Author Topic: X-reps - anyone else use them?  (Read 5860 times)

dantelis

• Getbig IV
  • Mesmerizing, isn't it.
X-reps - anyone else use them?
« on: November 04, 2005, 03:23:17 PM »
Does anyone else use the x-reps technique espoused by Lawson and Holman at Ironman Magazine?  I've been using it and have been pretty pleased with the burn it gives me. 

On Wednesday, I did back with x-reps at the end of pulldowns and rows.  I had a residual burn in my rear delts the next day, the worst burn I've ever experienced in those muscles.  I may not have gotten the burn in the main muscle group I was working, but the burn in my secondary muscles lead me to believe this has got to help my future back poundage, by getting me past those sticking points.

Here's the x-rep webpage - http://www.X-Rep.com

619Rules

Re: X-reps - anyone else use them?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2005, 08:09:17 PM »
619 does X-reps in the form of gloryhole contests w/ men.  Wait...those aren't X-reps. 

Crunchbar has a new gay handle...and here it is...help us ;D

619Rules

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2005, 09:48:19 PM »
That's not a 'no.'

BTW-when are you going to start posting under your own account again?

619Rules

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2005, 10:29:34 PM »
BTW- when are you going to stop doing 'x-reps' up at the the Men's Restrooms of San Diego?

When are you going to stop drinking the penis milkshakes?

619Rules

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2005, 10:49:14 PM »
Why do you keep asking people to drink your "penis milkshake"?  Seriously, take that gross shit back to the truck stop bathroom.

I hear that is your favorite drink though!

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2005, 06:14:53 AM »
Why don't you give us some details instead of just a book promo so we can try them?

I know they're static holds at various places along ROMs, so i can do them but give us details on their suggestions on where and for how long..

Cavalier22

• Getbig IV
  • Citizens! The Fatherland is in Danger
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2005, 06:26:51 AM »
yeah, waht the hell are xreps. that page doesnt even tell you.  just wants you to buy their shit
Valhalla awaits.

Balls2theWalls

• Getbig I
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2005, 04:39:42 PM »
You do pulsing holds at close to the maximum elongation of the musle. You move the weight up and down(4"-6")in this narrow range until exhaustion. You this on the last rep of a set.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2005, 05:51:43 AM »
That's a start but not too clear. Repeat again, in english? Thanks!

loler

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2005, 06:07:09 AM »
after the last rep of your set, you do one more long ass "rep" where you move the weight a couple of inches

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2005, 08:30:30 AM »
So no static holds at different positions along the ROM-just one very slow partial at the end..

JPM

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2005, 08:39:26 AM »
I believe these are called Burns, Breaks, Finisher's, Partials, etc.. Usually half to quarter reps from a full entended position, preformed very fast; like half/quarter curls after all regular reps are preformed. Larry Scott and others around his period (and long before) use to do a lot of these. Vince Gironda (spelled wrong?)suggested them for arm & delt work mostly. X-reps is probably a catch phase and with something like these there is always a book or manuel to be sold. After awhile you find that there's really nothing much new in BB'ing.  Do they work?...I don't know but anything is worth a try in BB'ing. Good Luck.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2005, 08:50:27 AM »
I've found some info on them; they're a sllight modification of partials as espoused by Gironda: most of his ideas make more sense than other sources, even today. Gironda and Scott used them on most exercises, including Scott's arm program which IMO is still superior to most others.

Not a new idea, but likely new to most. The X-rep variation concerns where in the ROM the burns are done.

From my own experience, it's true that there is a sweet spot in any ROM which justifies partial ROMs, sometimes it's even better than using full ROMs. Can be used for the full set or after full ROM failure. I'm quite sure that this technique is very effective if you're willing to go through the pain.

The X-rep idea is to do partials at the end of set within the sweet spot they define as after mid-point, around 5/8s-7/8s into the ROM. From experience i agree with their concept and the effectiveness, try different ranges and compare results. Apparently Platz also used this in squat sets. An additional advantage of this is further extension of time under tension TOT. Here's an excerpt:

At the end of a set to failure, when the high-threshold motor units start to kick in, your nervous system fails. That’s when most people stop a set—when they can’t get another full-range rep. But what if instead of stopping, you were to lower the weight to the max-force-generation point and continue to fire out partials? You would leapfrog nervous system failure and continue to recruit fast-twitch fibers, essentially making each set three to five times more efficient at stimulating growth.

Just the way Ronnie Coleman instinctively tries to overload that point on his rows. With X Reps, however, instead of jerking or heaving every rep, wait till the end of the set and attack that key mass-building sweet spot safely and efficiently. Getting more fast-twitch-fiber involvement and energy conservation is only part of X Reps’ extraordinary power, however. There’s occlusion too. Because X Reps are partial movements and create continuous tension, you get some occlusion at the end of every set you use them on, even if it’s a full-range multijoint exercise. Partials create continuous tension. And if you use X-Rep partials at the end of a set of a continuous-tension isolation movement, like leg extensions, you occlude the muscle even longer than if you stop at failure.

At the end of a set right at the max-force-generation point on the exercise stroke. It’s a fairly straightforward concept. Try them near the bottom of incline presses or chins, for example. Or on leg curls. You’ll learn firsthand why it doesn’t take a lot of sets—but it does take some guts (go for the burn).