Author Topic: Dave Palumbo - why didnt he turn pro?  (Read 42232 times)

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Why didnt Palumbo turn pro?
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2012, 10:05:51 AM »
Thanks for backing me up re Weinburger, MANSA.

And also for your pretty accurate observation which I tend to agree with .... and I say that as someone who had been associated with Dave in the past and see him on numerous  occasions which were always professionable, informative and enjoyable.

Regardig Dan Hill's pro card ... Dan did not win his pro card in the US, but I believe he received it as a result of an overall  win in some IFBB sanctioned amateur contest over-seas.....possibly the IFBB JR World Championships in Germany.

Fortress

• Getbig V
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2012, 10:06:54 AM »
There wasn't a year when Dave deserved to win either pro qualifier.  He was enormous and pretty lean in offseason, but when he dieted down he would lose a lot of size and his structural flaws would become unbearable.  And the situation would repeat itself every year, except that he managed to get worse and worse with time, until he saw the writing on the wall, I guess and hung it up.  I highly doubt Steve Weinberger had much to do with him not becoming a pro

This

Tito24

• Getbig V
  • I'm a large man but.. one with a plan
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2012, 10:08:27 AM »
i saw a clip of palumbo and i was actually surprised on how huge he was

vascsurgeon

• Getbig II
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2012, 10:13:22 AM »
I BELIEVE HE WON OR AT LEAST WEIGHT CLASS IN 90'S JR NATIONALS.HE LOOKED GOOD THEN.

I dont recall him winning the Jr's, however, that doesn't earn him a pro card, right?
The reality is; he was very big, very hard and vascular and very unbalance with poor symmetry and always looked smaller on stage than in the gym due to his muscle shape, tie-ins and large bone structure(large waist, large head, large wrists and ankles).
Never deserved a pro card for sure and Mr. Francis has little to do with it  ;)

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2012, 10:38:10 AM »
I dont recall him winning the Jr's, however, that doesn't earn him a pro card, right?
The reality is; he was very big, very hard and vascular and very unbalance with poor symmetry and always looked smaller on stage than in the gym due to his muscle shape, tie-ins and large bone structure(large waist, large head, large wrists and ankles).
ur right winning jr national's is not pro qualifier but at the same time in  96 or so he looked the best he could at the time he was a freak in terms off mass/conditioning.i still think he won a jr level title for what its worth.

ether

• Getbig IV
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2012, 11:43:05 AM »
Simple, no HIV+ Pros

lvtolft

• Getbig III
« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2012, 12:21:01 PM »
Justice for Palumbo

No shit!!  That is terrible!

GigantorX

• Getbig V
  • GetBig's A-Team is the Light of Truth!
« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2012, 12:22:12 PM »
Fella's! We are talking about THE CHEMISTRY EXPERIMENT, The Father of Palumboism! And no one is posting up any competition shots?

No Homo, of course.

Dr Dutch

• Getbig V
  • The Incredible Dr Dutch
« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2012, 12:23:18 PM »
Palumbo chose between being a low level pro and making lotsa money..... 8)

vascsurgeon

• Getbig II
« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2012, 12:35:00 PM »
Palumbo chose between being a low level pro and making lotsa money..... 8)
He didn't choose, the choice was made for him ::)

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2012, 12:36:28 PM »

Palumbo won the heavyweight class at the Junior Nationals in 1995. The overall went to Willie Stalling, the same guy who later beat Jay Cutler for the overall Nationals title in 1996.

Fortress

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2012, 12:40:54 PM »
In gym-type clothing he was BEYOND a freak of size and leanness, a surefire bet to go pro, but when he got onstage, the hideousness of his shape, proportions, structure, etc. destroyed the dream.

At the time, from what I understand, the IFBB was not prepared to reward such a physique. His was a bit too much. Marketability? Not on your life.

A dozen or more years later and in the IFBB we're approaching Dave's level of "wrong". Branch is not quite there (yet?), but his physique is dangerously close to being pure and unbridled hideousness.  

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: June 14, 2012, 01:54:31 PM »
In gym-type clothing he was BEYOND a freak of size and leanness, a surefire bet to go pro, but when he got onstage, the hideousness of his shape, proportions, structure, etc. destroyed the dream.

At the time, from what I understand, the IFBB was not prepared to reward such a physique. His was a bit too much. Marketability? Not on your life.

A dozen or more years later and in the IFBB we're approaching Dave's level of "wrong". Branch is not quite there (yet?), but his physique is dangerously close to being pure and unbridled hideousness.  

But apparently still marketable?  Not much difference between a freaky Branch and a freaky Palumbo.

gracie bjj

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #38 on: June 14, 2012, 01:59:47 PM »
no doubt dave was huge, ive seen him tons of times around bodybuilding shows. if he woulda been born with a better structure he prolly woulda turned pro, he did work hard and gave it his all but came up short cause of his blockiness
R

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #39 on: June 14, 2012, 02:04:32 PM »
But apparently still marketable?  Not much difference between a freaky Branch and a freaky Palumbo.
Branch looked quite a bit different when he turned pro, if I remember correctly.

vascsurgeon

• Getbig II
« Reply #40 on: June 14, 2012, 02:07:38 PM »
Branch looked quite a bit different when he turned pro, if I remember correctly.
Waaaaaaaaaaaay different

Beefjake

• Getbig IV
  • Oh fuck it.
« Reply #41 on: June 14, 2012, 02:19:57 PM »
...And since the Olympic contenders are supposed to be amateur athletes

I think.

Way back in the '40s one might lose his/her medal if they found out you we're receiving money from competing. And I think
that didn't even include price money. Only if you had an unfair advantage of not needing to work for your living :)

We've been past that a long time ago. Andre Agassi has olympic medal. NHL guys. All the track guys and swimmers.
In soccer you still might have some limitations?

mdn250

• Getbig II
« Reply #42 on: June 14, 2012, 03:09:07 PM »
He was always a drug guru thats his fame.

As far as pro card...fuck..if he competed in this day and age...he would win one. Don't forget he went up against better competition than the guys now...he was that freak the crowd liked but you knew would not win.

BigSexy50

• Getbig III
« Reply #43 on: June 14, 2012, 04:17:24 PM »
This wins nothing.

Benito Mutumbo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #44 on: June 14, 2012, 04:20:20 PM »
That pretty much explains why he never went pro.

jude2

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #45 on: June 14, 2012, 07:00:10 PM »
HE competed in the wrong decade.

D_1000

• Getbig IV
« Reply #46 on: June 14, 2012, 07:56:02 PM »

Nirvana

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: June 14, 2012, 08:19:41 PM »
he represented future progress.

one of the great thinkers forging ahead in the world of bobybuilding.  one day he will receive justice and recognition for his inovative physique

Schnauzer

• Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: June 14, 2012, 08:23:29 PM »
Branch looked quite a bit different when he turned pro

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #49 on: June 15, 2012, 03:08:52 AM »
Dave had a damn good physique at various points of his competitive career.