Author Topic: steroid scandal 1992  (Read 17422 times)

OLE BIG

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
Re: steroid scandal 1992
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2012, 10:19:12 AM »

I could never understand why Bret always referred to Hall as being green when he arrived in WWF. By that point, Scott had already had some time in up north in MN; he wasn't a jabroni.
Bret's also criticized Flair a lot over the years. For the facts you mentioned above - and many, MANY OTHERS - I don't know how anyone can dispute Flair's quality as a worker. Can you imagine carrying a guy who's dead weight for 60 minutes?

There was definitely something "magical" about Flair & Sting. I never disliked Borden's character, but there were times I was indifferent to his performances and/or angles. But, his matches with Flair never disappointed.

Dusty was a waste.

Flair feuding with Harley over the NWA gold probably gave that belt AND the position of champion more storied prestige than any angle in Alliance history!

Please elaborate.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2012, 12:27:56 PM »
I have asked you to keep that quiet.

;D 

Tell us about the time Rhodes ko'd one of the Warriors and you refused to watch wrestling for a period of time.......

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2012, 01:46:47 PM »
Please elaborate.

Unfortunately - and, as Showstoppa can attest - I have already elaborated plenty.
As for elaborating further, I consider the expenditure of the flexor tendon energy to be a waste.

Read all of my posts in this thread. They beautifully sum up how I feel about "The Dream."

http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=389002.msg5463736#msg5463736

If you'd care to read more elaboration, I will refer you to these:

http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=265295.msg5676477#msg5676477
http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=353874.msg5101451#msg5101451
http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=322982.msg4580533#msg4580533

OLE BIG

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2012, 03:16:24 PM »
;D  

Tell us about the time Rhodes ko'd one of the Warriors and you refused to watch wrestling for a period of time.......

I forgot about that one.  You are like an elephant.  I reckon the Budweiser must be catching up with me.  

It was basically just an overhand right.  I think it was Hawk and he went out like a light.  One of the baddest in the business!  I didn't watch for quite a few months.  I did that quite a bit, you know.

OLE BIG

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2012, 03:32:40 PM »

Unfortunately - and, as Showstoppa can attest - I have already elaborated plenty.
As for elaborating further, I consider the expenditure of the flexor tendon energy to be a waste.

Read all of my posts in this thread. They beautifully sum up how I feel about "The Dream."

http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=389002.msg5463736#msg5463736

If you'd care to read more elaboration, I will refer you to these:

http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=265295.msg5676477#msg5676477
http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=353874.msg5101451#msg5101451
http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=322982.msg4580533#msg4580533

Wow!  I think you have about as much love for Big Dust as I do the red and yellow.

I am going to speak for a certain time frame only.  The American Dream worked.  I have always said, that he was about as over in the Mid-Atlantic as any wrestler, anywhere, anytime.  I think Stoppa would agree at least somewhat with me.  And I think the time I am speaking of (80's) is before his days as booker, but I might be wrong.

I absolutely hated the ground he walked on, and always put him down.  As I have looked back through the years, I have learned to appreciate him and the simplicity of his gimmick and his ability to keep it over for so long. 

He didn't look the best, but he could go an hour with Flair, or Blanchard and not gas which always surprised me.  Whatever "it" is, he had it.

Again, I am speaking of his days in Mid-Atlantic and NWA mainly, although as Stoppa said in on of those other threads, he and Murdoch were WAY over as well.

I am not that familiar with his Vince work, but from what I know, I wouldn't like it.  I always wrote it off as just another case of Vince absolutely refusing to bring someone in and not change them in some way, usually a very big way. 

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2012, 03:38:44 PM »
Wow!  I think you have about as much love for Big Dust as I do the red and yellow.

I am going to speak for a certain time frame only.  The American Dream worked.  I have always said, that he was about as over in the Mid-Atlantic as any wrestler, anywhere, anytime.  I think Stoppa would agree at least somewhat with me.  And I think the time I am speaking of (80's) is before his days as booker, but I might be wrong.

I absolutely hated the ground he walked on, and always put him down.  As I have looked back through the years, I have learned to appreciate him and the simplicity of his gimmick and his ability to keep it over for so long. 

