Author Topic: 'Serpent-Handling' West Virginia Pastor Dies From Snake Bite  (Read 8448 times)

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
  • Isaiah40:28-31 ✝ Romans10:9 ✝ 1Peter3:15
Re: 'Serpent-Handling' West Virginia Pastor Dies From Snake Bite
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2012, 11:50:27 AM »
And these signs shall follow them that believe: In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues. They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover. (Mark 16:17-18

Actually theologians agree that the snake handling in Mark was representative of the ministry at that time and was not a lasting promise for all time (mistake made by some churches today).  Yes, I'm fully aware that these verses in Mark aren't contained in every biblical manuscript, but they don't contradict or distort scripture.  Still, during Paul's ministry in the book of Acts he was bitten by a snake and survived.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2012, 02:57:40 PM »
Actually theologians agree that the snake handling in Mark was representative of the ministry at that time and was not a lasting promise for all time (mistake made by some churches today).  Yes, I'm fully aware that these verses in Mark aren't contained in every biblical manuscript, but they don't contradict or distort scripture.  Still, during Paul's ministry in the book of Acts he was bitten by a snake and survived.

As many people do, both believer and non believer 

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2012, 03:02:08 PM »
It's a general term, people in your life, who are good decent people, would be that without religion, people who are A holes and the like would continue to be just that.

Religion does turn people around for sure.  But they also have events in their lives that run them around that have little or nothing to do with religion.  I find that when a person is ready to turn their life around the answers appear.   

garebear

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Never question my instincts.
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2012, 03:57:58 AM »
Exodus Chapter 21, verse 20:

If a man beats his male or female slave with a rod and the slave dies as a direct result, he must be punished, but he is not to be punished if the slave gets up after a day or two, since the slave is his property.
G

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2012, 11:20:37 AM »
Exodus Chapter 21, verse 20:

If a man beats his male or female slave with a rod and the slave dies as a direct result, he must be punished, but he is not to be punished if the slave gets up after a day or two, since the slave is his property.

What is your assumption concerning the state of slave prior to the beating with a rod? 

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2012, 11:31:07 AM »
What is your assumption concerning the state of slave prior to the beating with a rod? 

Man of Steel, I'm pretty sure garebear is a troll, considering his reply to one of my posts was only "your mom", but knock yourself out wasting your breath on feeding this troll, if you wish.    :)

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2012, 11:47:34 AM »
Man of Steel, I'm pretty sure garebear is a troll, considering his reply to one of my posts was only "your mom", but knock yourself out wasting your breath on feeding this troll, if you wish.    :)

Make no mistake, "garebear" is absolutely a troll LOL!  I can recall a couple of random threads in which he posted something like "I love the bible...especially the parts about the dinosaurs".    

I mean, I like avxo and think he attempts to make good conversation, but I don't believe he's on this board looking for answers about God or trying to develop his own relationship with God.  Like many aths and agns he's long since reasoned that notion away.  He's on this board for the love of the debate and nothing more....as one of his first replies to me indicated something like, "just know, this isn't my first rodeo."  He's never been outright ugly to anyone that I can recall so he keeps things civil.  Still, for so many aths and ags this is a game and nothing more..."Trip Up the Christian" and feel superior in front of the nonbelieving majority.  As the minority of believers all we can do is keep our cool, be patient, share the love of Christ and put that all important context around so many misconceptions (as best we're able to).

ritch

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2012, 11:58:52 AM »
The Lord works in mysterious ways...
?

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2012, 08:59:44 AM »
Obviously, most Christians do not interpret it the way that you and the few Pentecostals do. 

The Bible is not open to interpretation.

The Bible is God's Word.  Just as it is written.  Who are you to decide how to interpret the writings within?  Cherry picking and reading between the lines is not very christain-y.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2012, 01:08:18 PM »
The Bible is not open to interpretation.

The Bible is God's Word.  Just as it is written.  Who are you to decide how to interpret the writings within?  Cherry picking and reading between the lines is not very christain-y.

Exactly!  Too bad these few Pentecostals don't agree with you and I.   

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2012, 01:27:22 PM »
Snake Handling is illegal in four or five Appalachian States.  How is that not unconstitutional?  ???  ???  ???

First Amendment: "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof..."

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2012, 03:17:03 PM »
Snake Handling is illegal in four or five Appalachian States.  How is that not unconstitutional?  ???  ???  ???

First Amendment: "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof..."

good point

same goes for polygamy, child brides, slavery, and all kinds of other stuff

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
« Reply #37 on: June 12, 2012, 04:29:46 PM »
good point

same goes for polygamy, child brides, slavery, and all kinds of other stuff

You got me.................... haha  ;D

Still, snake handling shouldn't be illegal in my opinion.  Natural Selection is being legislated away.