Author Topic: The Atheist Thread  (Read 89995 times)

Radical Plato

• Getbig V
  • Rhetoric is the art of ruling the minds of men.
Re: The Atheist Thread
« Reply #75 on: August 02, 2012, 07:23:02 AM »
More from Einstein - this is why he is considered brilliant.

A Man's only real choice is to content themselves with their imperfect knowledge and understanding and treat values and moral obligations as a purely human problem—the most important of all human problems.  The word God is nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses.   the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. No interpretation no matter how subtle can change this.  I believe in Spinoza's God, who reveals himself in the harmony of all that exists, not in a God who concerns himself with the fate and the doings of mankind.

I cannot conceive of a God who rewards and punishes his creatures, or has a will of the type of which we are conscious in ourselves. An individual who should survive his physical death is also beyond my comprehension, nor do I wish it otherwise; such notions are for the fears or absurd egoism of feeble souls. Enough for me the mystery of the eternity of life, and the inkling of the marvellous structure of reality, together with the single-hearted endeavour to comprehend a portion, be it never so tiny, of the reason that manifests itself in nature.

Your question [about God] is the most difficult in the world. It is not a question I can answer simply with yes or no. I am not an Atheist. I do not know if I can define myself as a Pantheist. The problem involved is too vast for our limited minds. May I not reply with a parable? The human mind, no matter how highly trained, cannot grasp the universe. We are in the position of a little child, entering a huge library whose walls are covered to the ceiling with books in many different tongues. The child knows that someone must have written those books. It does not know who or how. It does not understand the languages in which they are written. The child notes a definite plan in the arrangement of the books, a mysterious order, which it does not comprehend, but only dimly suspects. That, it seems to me, is the attitude of the human mind, even the greatest and most cultured, toward God. We see a universe marvelously arranged, obeying certain laws, but we understand the laws only dimly. Our limited minds cannot grasp the mysterious force that sways the constellations.
V

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #76 on: August 04, 2012, 10:39:44 AM »

A Man's only real choice is to content themselves with their imperfect knowledge and understanding and treat values and moral obligations as a purely human problem—the most important of all human problems.  The word God is nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses.   the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. No interpretation no matter how subtle can change this.  I believe in Spinoza's God, who reveals himself in the harmony of all that exists, not in a God who concerns himself with the fate and the doings of mankind.

I cannot conceive of a God who rewards and punishes his creatures, or has a will of the type of which we are conscious in ourselves. An individual who should survive his physical death is also beyond my comprehension, nor do I wish it otherwise; such notions are for the fears or absurd egoism of feeble souls. Enough for me the mystery of the eternity of life, and the inkling of the marvellous structure of reality, together with the single-hearted endeavour to comprehend a portion, be it never so tiny, of the reason that manifests itself in nature.

Your question [about God] is the most difficult in the world. It is not a question I can answer simply with yes or no. I am not an Atheist. I do not know if I can define myself as a Pantheist. The problem involved is too vast for our limited minds. May I not reply with a parable? The human mind, no matter how highly trained, cannot grasp the universe. We are in the position of a little child, entering a huge library whose walls are covered to the ceiling with books in many different tongues. The child knows that someone must have written those books. It does not know who or how. It does not understand the languages in which they are written. The child notes a definite plan in the arrangement of the books, a mysterious order, which it does not comprehend, but only dimly suspects. That, it seems to me, is the attitude of the human mind, even the greatest and most cultured, toward God. We see a universe marvelously arranged, obeying certain laws, but we understand the laws only dimly. Our limited minds cannot grasp the mysterious force that sways the constellations.
does make you think...

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
  • Isaiah40:28-31 ✝ Romans10:9 ✝ 1Peter3:15
« Reply #77 on: August 05, 2012, 02:25:36 PM »
Sup Getbig atheists?! 

garebear

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Never question my instincts.
« Reply #78 on: August 05, 2012, 04:40:12 PM »
Sup Getbig atheists?! 
Chillin like a villain named Bob Dylan who sold smack cause he was hooked on penicilin.
G

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #79 on: August 05, 2012, 10:45:25 PM »
Chillin like a villain named Bob Dylan who sold smack cause he was hooked on penicilin.

Word.

Radical Plato

• Getbig V
« Reply #80 on: August 08, 2012, 04:11:16 AM »
Word.
Thats Groovy - Right on Ace, to the max, Boo-yah, Catch you on the rebound, Ya Dig?, Jive Turkey, So Mellow out and Take a chill pill,
V

garebear

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #81 on: August 08, 2012, 05:02:22 PM »
G

Griffith

• Getbig V
« Reply #82 on: August 09, 2012, 09:35:52 AM »

End of thread.

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #83 on: August 10, 2012, 07:42:43 AM »

Great explanation.

