Author Topic: Gummy Owls for Weight Loss  (Read 21463 times)

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
Gummy Owls for Weight Loss
« on: June 01, 2012, 08:23:00 AM »
By David Mendosa, Health Guide
Tuesday, May 01, 201

One type of soluble fiber has so many benefits for people with diabetes that I have been recommending it for years. But only now do we have a good-tasting and low-calorie product that can help us lose weight.

The fiber is glucomannan, which some people call konjac fiber because it is the main component of the root of the konjac plant (Amorphophallus konjac) that grows in China and Japan. They call it a yam, but it’s totally different from American or African plants of that name.

Eight years ago today I wrote in Number 70 of my “Diabetes Update” newsletter that we have scientific proof that it reduces our blood cholesterol levels and helps us control our diabetes since it slows digestion and the rate of nutrient absorption from the stomach and intestine. It blunts the rapid rise of blood glucose after a meal. Together with liquid, it forms a gel, absorbing lots of water in our stomach, producing a sensation of fullness.

The new product is just as neat as its name, “Gummy Owls.” Basically, it’s glucomannan sweetened with sugar alcohols and stevia. Each of the little owls has just 4 calories.

The company that makes them and sent them to me for review, Green Forest Nutrition in San Diego, recommends that we eat three to five of these little owls 30 minutes before each meal. Both taste and effectiveness are important to me.

Taste is tricky, because you want something that will taste good -- but not so good that you would eat it like candy. Manufacturers of glucose tabs have the same problem, and from many reports they haven’t solved it well, since lots of people can’t stand the taste of glucose tabs. Gummy Owls, at least for me, taste good enough that I am delighted to eat a few -- but not too many.

And they do seem to be effective for me in losing weight. As I have written here in “When Diabetes Discipline Becomes a Diabetes Obsession,” about how hard it is for me to keep off the weight I have lost, I still have to struggle with my weight.

After a trip last month to Southeast Arizona, I noticed my weight creeping up again. So I was delighted to receive Gummy Owls from Tom U. Gardner at Green Forest Nutrition and to take them before almost every meal for the past week.

My bathroom scales tell me that they really work -- at least for me at this time. This type of anecdotal evidence is not, of course, scientific.

And Gummy Owls are not for everyone. One friend of mine turned down my offer to try a sample, because one ingredient, a coloring agent called carmine, is not vegetarian.

But studies show that many people have results similiar to mine. A study in the journal American Family Physician, titled “Common dietary supplements for weight loss,” shows that glucomannan increases satiety.

A double-blind trial of glucomannan tested whether it woud help 20 obese people lose weight without making any changes in their eating or exercise. This study, “Effect of glucomannan on obese patients: a clinical study,” in The International Journal of Obesity, concluded that they averaged a weight lost of 5.5 pounds in eight weeks.

The experiment that counts, of course, is the one that each of us runs on our own body. If your weight is above the recommended body mass index maximum of 24.9, eating a few Gummy Owls might well help. I try to keep my BMI even lower, less than 20, and they are helping me.

I asked the company if they would create a coupon code giving a discount to readers of this article. They replied that they created a coupon code GFN0612D for $10 off any order at GummyOwls.com through June 30 of this year.

http://www.healthcentral.com/diabetes/c/17/152576/gummy-owls-weight

DK II

• Getbig V
  • Call me 4 steroids: 571-332-2588 or 571-249-4163
Re: Gummy Owls for Weight Loss
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2012, 05:12:28 AM »
I just eat konnyaku, the stuff is dirt cheap.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2012, 05:33:08 AM »

shit looks interesting... gonna see if they have it at the asian grocery store next to my house

http://www.justhungry.com/2007/01/konnyaku_and_shirataki_ojftmhy.html

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2012, 08:19:50 AM »

How much of that stuff do you eat at a time, and how often?

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2012, 11:17:12 AM »

that's what she said

DK II

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2012, 05:09:37 PM »

Depends on how my diet looks like and how hungry I am, lol....

When I cut and want to fill my stomach a bit more, I eat about half of one block. You can cut it up and throw into salads or any kind of dish, it has no taste.

Tastes great with Miso sauce. Well basically the sauce tastes well.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2012, 05:21:02 PM »
i bought a block of the grey and a block of the white today... gonna try it tomorrow... blocks cost about $2 each here (Toronto)

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2012, 05:25:31 PM »
i bought a block of the grey and a block of the white today... gonna try it tomorrow... blocks cost about $2 each here (Toronto)

Is it packed in water?

