Author Topic: $ for $ - What is the best protein out there for the price  (Read 10729 times)

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • also shopped my pic you tried to make it subtle
Re: $ for $ - What is the best protein out there for the price
« Reply #50 on: June 01, 2012, 09:46:40 AM »
protein powders are all ok, dollar for dollar its the cheapest lean protein source.

yeah some people now say protein isnt even needed to build muscle and little is enough to maintain muscle.

however i see that as dishonest statements.these people refer to studys made with people who dont work out.
you need plenty of protein to build muscle, yeah you can build muscle with less protein and more carbds but youll be fat.

and yeah, maybe you can maintain muscle with less protein if you eat enough fats and carbs, but again, youll be fat.

the "adonis principles" might aplly to women who never lift, but if you want to be lean and somewhat massive, you wont get around a somewhat claen, protein rich diet.

that said, id always prefer a meal to a protein shake, and the pre and post workout shake theories are most likely bullshit.

Yeah I see both ways on this.  Steroids probably change the story but for "unassisted" lifters I think anyone wolfing down more than 100g of protein a day or so is wasting their money.

wild willie

• Getbig V
« Reply #51 on: June 01, 2012, 11:21:21 AM »
This isn't an argument about regular food vs. powders.

The point of my statement was that you need to find somewhere ELSE to shop, because the prices for BOTH the foods you cited and the protein powders are way too high.

Again, say it with me....CLEARANCE SALE!!

I have 4 lbs of whey protein isolate (SDC Nutrition) which cost me less a little over $15. They were marked down for clearance at GNC and I bought them during Gold Card week. One cost $9, the other cost $6.

Even if you don't go that route, Sam's Club sells 5-lb bag of protein powder for around $30. Do you live up North or out West? That must be the explanation for why stuff is so costly.
Yes....I live up north...if you are getting lean ground beef for less than 3-4 dollars a pound.....let me know where you live.....I will move there in a jiffy......without the military discount....what exactly are you paying for lean ground beef.

mogulgangi

• Getbig IV
  • fitness celebrity
« Reply #52 on: June 01, 2012, 12:18:12 PM »
My sweaty warm man sauce

hrspwr

• Getbig IV
« Reply #53 on: June 01, 2012, 12:26:09 PM »
I buy boneless skinless chicken breast for $1.97lb, you have to buy a 5lb pack but it is pretty cheap lean protein.
time under tension

FitnessFrenzy

• Getbig V
  • evolving
« Reply #54 on: June 01, 2012, 03:04:18 PM »
Myofusion ???

I currently have a Myofusion tub of strawberry and cream. Good stuff.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #55 on: June 01, 2012, 03:35:49 PM »
Yes....I live up north...if you are getting lean ground beef for less than 3-4 dollars a pound.....let me know where you live.....I will move there in a jiffy......without the military discount....what exactly are you paying for lean ground beef.

Around $2.50 or less and that's not for ground beef. Certain cuts of steak is actually cheaper than the 97% lean ground beef (even cheaper than the 93% lean).

You might want to come down south, say Virginia, the Carolinas or Florida.

wild willie

• Getbig V
« Reply #56 on: June 01, 2012, 05:19:20 PM »
Around $2.50 or less and that's not for ground beef. Certain cuts of steak is actually cheaper than the 97% lean ground beef (even cheaper than the 93% lean).

I am worried about the quality of meat that is priced so low....

booty

• Getbig V
« Reply #57 on: June 01, 2012, 08:02:54 PM »
I am worried about the quality of meat that is priced so low....
They are using meat glue here in Australia.  It is banned in the usa, but not in aussie.   :-X

DK II

• Getbig V
  • Call me 4 steroids: 571-332-2588 or 571-249-4163
« Reply #58 on: June 01, 2012, 08:23:23 PM »
They are using meat glue here in Australia.  It is banned in the usa, but not in aussie.   :-X

WTF is "meat glue"?

DK II

• Getbig V

booty

• Getbig V
« Reply #61 on: June 01, 2012, 09:17:19 PM »

:-X :-X :-X

I know its disgusting and when butchers brought it out into the open, people were horrified.  It's definitely going to lead to cancer or has and consumers are getting ripped off.  It's wrong and needs to be banned.  The australia government is so anal about banning supplements that you can get in the usa, but yet they allow meat glue.  They are so corrupt and backwards here.

