Author Topic: North Carolina -Relocation ( Serious Question)  (Read 11047 times)

NYSTATEOFMIND

• Getbig IV
  • Getbigs Reporter of perverse news
North Carolina -Relocation ( Serious Question)
« on: May 24, 2012, 07:16:35 PM »
I am thinking about moving to North Carolina at possibly next year. Company has offices in both Charlotte and Raleigh ( RTP). I will probably go visit both places at some point but which area is actually better for a fella in his mid 30s. Which has more nightlife ( shit to do) culture etc and is safer ( if i wanna raise a family)...i get mixed reviews when i do research

getbig or getgot

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
Re: North Carolina -Relocation ( Serious Question)
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2012, 07:21:31 PM »
Raleigh.  Not as cosmopolitan as Charlotte, but Charlotte proper is a shit hole. Sorry.  

NC State is located in Raleigh so there are plenty of bars & clubs.
Raleigh is closer to the coast- Outter Banks.
Charlotte has a huge Nascar thing
Lots of really bad neighborhood in and around Charlotte.
a

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2012, 07:29:06 PM »
 few yrs ago, Raleigh was voted best place to live.

Not sure now, but the NC school system was  ranked pretty low...something to consider if you have kids.

NYSTATEOFMIND

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2012, 07:31:23 PM »
i am leaning towards raleigh also bc sounds like charlotte employment is tied to the banking industry.
getbig or getgot

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2012, 07:31:49 PM »
Best state in the USA beaches one end mountains other end course I live there so biased opinion.

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2012, 07:33:44 PM »
Best state in the USA beaches one end mountains other end course I live there so biased opinion.

Winston-Salem, 14 years.  Agree, great beaches, great mountains.
a

Parker

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2012, 07:34:42 PM »
i am leaning towards raleigh also bc sounds like charlotte employment is tied to the banking industry.
Raleigh Research Triangle---Raleigh/Durham/Garner area has lots of educated singles, many from up north. Many come to go to school at Duke, UNC, NC State, A&T, and stay or many move down.

NYSTATEOFMIND

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2012, 07:36:17 PM »
Raleigh Research Triangle---Raleigh/Durham/Garner area has lots of educated singles, many from up north. Many come to go to school at Duke, UNC, NC State, A&T, and stay or many move down.

my lady wont like that part... ;D
getbig or getgot

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2012, 07:38:22 PM »
Winston-Salem, 14 years.  Agree, great beaches, great mountains.
I lived there 5 years nice town.

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2012, 07:41:41 PM »
Go Demon Deacons!
a

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2012, 07:43:33 PM »
Go Demon Deacons!
They are good some years, suck most years.

steamboatwillie

• Getbig II
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2012, 08:33:01 PM »
The east half of the state is mostly know-it-all douchebag liberals.  Safer, yes...but its pretty gay.  Charlotte has everything.  You can live in the hood, the university area, downtown (which is slightly gay), or in white suburbia.  If you pull six figures as a household you can live in a great neighborhood with very convenient shopping and food, and tons of hot soccer moms.  If not (like me), you can live in a nice neighborhood 10-15 miles from downtown and still have everything you need close by.  I love it here, and I've lived in d.c., Maryland, no. Virginia, jacksonville, west palm beach, Houston, and Indiana....charlotte is the best by far.

Parker

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2012, 08:43:17 PM »
Two things you will notice: Pace of life slows down (like everything in the south)
and...There are too many damn pine trees!

Things you didn't know: they reintroduced the Red Wolf back in the early 90s. And Black Beard the pirate's ship apparently ran aground on the NC Coast, there was a huge great white shark spotted off the coast, and the outer banks has tons of sharks teeth...