I've been agnostic since i was 18, i went to church for 18 years and quickly learned what it was all about. People need to study history and realize why religion was put in place.

8)

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #84 on: August 10, 2012, 06:23:38 PM »
Great explanation.

I've been agnostic since i was 18, i went to church for 18 years and quickly learned what it was all about. People need to study history and realize why religion was put in place.

8)

There's good news!  Organized religion is not a requirement for a relationship with Christ.

Radical Plato

• Getbig V
« Reply #85 on: August 10, 2012, 09:28:35 PM »
There's good news!  Organized religion is not a requirement for a relationship with Christ.
Christ is DEAD! No relationship possible, except an imaginary one!
V

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #86 on: August 10, 2012, 10:56:40 PM »
Christ is DEAD! No relationship possible, except an imaginary one!

Try him for yourself...prove me wrong....I double dog dare ya!!

Radical Plato

• Getbig V
« Reply #87 on: August 11, 2012, 01:52:38 AM »
Try him for yourself...prove me wrong....I double dog dare ya!!
I prefer the route of self reliance, way more reliable.  Belief in make believe is a sure way to disappointment - no amount of belief in Santa Claus will see him come down the chimney at Christmas.
V

garebear

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #88 on: August 11, 2012, 04:11:12 AM »
G

garebear

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #89 on: August 11, 2012, 04:12:07 AM »
G

garebear

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #90 on: August 11, 2012, 04:13:14 AM »
G

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #91 on: August 11, 2012, 10:25:53 AM »
I prefer the route of self reliance, way more reliable.  Belief in make believe is a sure way to disappointment - no amount of belief in Santa Claus will see him come down the chimney at Christmas.

"Aim at Heaven and you will get Earth thrown in. Aim at Earth and you will get neither."

As far as belief in make believe is concerned you are correct that it will produce nothing, but faith in Christ opens eyes to things unseen.

garebear

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #92 on: August 18, 2012, 05:30:17 AM »
"Aim at Heaven and you will get Earth thrown in. Aim at Earth and you will get neither."

As far as belief in make believe is concerned you are correct that it will produce nothing, but faith in Christ opens eyes to things unseen.

Like evolution or the sun being the center of the universe, for instance?

G

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #93 on: August 20, 2012, 10:43:28 AM »
Like evolution or the sun being the center of the universe, for instance?

Uh, ok.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #94 on: August 21, 2012, 03:42:52 PM »
Why are some atheists so sensitive?  I heard that the people who filed this are actually claiming looking at this "cross" cause them emotional distress. 

Conservative law firm fights atheists’ suit over cross at 9/11 museum
By Steve Strunsky
Religion News Service, Updated: Tuesday, August 21, 9:50

A lawsuit that was filed by the group American Atheists to keep a revered cross out of the National September 11 Museum is being challenged by a conservative law firm that defends the public display of religious symbols.

The American Center for Law and Justice filed a friend-of-the-court brief Monday (Aug. 20) on behalf of the suit’s two defendants, the National September 11 Memorial & Museum Foundation and the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, which owns the site.

Weigh InCorrections?Recommend Tweet Personal Post .“The legal arguments of the atheist organization are both offensive and absurd,” the center’s chief counsel, Jay Sekulow, said in a statement. He said 190,000 people had signed a petition opposing the lawsuit.

The lawsuit is just one more controversy surrounding the 9/11 museum, which has been delayed by an ongoing financial dispute between the foundation and the Port Authority. Most recently, the foundation has resisted efforts by some victims’ family members to place the Koenig Sphere at the entrance to the museum. Like the cross, the sphere survived the attack damaged but intact, and has become a symbol of resilience.

The 9/11 museum isn’t open yet. But the foundation plans to include the 17-foot cross among more than 1,000 objects, including firetrucks, an ambulance and the 37-foot “Last Column,” left standing on the site of the former World Trade Center. The cross is actually two intersecting steel beams, found amid the wreckage of the collapsed twin towers after the 9/11 attacks.

American Atheists filed the suit a year ago in U.S. District Court in Manhattan. The suit claims that including the cross in a museum on public property amounts to an unconstitutional government endorsement of religion. It also asserts the presence of the cross would result in injury — emotional and even physical in the case of extreme anxiety — to atheists left feeling excluded from what should be a place of unity and healing.

The foundation acknowledged in a filing in response to the suit that the cross “was venerated by certain workers during the course of the rescue and recovery operation at Ground Zero, including in religious services conducted by a priest.”

But, it insists, the cross is being included for historical, not religious, purposes.

For its part, the foundation argues that as a private, nonprofit group, it is not bound by the Establishment Clause of the First Amendment, the constitutional basis for the separation of church and state.

The Port Authority notes that it “has no role in the display of the steel cross in the museum.”

