Author Topic: Jim Brown Greatest Running Back Ever!  (Read 9204 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Re: Jim Brown Greatest Running Back Ever!
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2012, 02:51:39 PM »
I agree with that, to an extent.  i actually think the mental make-up of the older generations in EVERY sport was superior.  If you could combine, for example, Bill Russell's drive with Shaq's physical gifts it would be incredible.  People forget that Russell was only 6'9" or so, playing center.

As for football players, give me the old QB's who got smacked in the mouth over the "don't wrinkle my skirt/Tom Brady" types we have now.

Agree.  Lack of mental toughness, discipline, work ethic, etc. are rampant among today's athletes.  

Agree about old school football players.  You ever watch the NFL Crunch Course?  We watched that video about 100 times.   :)

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2012, 05:42:24 AM »
Agree.  Lack of mental toughness, discipline, work ethic, etc. are rampant among today's athletes.  

Agree about old school football players.  You ever watch the NFL Crunch Course?  We watched that video about 100 times.   :)

Oh yeah!  Had forgotten all about it.  Very good video.  Tough bastards.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2012, 11:02:34 AM »
Brown was dominate during his time period of 210-220lb middle line backers...... he would get smoked by todays players.....  bigger, stronger, faster...it's impossible to say "greatest ever" because of the differences in sports by generation.
i don't think so brown was used to playing in a tougher era before they pussified the rules to keep wimps like tom brady on the field john baker would have made brady go wee wee and run all the way home.....
F

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2012, 02:40:57 PM »
i don't think so brown was used to playing in a tougher era before they pussified the rules to keep wimps like tom brady on the field john baker would have made brady go wee wee and run all the way home.....

Naaah, the guys Brown was up against were much smaller and much slower.  They haven't changed the rules much on RB's compared to QB's, so the pussification of that position really doesn't matter.  RB's still have very short careers and most end up with some type of injury either to the knee, hips, ankles, etc...

Brown would be a solid RB, but no way he would put up the numbers now that he did then.  The game has changed drastically.

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2012, 07:39:00 PM »
Walter Payton