Author Topic: What is the best all around home gym?  (Read 21946 times)

BayGBM

• Getbig V
What is the best all around home gym?
« on: June 13, 2012, 09:08:52 AM »
What is the best all around home gym?  If you had a garage or basement and could put a home gym in it, which one would you get if you could keep it under $2500-$3000.  Pix?

bradistani

• Getbig V
Re: What is the best all around home gym?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2012, 09:16:47 AM »
sorry to be predictable, but it just doesn't get any better. throw in a heavybag and a concept2 rower and your all set  8)

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2012, 09:27:58 AM »
What is the best all around home gym?  If you had a garage or basement and could put a home gym in it, which one would you get if you could keep it under $2500-$3000.  Pix?

More than $3000 but.....

What bradistani posted is almost perfect.

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2012, 01:28:27 PM »
sorry to be predictable, but it just doesn't get any better. throw in a heavybag and a concept2 rower and your all set  8)

Agreed, a good powerrack, A 0-90 degree adjustable bench, A decent bar and #1500 of plates or so. A plate loaded lat machine and a few odd and ends like mats, etc..... should fit right in that range. For dumbbells, buy a few adjustable handles and #200 of standard plates.

http://www.roguefitness.com/rogue-r-3-power-rack.php .

http://www.roguefitness.com/burgener-rippetoe-men-s-bar.php .

http://www.roguefitness.com/legend-3-way-utility-bench.php .

You could change the rack for a deluxe from EliteFTS or Legend Fitness.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2012, 01:35:14 PM »
Elite has great racks but expensive as hell and when they do have sales they rape you on shipping.

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2012, 01:37:01 PM »
Elite has great racks but expensive as hell and when they do have sales they rape you on shipping.

Joe, you posted a pic of a home gym a year or two ago that was pretty damn nice.

It cost a decent amount but it was a helluva nice setup.

Stark

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2012, 01:47:30 PM »

/borat voice/ VERY NIICE!!

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2012, 02:03:17 PM »
I think the olympic bar, power rack, and bench will be great but I would add dumbbells too. Get some IronMaster or power blocks dumbbells. A power rack from Powertec doesn't cost that much.

OTHstrong

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Jasher
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2012, 02:08:33 PM »
For those who are used to going to the gym a home gym is pointless, you won't use it. I spent 4 grand on home gym, olympic weights, squatrack, ab,dip,chinup station, preacher curls, dumbbell rack, tree, and a lot more yet, had it for 6 years and only used it when me and my buddies got drunk a few times a year.

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2012, 02:11:03 PM »
For those who are used to going to the gym a home gym is pointless, you won't use it. I spent 4 grand on home gym, olympic weights, squatrack, ab,dip,chinup station, preacher curls, dumbbell rack, tree, and a lot more yet, had it for 6 years and only used it when me and my buddies got drunk a few times a year.

I'm pretty much the same way. I never had a huge set up but for a while in my early 20's it seemed like I just moved a ton (literally) of weights around every year or so.

I'd sit there and look at the weights all day long but it took actually driving to the gym to get a decent workout.

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2012, 02:16:46 PM »
if you have a lot of room, the classic power rack, bench, dumbbells and barbells are great.
A

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2012, 02:23:25 PM »
i have a home gym and i used it when i workout in the afternoon and the gym is going to be packed. I have a Power rack, dumbbells and rack, barbells, a cable machine, and treadmill. The only thing i find hard to workout at home is legs.
But, truth. If you are going to the gym, save your money and just buy some dumbbells. I know people that go to the gym, and just own a cardio machine so they can do cardio first thing in the morning and night.
A

che

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2012, 02:24:22 PM »
For those who are used to going to the gym a home gym is pointless, you won't use it.

Speak for yourself stud,  I use mine everyday.

This is what you need Bay (Under $2000 ).

