to be "Why do THESE atheists...?"

I am not insecure, insensitive nor do I have a church.

You might want to take a closer look at what I posted. 

garebear

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #54 on: July 11, 2012, 06:35:21 PM »
G

DKlent

• Getbig III
« Reply #55 on: July 11, 2012, 07:24:50 PM »
You might want to take a closer look at what I posted. 

Why are so many atheists so insecure?
Why are some atheists so paranoid? 
Why are some atheists so disrespectful?

I'm an Atheist and I'm not insecure, paranoid or disrespectful (except to that which deserves disrespect).

So your posts are generalizations.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #56 on: July 11, 2012, 07:33:11 PM »
Why are so many atheists so insecure?
Why are some atheists so paranoid? 
Why are some atheists so disrespectful?

I'm an Atheist and I'm not insecure, paranoid or disrespectful (except to that which deserves disrespect).

So your posts are generalizations.

Somewhat, although I wasn't referring to all atheists.  That's why my comments were qualified.  I know atheists who are not insecure, paranoid, or disrespectful. 

DKlent

• Getbig III
« Reply #57 on: July 11, 2012, 07:38:15 PM »
Somewhat, although I wasn't referring to all atheists.  That's why my comments were qualified.  I know atheists who are not insecure, paranoid, or disrespectful. 

And I know Christians who are insecure, paranoid and disrespectful and can provide sources proving this to be the case for specific Christians. So what is your point? Why post links about Atheists exhibiting negative traits when anyone can do it for Christians too? I don't get that.

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #58 on: July 12, 2012, 08:41:04 AM »
And I know Christians who are insecure, paranoid and disrespectful and can provide sources proving this to be the case for specific Christians. So what is your point? Why post links about Atheists exhibiting negative traits when anyone can do it for Christians too? I don't get that.

because the links are stupid, that's the point.

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
  • Isaiah40:28-31 ✝ Romans10:9 ✝ 1Peter3:15
« Reply #59 on: July 12, 2012, 12:17:25 PM »
Can atheists provide any peer-reviewed evidence that supports the existence of "The Atheist Thread"?  Honestly, there's as much evidence for the existence of "The Atheist Thread" as there is for the Flying Spaghetti Monster or the Almighty Gnome.

More atrocities have been committed in the name of no God whatsoever than in any other circumstance.

Atheism is a fairytale and a product of brainwashing.....it's been proven that Atheist parents raise strictly Atheist children.    

Atheism is for the weak-minded masses that can't fend for themselves.

These are what we call jokes mind you.   :D

garebear

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #60 on: July 12, 2012, 05:19:49 PM »
G

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #61 on: July 13, 2012, 07:20:58 AM »

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #62 on: July 13, 2012, 09:09:07 AM »
I think we need to return to worship the gods of old.
Zeus must be pretty pissed that no one worships him anymore.

Or hell, lets go all the way to the Norse gods. Im sure Odin would kick all our asses.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #63 on: July 13, 2012, 05:14:58 PM »

Because this is an atheist thread, so I'm posting comments and questions about some atheists. 

garebear

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #64 on: July 13, 2012, 05:40:59 PM »
Because this is an atheist thread, so I'm posting comments and questions about some atheists. 

G

syntaxmachine

• Getbig IV
« Reply #65 on: July 13, 2012, 06:47:37 PM »
Here's the lowdown on generalizations.

Generalizations are fine if we are interested in a sociological sense in how certain groups tend to behave in certain ways. However, if they are being used to write off a group's opinion, then they are fallacious.

As an example of how generalizations can easily be used to write off others, I can cite the decades of research indicating that: religiosity is inversely correlated with IQ, test scores, GPA, and educational attainment more generally, plus the data showing that more intelligent children end up being less intelligent later in life, and that extremely few eminent scientists -- especially the physicists who study the celestial mechanisms Christians constantly tell us must have a religious explanation -- are religious. This holds within the U.S. and across a wide swathe of countries. The correlations are strong enough such that I can pick out a random Christian in this country and say with a high degree of confidence that they are less intelligent than a random irreligious person I pick out.

This is an interesting generalization to discuss and indeed, I have a theory as to why less intelligent people are attracted to the ideas of Christianity. But under no circumstances do I use this generalization to write off Christian opinion. One must still argue the specific propositions at hand and listen to the other side, genuinely trying to understand them before evaluating their arguments. I still must have good arguments against the supposed historical evidence for Jesus' miracles, for the supposed necessity of God's existence, and so forth. Generalizations about Christians don't relieve me of the burden of actually having a defensible worldview.

So too with Christians. If atheists have a tendency to be insecure, less happy, liberal douchebags (I haven't looked at data corroborating any of this so I don't know), then this will be an interesting sociological fact but it will not do anything to help Christians make their ideas more defensible.

DKlent

• Getbig III
« Reply #66 on: July 13, 2012, 08:29:28 PM »

So why did you say "some atheists"?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #67 on: July 14, 2012, 01:29:07 PM »
So why did you say "some atheists"?

Because, as I said on page 1 of this thread, my comments and questions don't apply to all atheists.

DKlent

• Getbig III
« Reply #68 on: July 14, 2012, 01:34:00 PM »
Because, as I said on page 1 of this thred, my comments and questions don't apply to all atheists.

I personally see no point to it in general. Any group of any people can include all sorts of bad people. Pointing out desperate, greedy, angry, frustrated atheists doesn't prove anything.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #69 on: July 14, 2012, 01:43:24 PM »

I personally see no point to it in general. Any group of any people can include all sorts of bad people. Pointing out desperate, greedy, angry, frustrated atheists doesn't prove anything.

I didn't call anyone a bad person.

Pointing out that some atheists are disrespectful, paranoid, extremists, and just as dogmatic as devout Christians proves that some atheists are disrespectful, paranoid, extemists, and just as dogmatic as some Christians.

DKlent

• Getbig III
« Reply #70 on: July 14, 2012, 02:01:20 PM »
I didn't call anyone a bad person.

Pointing out that some atheists are disrespectful, paranoid, extremists, and just as dogmatic as devout Christians proves that some atheists are disrespectful, paranoid, extemists, and just as dogmatic as some Christians.

Who is claiming that there are NO atheists who are disrespectful paranoid dogmatic etc.?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #71 on: July 14, 2012, 02:07:28 PM »

Who is claiming that there are NO atheists who are disrespectful paranoid dogmatic etc.?

I don't know.  Are you?

DKlent

• Getbig III
« Reply #72 on: July 14, 2012, 02:22:18 PM »

garebear

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #73 on: July 15, 2012, 06:31:45 AM »
G