Nirvana

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2012, 08:46:47 PM »
If you're living in the city it doesn't really matter, can't tell the difference living in ATL to Charlotte to San Diego anyhow.

the rest of NC is amazing, mountains full of heritage, best beaches with lighthouses n shit, best tobacco in the world.  the schoolin's fine, they'll learn your kids real right. NASCAR, ric flair, Dale Earnhardt, vince goodrum, Dale Earnhardt Jr., Popcorn Sutton, Cataloochee, Ralph Earnhardt, True Adonis, Cold Mountain, Assville, Nobody, Showstoppa, Outer Banks,

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2012, 09:02:03 PM »
If you're living in the city it doesn't really matter, can't tell the difference living in ATL to Charlotte to San Diego anyhow.

the rest of NC is amazing, mountains full of heritage, best beaches with lighthouses n shit, best tobacco in the world.  the schoolin's fine, they'll learn your kids real right. NASCAR, ric flair, Dale Earnhardt, vince goodrum, Dale Earnhardt Jr., Popcorn Sutton, Cataloochee, Ralph Earnhardt, True Adonis, Cold Mountain, Assville, Nobody, Showstoppa, Outer Banks,
Spot on dawg.

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2012, 10:25:50 PM »

Lol at Vince Goodrum and Ric Flair.

Also to OP if you are a basketball fan like me, Charlotte may be the better choice.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2012, 03:55:58 AM »
Women are beyond fantastic and everyone seems friendly. One thing that I have noticed is that everyone has phony manners. They could hate your guts but you could never tell by the way they speak to you. At least in the NYC area if someone doesn't like you they will tell you to your face repeatedly so you know where you stand. In the south they will kick you while your on the ground and call you sir as they try to kill you.

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2012, 04:56:18 AM »
What is the local economy like; esp for you guys who have lived in different parts of NC - how do they compare?

Is there a strong health care industry?

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2012, 05:01:35 AM »
Women are beyond fantastic and everyone seems friendly. One thing that I have noticed is that everyone has phony manners. They could hate your guts but you could never tell by the way they speak to you. At least in the NYC area if someone doesn't like you they will tell you to your face repeatedly so you know where you stand. In the south they will kick you while your on the ground and call you sir as they try to kill you.

sounds like the Brits, and they call it "taking the piss"

G_Thang

• Getbig V
  • The World South of the USA isnt for pussies!
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2012, 05:32:08 AM »
The east half of the state is mostly know-it-all douchebag liberals.  Safer, yes...but its pretty gay.  Charlotte has everything.  You can live in the hood, the university area, downtown (which is slightly gay), or in white suburbia.  If you pull six figures as a household you can live in a great neighborhood with very convenient shopping and food, and tons of hot soccer moms.  If not (like me), you can live in a nice neighborhood 10-15 miles from downtown and still have everything you need close by.  I love it here, and I've lived in d.c., Maryland, no. Virginia, jacksonville, west palm beach, Houston, and Indiana....charlotte is the best by far.

i'm glad you like it, because i ran the other way when i had a contract offer for north carolina.  i was raised in the south but all things have to come to an end. the only place south i'd live is below mexico.

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2012, 05:34:47 AM »
i'm glad you like it, because i ran the other way when i had a contract offer for north carolina.  i was raised in the south but all things have to come to an end. the only place south i'd live is below mexico.
Yeah, but youre a weird ass fucker. Youre average person doesnt want to move to some South American shithole just for chicks.

G_Thang

• Getbig V
  • The World South of the USA isnt for pussies!
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2012, 05:37:20 AM »
Yeah, but youre a weird ass fucker. Youre average person doesnt want to move to some South American shithole just for chicks.

i worked/am working NPO, so south america would make sense for me.  i do thank you anyway.  ::)

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2012, 06:40:55 AM »
I am thinking about moving to North Carolina at possibly next year. Company has offices in both Charlotte and Raleigh ( RTP). I will probably go visit both places at some point but which area is actually better for a fella in his mid 30s. Which has more nightlife ( shit to do) culture etc and is safer ( if i wanna raise a family)...i get mixed reviews when i do research

Stay.  We don`t want or need any carpetbaggers.  Seriously.  Its been nothing but ruination thus far.

Parker

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2012, 07:37:45 AM »
What is the local economy like; esp for you guys who have lived in different parts of NC - how do they compare?

Is there a strong health care industry?

IBM's headquarters is/was down there in Raleigh...so you have a lot of teckkies down there.

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2012, 07:38:39 AM »

So does Va. ::)