The Washington-based ACLJ, founded by religious broadcaster Pat Robertson, describes itself as a nonprofit, pro bono law firm “dedicated to the concept that freedom and liberty are universal, God-given and inalienable rights that must be protected.”

Michael Frazier, a spokesman for the 9/11 foundation, said his group had not sought the center’s help. “While it may be kind, we have not been working with the ACLJ,” he said.

Edwin Kagin, the American Atheists’ national legal director, welcomed the center inserting itself into the case.

“It’s fine with me,” Kagin said. “It’s merely more proof that religion is truly behind this.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/on-faith/conservative-law-firm-fights-atheists-suit-over-cross-at-911-museum/2012/08/21/0af349d0-ebc8-11e1-866f-60a00f604425_story.html

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #95 on: August 21, 2012, 03:44:16 PM »
Waaaah! 

Group Aims to Silence Prayer at Football Games
Aug 21, 2012
By Todd Starnes

Weekends in the Deep South are anchored by two long-cherished traditions – church on Sunday and football on Friday. And it’s no surprise that in many Southern cities and towns football and faith go hand-in-hand.

That is certainly the case in Southaven, Miss. where football season generates a revival-like fervor – where traditions are treasured.

For decades, before the first pigskin was passed, before the glee club sang of the “rocket’s red glare,” the crowd would be summoned to their feet. Hats were removed. Heads were bowed. And for just a moment – a hush fell over the stadium as a student delivered an invocation.

But over the past few years the intersection of the Gospel and gridiron has erupted into a storm of controversy. Christians across the Southern states have come under a fierce and relentless attack from outsiders hell-bent on banishing prayer from high school sports.

And so it was on last Friday night when the Desoto Central Jaguars opened their football season they did so without a student-led prayer. The tradition was banished after the school system was threatened with a lawsuit.

School districts across the state of Mississippi received the letter – written by the Freedom From Religion Foundation – a Wisconsin-based group whose purpose is to “protect the constitutional principle of separation between state and church.”

The FFRF’s letter informed school superintendents that it is “illegal for a public school to organize, sponsor, or lead prayers at public high school athletic events.”
“You shouldn’t have to pray in order to enjoy your high school football game,” said Annie Lauire Gaylor, co-president of the FFRF.

Gaylor told Fox News the group sent similar letters to school districts in Tennessee, Louisiana and Alabama. But the Magnolia state, she said, has been most egregious.

“We were getting so many complaints out of Mississippi about illegal prayer at sporting events,” she said. “We wanted to reiterate the law – which is very clear – that you do not have prayer and devotionals in schools – including at athletic events.”

But many Christians across the state are distressed over the ban on prayers – and some say the tactics used by the FFRF to eliminate prayers have been disturbing.

“The idea of threatening our schools leaders with litigation if they practice prayer – it’s a bit disturbing,” said Jim Burnett, pastor of Willow Pointe Church in Hattiesburg. “I think these kinds of times have a refining effect on the church. It’s time for the Christian community to stand up and speak out in a godly way.”

Carmen Kyle stood up.

She’s lived in Desoto County for more than 20 years. She has a 16-year-old who is a junior at Desoto Central High School and another child who is a seventh grader. She was part of a grassroots effort to save the high school football prayer.

Thousands of people joined a Facebook group called DesotoCounty4Prayer. Churches across north Mississippi rallied. T-shirts were made. But in the end – their efforts failed.

And on Friday night Kyle was in the bleachers with her family – watching the football game – without a prayer.

“It makes me sad for generations to come,” she told Fox News. “There’s no expression of a belief system any longer.”

On the way home from the game, Kyle’s 16-year-old son brought up the absence of prayer.

“He said, ‘that just makes me sad,” she recounted. “I said this is a perfect example – at 16-years-old where you are experiencing Christian persecution.”

“I hate it for generations to come that they won’t be able to express – that’s what prayer is,” she said. “You’re praying that God will protect those athletes, that God will surround that field with protection. You don’t have that anymore.”

It’s a tradition that’s not lost on Congressman Alan Nunnellee. The Republican represents Mississippi’s first congressional district.

“Prayer is a part of our culture in Mississippi,” he told Fox News. “We turn to prayer in times of tragedy, but it’s important for schools and extracurricular activities to prepare students to deal with the good times of life and the bad times of life. And the way we do that in Mississippi is through prayer.”

Nunellee said “prayer in public settings is part of our culture not just in Mississippi but in America.”

Nevertheless, said Gaylor, it is against the law.

“The secular constitution of the United States is part of the cultural heritage of Mississippi and is a longtime custom,” she said. “It doesn’t matter if it’s a longtime custom to violate the law. You have to stop violating it. In fact, that makes it more egregious.”

Gaylor said the fact is that many students and parents are offended by the prayers, both religious and non-religious.