DK II

• Getbig V
« Reply #62 on: June 02, 2012, 12:00:07 AM »
I know its disgusting and when butchers brought it out into the open, people were horrified.  It's definitely going to lead to cancer or has and consumers are getting ripped off.  It's wrong and needs to be banned.  The australia government is so anal about banning supplements that you can get in the usa, but yet they allow meat glue.  They are so corrupt and backwards here.

Fucked up.

EH

• Getbig III
« Reply #63 on: June 02, 2012, 01:04:55 AM »
you can buy a dozen medium eggs at the $.99 store here in SoCal.

besides that, you can pick up some BodyFortress Whey Concentrate for $14 at walmart, or a 6lb (i think) bag of ... crap, i forget... i think cytosport whey? at costco for around $44.... or you can go to protein factory.com or supplement direct.com

Rudee

• Getbig V
« Reply #64 on: June 02, 2012, 02:55:47 PM »
Since I have started taking 6 raw eggs every day for b'fast and 6 raw eggs at work, my strength has increased by one-third.  Absolutely AMAZING, must be the natural enzymes......

Great way to get food poisoning.

Thespritz0

• Getbig IV
« Reply #65 on: June 02, 2012, 03:10:05 PM »
Great way to get food poisoning.
^^
I only use super-fresh eggs and use a vinegar-rinse on the outside of the eggs first to kill salmonella.  Dirty eggs are the cause of poisoning.

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #66 on: June 02, 2012, 03:35:35 PM »
^^
I only use super-fresh eggs and use a vinegar-rinse on the outside of the eggs first to kill salmonella.  Dirty eggs are the cause of poisoning.

"I know those egg manufacturer's are out to get me."
a

wild willie

• Getbig V
« Reply #67 on: June 02, 2012, 04:25:57 PM »

Hey bro.....You get what you pay for.....I can go to a keno parlor and get a steak dinner with potato and salad for 7 bucks.....but again....it is at a keno parlor.....I doubt the quality of the lean ground beef/ steak is very good at that low price.....just my .02 though.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #68 on: June 02, 2012, 06:28:48 PM »
Hey bro.....You get what you pay for.....I can go to a keno parlor and get a steak dinner with potato and salad for 7 bucks.....but again....it is at a keno parlor.....I doubt the quality of the lean ground beef/ steak is very good at that low price.....just my .02 though.

You can buy SEVERAL steak dinners for $7, if you shop properly. Marinades run $0.50 to $0.75. The quality of meat is great.

But, as stated earlier, you live up north. You might want to come down south.

Thespritz0

• Getbig IV
« Reply #69 on: June 03, 2012, 12:57:45 AM »
You douche your eggs before you eat them?  Thats hardcore.  I dont even wanna think about what you must do to your tuna before putting it down
^^
I just open the can and mix with chopped onion and mayo

canyon

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
« Reply #70 on: June 03, 2012, 03:45:36 PM »
Jay Robb...i like the egg white

wild willie

• Getbig V
« Reply #71 on: June 04, 2012, 01:14:42 PM »
You can buy SEVERAL steak dinners for $7, if you shop properly. Marinades run $0.50 to $0.75. The quality of meat is great.

But, as stated earlier, you live up north. You might want to come down south.
I am not in the military and therefore won't get a discount.....I do love the south though.

I have been to Memphis, Tn and Oxford, Ms......love the trees down there....lovely country......still concerned about the quality of meat.

Dr Dutch

• Getbig V
  • The Incredible Dr Dutch
« Reply #72 on: June 04, 2012, 02:08:21 PM »
Where are you from again, wild willie ?

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #73 on: June 04, 2012, 09:53:23 PM »
I am not in the military and therefore won't get a discount.....I do love the south though.

I have been to Memphis, Tn and Oxford, Ms......love the trees down there....lovely country......still concerned about the quality of meat.

The quality of the meat is fine; I just had some of that steak (with black peppercorn flavoring) today for lunch, along with some collard greens.

As for protein powder, I just picked up a 2-lb jug of GNC Whey Isolate 28 for $10 (on clearance).