He didn't look the best, but he could go an hour with Flair, or Blanchard and not gas which always surprised me.  Whatever "it" is, he had it.

Again, I am speaking of his days in Mid-Atlantic and NWA mainly, although as Stoppa said in on of those other threads, he and Murdoch were WAY over as well.

I am not that familiar with his Vince work, but from what I know, I wouldn't like it.  I always wrote it off as just another case of Vince absolutely refusing to bring someone in and not change them in some way, usually a very big way. 

Dusty did something right.
I just can't figure out what.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2012, 06:02:21 PM »
As Big said, Dusty was WAY over in the mid-atlantic.  Of course it was a different time when a face was truly a face.  He was the perfect spoil to the Horsemen's arrogance and "high living"  just as in Florida he was the perfect spoil to Sullivan's "satan worship."  Often with Rhodes it wasn't just as simple as him being liked, but also how disliked his foe was. 

Although I loathed him as much as Big, I have to admit two things about Dusty.  First, although it wasn't my favorite style, his mic work was excellent for the role he played.  Second, his in-ring and out of ring psychology was among the best of all-time.  It was always a "big event" with Dusty involved.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2012, 06:07:30 PM »
Often with Rhodes it wasn't just as simple as him being liked, but also how disliked his foe was.

LOL...that reminds me of shoot interviews I've heard with Piper. He claims to have drawn Wrestle Mania. His rationale: fans didn't come to see Hogan win; they came to see Hot Rod get his ass kicked.

I do concede that Rhodes has a fanbase; but, nothing you guys can explain to me will ever make me understand why.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2012, 06:14:19 PM »

LOL...that reminds me of shoot interviews I've heard with Piper. He claims to have drawn Wrestle Mania. His rationale: fans didn't come to see Hogan win; they came to see Hot Rod get his ass kicked.

I do concede that Rhodes has a fanbase; but, nothing you guys can explain to me will ever make me understand why.

I think that it was often the case in the older days for fans to get behind a face just because they wanted to see the heel get what was coming to him.

I was certainly not part of Rhodes fanbase, as a fat, jive talking guy with a lisp was never my thing.....

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2012, 06:16:21 PM »
I was certainly not part of Rhodes fanbase, as a fat, jive talking guy with a lisp was never my thing.....

Good!! ;D

JBGRAY

• Getbig IV
« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2012, 05:46:45 PM »
Ric Flair was considered for a very long time to be one of the industry's greatest workers.  Many see otherwise but that is because for many years he did not carry the WWF style of calling the moves before the match started...Flair would call the shots during the match without much preplanning.

And yea, Vince always liked the big guys.  He always wanted to be one himself.  Like Bret Hart and today's guys like CM Punk and Daniel Bryan, you'd have to work for many years for that title.  Look at guys like Brock Lesnar, Lashley, Mason Ryan, Ryback, etc....all pushed to the moon due to their physiques.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2012, 06:56:59 PM »
There was a period during which Vince liked to frequently use the term "larger than life" on air.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2012, 10:47:18 PM »
Ric Flair was considered for a very long time to be one of the industry's greatest workers.  Many see otherwise but that is because for many years he did not carry the WWF style of calling the moves before the match started...Flair would call the shots during the match without much preplanning.

And yea, Vince always liked the big guys.  He always wanted to be one himself.  Like Bret Hart and today's guys like CM Punk and Daniel Bryan, you'd have to work for many years for that title.  Look at guys like Brock Lesnar, Lashley, Mason Ryan, Ryback, etc....all pushed to the moon due to their physiques.

Don't forget Diesel, Razor, Sid, Ahmed Johnson, The Ultimate Warrior, et al.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #38 on: June 30, 2012, 07:05:58 PM »
current stable wrestlers d otunga build looks great as he dieted down a bit and looks awesome build wise.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: July 01, 2012, 04:28:33 AM »
...for many years he did not carry the WWF style of calling the moves before the match started...Flair would call the shots during the match without much preplanning.

Ricky Steamboat is often asked in interviews what his favorite match was between his I-C bout with Poffo at WMIII and his series of matches with Flair. Rick consistently maintains that he prefers the Flair matches for the reason mentioned above. He claims that - although he likes both - from a worker's standpoint, the Flair matches were more artistic and required more skill to pull off.