“They should not have to forfeit playing on a football team or forfeit attending their football game at school because they are not religious or because they are not Christian,” she said.

But now many Christians across the southern states said they feel like second-class citizens – and in some communities there are small acts of defiance.

At Purvis High School in Hattiesburg cheerleaders passed out copies of the Lord’s Prayer – so football fans could read it during a moment of silence.

“We’re not allowed to pray as a school, so we’re doing it on our own,” student Hallie Litolff told the Hattiesburg American.

Pastor Burnett cautioned Christians on how they respond to the attacks.

“Be led by God,” he said. “We have to be careful.”

“Maybe God is asking us if we’ve had enough yet,” he wondered. “The country is turning against what we believe the Bible teaches.”

http://radio.foxnews.com/toddstarnes/top-stories/group-aims-to-silence-prayer-at-football-games.html

garebear

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #96 on: August 22, 2012, 12:43:47 AM »
G

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #97 on: August 22, 2012, 08:50:02 AM »
Atheists' road signs attack faiths of Romney, Obama ahead of Democratic convention
By Mary Quinn O'Connor
Published August 22, 2012
FoxNews.com

CHARLOTTE, N.C. –  Just as the city of Charlotte, N.C., gears up to host the Democratic National Convention, an atheist group is mounting a billboard campaign attacking the religious faiths of President Obama and GOP challenger Mitt Romney.

The signs, paid for by American Atheists Incorporated (AAI) and appearing along keylocal highways, include messages such as: "Christianity: Sadistic God, Useless Savior" and "Mormonism: Magic Underwear, Baptizes Dead People, Big Money, Big Bigotry." AAI President David Silverman told FoxNews.com the signs are aimed at keeping religion and politics separate as the convention gets under way Sept. 3.

"It’s never appropriate to insult another person, it’s never appropriate to disrespect another person.”
- Christian Life Center Pastor Mark Matthews

Other faiths, including Judaism and Islam, were spared because the billboards are designed to attack GOP nominee Mitt Romney, a Mormon, and President Obama, a Christian, according to AAI. They will remain up for a month, and cost Silverman's group $15,000.

"We chose Christianity and Mormonism for these billboards because those are the religious faiths of the two presumed candidates for president," said Amanda Knief, managing director for American Atheists "The president of the United States is in a position to make life-changing decisions for all Americans. We believe it is perfectly reasonable to ask whether each candidate will choose to follow his religious faith or the U.S. Constitution when making those decisions."

But the ads have proved to be offensive to some.

"Of course it’s not appropriate, it’s never appropriate to insult another person, it’s never appropriate to disrespect another person,” Christian Life Center Pastor Mark Matthews told FoxNews.com.

Kevin Madrzykowski, general manager of the Charlotte office of Adams Outdoor Advertising, which rented billboard space to AAI, said his company backs the group's right to get its message out.

"The upcoming Democratic National Convention will bring to Charlotte people of varying viewpoints and a diversity of opinion," Madrzykowski said in a statement. "The ability to express one's opinion is a right and a privilege at the core of a democratic society."

The anti-Mormon billboard was originally planned for Tampa, where Mitt Romney will accept his nomination for president at the Republican National Convention. But private billboard companies in Tampa refused to put up the ad. Clear Channel Outdoor spokesman Jim Cullinan told the Daily Mail the American Atheists' campaign was not appropriate.

"We worked with them before, but we don't post attack ads," Cullinan said.

Silverman said the Florida companies' refusal to post billboards attacking peoples' beliefs was a case of bigotry against atheists.

“We are very happy that we found a company that allowed us to express our freedom of speech, our opinions [in Charlotte],” said Silverman.  “We are also very dismayed at the bigotry that we received in Tampa when we weren’t allowed to post our views.”

The First Amendment and freedom of speech protect American Atheists, making the billboards perfectly legal. FoxNews.com reached out to representatives for the Democratic National Convention for comment on the billboards but did not hear back.

Should religion play a role in the electorates vote for President?  “We are not a Christian nation; we have never been a Christian nation and we never will be,” said Silverman.

But some argue that religion is at the core of America. “All you have to do is go to Washington and look at all the Scripture quotations all over the buildings in Washington, D.C.,” said Matthews.

The Republican National Convention will be in Tampa August 27 - 30. The Democratic National Convention will be in Charlotte September 3 - 6.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/08/22/signs-attack-religion-ahead-democratic-convention/

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #98 on: August 22, 2012, 01:31:19 PM »

And what purpose do homosexuals serve in the grand scheme of evolution, again?

Radical Plato

• Getbig V
« Reply #99 on: August 25, 2012, 01:43:15 AM »
And what purpose do homosexuals serve in the grand scheme of evolution, again?
There are reminder that evolution is a flawed system, keeping mutations around for far too long.
V