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2012, 02:55:59 PM »
I have 1500 sq foot basement with a 9 foot ceiling and I turned most of it into a really good gym. I like training by my self. The music is always what I like. I never have to wait for any equipment.  I have the usual stuff like squat racks, olympic and power bars; benches, leg extension and curl machine, pull down/ low row, chin bar; treadmill, heavy bag, dumbbells, leg press, calf machine, and other junk.

I do understand that some guys like the energy and social aspect of training with others in commercial gyms. Commercial gyms have great equipment.  Back in the late 70's and 80's it was really rare to find a women in the gym. Now it seems it's more than 50% women. It sure gives you something to check out between sets.

2good4u

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2012, 11:19:01 PM »
wow i have been waiting for this topic to come up. i have a stationary bike, a weider weight bench that you can do leg curls with,
a curl bar and a olympic 45lb straight bar, i have a weight tree with 3- 45lb weights 3- 35lb weights 3- 25lb weights 4- 10lbs weights
and 4 5lb weights. i have 2 resistance band ropes one thick and one thin, my weight belt and gloves 2 full length mirrors and thats my
home gym.

and yet i still have a membership at 24hr fitness in the bronx for $44 bucks a month that i never really use. the only problem with a home gym is getting up the motivation to get off the couch and start, but once you do its really great being able to work out at home. i only wish i had a lat pull-down machine for back but everything else i do at home including squats, leg curls, leg extensions etc.

oh i also have 2-50lb dumbells 2-35lb dumbells 2-25lb dumbells 2-12lb dumbells and 2-10lb dumbells and all this takes up very little
space in my hardwood floor studio apartment in new york city. and i probably spent less then $400 dollars for everything, most expensive thing is the stationary bike i got at Modells for $129 bucks and everything else i got off craigslist that people were selling.

Powerlift66

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2012, 04:11:28 AM »

BigCyp

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2012, 04:31:47 AM »
Was discussing this the other day in fact:

1 squat cage bolted to the wall + 1 adjustable hammer strength bench + olympic barbell + rack of dumbells.

Now tell me what bodypart could not be fully developed with the above....

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2012, 05:51:02 AM »
If you ever look at the Ironmaster site you can get a lot done in a small space. Dumbbells and a bench you can do everything.  When it comes time to down size my house I just might go that route.

flipper5470

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2012, 05:53:46 AM »

Yes....I have a Concept 2 rower and a Concept 2 Skierg to go with my bag, bench, war hammer and KB's.   That fricking skierg will you....

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2012, 05:56:50 AM »

That stuff is even better than the crap in my "commercial" gym. They don't even have a power cage (no gym in my town has)  :-\

Krankenstein

• Getbig V
  • quit·ter : a person can't finish a task
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2012, 06:08:52 AM »

x2

I forgot where I read it....but they say that 60%+ of all home equipment is used less than 3x/mo on average over 5yrs.

I bought a commercial Precor Stepper off craigslist a couple of years ago...cost me $200...I have used the SHIT out of it.  God help when it breaks down.  I will NOT go to the gym for morning cardio...

Your Average GymRat

« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2012, 06:20:00 AM »
/borat voice/ VERY NIICE!!
Once again the moron posts a meaningless, incoherent item. 

crownshep

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2012, 06:48:21 AM »
I bought a TITAN T 1 about 5 years ago and its the best thing i`ve ever done,never go back to a commercial gym again.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2012, 08:06:11 AM »
x2

I forgot where I read it....but they say that 60%+ of all home equipment is used less than 3x/mo on average over 5yrs.

I bought a commercial Precor Stepper off craigslist a couple of years ago...cost me $200...I have used the SHIT out of it.  God help when it breaks down.  I will NOT go to the gym for morning cardio...

I believe this. The few guys I know who have home gyms don't use them regularly.  90% of the time it is a nice idea that fizzles.  If they still train they do it at a member gym.  I'm beginning to think this is true for home cardio machines too. 

the trainer

« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2012, 08:25:34 AM »
If you want to save money and you like to think old school in your backyard get some tires, blocks and pipes and some rocks that you put in bags and you would surprised at the hardcore workout you could get from this.