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2012, 05:56:32 PM »

Is it packed in water?

yessir

i got the prep instructions online... have to blanch it, then let it dry a bit, then cut it up for use

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2012, 06:07:29 PM »
yessir

i got the prep instructions online... have to blanch it, then let it dry a bit, then cut it up for use

Cool. Report back! 8)

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2012, 07:19:29 PM »

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2012, 07:55:27 PM »
Doesn't look very appetizing  :-X

What would make it for weight loss other than the fact there's hardly any calories?  Basically just calorie reduction, no physiological effect right?

I still haven't been able to find  the "real" noodles (not the tofu ones).

http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=414232.0
:

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2012, 08:00:31 PM »
yeah, just calorie reduction... and i saw the noodles but didn't buy them this time around

DK II

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2012, 12:12:00 AM »
Doesn't look very appetizing  :-X

What would make it for weight loss other than the fact there's hardly any calories?  Basically just calorie reduction, no physiological effect right?

I still haven't been able to find  the "real" noodles (not the tofu ones).

http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=414232.0

It does nothing directly for fatburning, but it fills you up and has a lot of fiber.

It just a good healthy food, and even it tastes almost like nothing, so it won't be anyones favorite food I guess.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2012, 06:16:43 AM »
After reading the article WOOO posted, I'd concluded that konnyaku's biggest health benefit is helping combat overeating. Apparently, it consists of about 97% water, while the remainder is mostly fiber (glucomannan), plus some traces of protein, starch and minerals like calcium.

The article also mentioned this:
Since konnyaku is almost zero-calorie, high fiber and very filling. But since it has no significant nutrients other than fiber, be sure not to overuse it. A well known Japanese journalist and writer in the 1960s called Soichi Ohyake was rumored to have died of malnutrition after attempting to lose weight by eating excessive amounts of konnyaku!

Perhaps it is fair to say that, used alone, konnyaku is not neccessarily a healthy food, but is still a healthy addition to a weight-loss diet due to its extremely low calorie content, nutrient value, and the feeling of satiety it provides when consumed with smaller portioned meals.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2012, 06:20:40 AM »
aye aye  >:(

Report back, PLEASE.
 ;D

DK II

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2012, 06:21:07 AM »
After reading the article WOOO posted, I'd concluded that konnyaku's biggest health benefit is helping combat overeating. Apparently, it consists of about 97% water, while the remainder is mostly fiber (glucomannan), plus some traces of protein, starch and minerals like calcium.

The article also mentioned this:

Perhaps it is fair to say that, used alone, konnyaku is not neccessarily a healthy food, but is still a healthy addition to a weight-loss diet due to its extremely low calorie content, nutrient value, and the feeling of satiety it provides when consumed with smaller portioned meals.

Yeah well, I think we all are far above the idea of eating only Konnyaku to lose weight...

It's a good addition to a meal, but nothing more than one ingredient. Only when I diet and have already had my calories for the day and feel like I need to eat some more, I will eat it all alone on itself.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2012, 06:29:18 AM »
Yeah well, I think we all are far above the idea of eating only Konnyaku to lose weight...

It's a good addition to a meal, but nothing more than one ingredient. Only when I diet and have already had my calories for the day and feel like I need to eat some more, I will eat it all alone on itself.

I think it's a great idea, and I'm glad you mentioned it here, as I'd never heard of it.
I'm going to look for it in stores near me after my stupid trip next week.

OTHstrong

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Jasher
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2012, 10:54:23 PM »
I had gummie vitamins before but I will never buy them again cause one day I ate the whole bag and then got sick :P

DK II

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2012, 04:52:25 AM »
I had gummie vitamins before but I will never buy them again cause one day I ate the whole bag and then got sick :P

LOL

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2012, 05:43:03 AM »

overdosing on iron rich vitamins can be more deadly than overdosing on most nsaids

Butterbean

• Special Guests
  • Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2012, 07:40:07 AM »
Gummy "candy" = gross
R

DK II

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2012, 04:24:23 PM »

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2012, 05:28:02 PM »
Gummy "candy" = gross

Gummy Life Savers or Gummy Jolly Ranchers are ok.  Jelly Beans = yuck
and whatever the hell is in that second picture - nasty  :-X

Love these :D

:

Crossbones

• Getbig II
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2012, 07:46:38 PM »

In Toronto as well
Are they available in supermarkets or would I need to trek to Chinatown?