Author Topic: lunges for quad development  (Read 4964 times)

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
lunges for quad development
« on: June 17, 2012, 07:56:46 AM »
don't take them so deep would be my thoughts, is this correct?

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
Re: lunges for quad development
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2012, 12:08:32 PM »
I hate them but they are a great arse and overall ex. the hip area is also hit. A lot of people say like squats donīt let your knee rise over your toes...i think there was a thread on this here? Another point on this is ..is how far you "lunge" if you go further forward you will hit your upper quad area more..and if you do lunges onto a slight platform it hits your hams and arse more ;)

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2012, 12:50:50 PM »
i do walking lunges every leg workout i use premade bar on sholders and start walking

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2012, 12:27:06 PM »
i do them stationary with the rear foot set up on a bench

also, my knee does go over of my toes while i do them, but i think it's ok since i'm trying to stress the quads, and not the glutes/hams

is it really so stressful on the knees to let them drift over the toes?

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2012, 02:57:33 AM »
I used to think they were for women only...........first time I did them,I couldn`t walk right for 5 days.

Great exercise that hits the whole upper leg as well as a glute killer!

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2012, 03:50:11 AM »
I used to think they were for women only...........first time I did them,I couldn`t walk right for 5 days.

Great exercise that hits the whole upper leg as well as a glute killer!
100% Wes. They are a very direct ex.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2012, 06:40:25 AM »
COLEMAN,SHAWN RAY ALL WALKED WEIGHTED ,,VERY GOOD OVERALL EXERCISE I NEVER MISS DOING THEM.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2012, 06:51:06 AM »
COLEMAN,SHAWN RAY ALL WALKED WEIGHTED ,,VERY GOOD OVERALL EXERCISE I NEVER MISS DOING THEM.

as much as i hate them i have to agree that they are very,very effective and bring out the sweep in the Quads

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2012, 08:59:37 AM »
as much as i hate them i have to agree that they are very,very effective and bring out the sweep in the Quads
very good point about swweps thats what makes my quads standout sweep yes mostly genetic but you still have to work,,i squat on smith or hack squat close foot and that pushes the sweep as well.

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2012, 05:05:16 AM »
just curious...

what kind of weight can you fellas handle on dumbbell lunges?

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2012, 08:38:12 AM »
i dont believe in lunges because they take off the tension from the muscle during execution.

but i know people who always workout like that and theyre quite the monsters.

i think for legs its very important to learn how to flex/work with quads while exercising, not weight used.take off tension from knees, no cheating, but fully flexing the quad muscles at any time.

hard to describe, but youll know what i mean if you can flex outer quad muscle without flexing the inner part and vice versa.
see your points there..i like doing them and i have very good legs ,,how much attributed to there sucess from them i don't know but i feel they do bring out some extra seperation in leg area front and back...

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2012, 09:53:28 AM »
Step-up also offer a good quad workout, as they also bring strongly into play the hams (stretching the ham's) as well as the glutes. One of my favorite whole leg exercises.

Either stationary or walking lunges are exceptional movements, though a question of balance may arise,  as well as foot placement, for the walking version as fatigue sets in. The walking version may need your  undivided attention.

DJi81 is doing the Bulgarian squat (on foot resting on a bench, box, etc) which is a prime exercise. Well worth the effort to spend some quality time on these.

Just a personal view, but I don't hold much value to the whole knee over toe thing. Lot of Pro' & Con's from different trainers, of course..there always is for just about every exercise.  Which can be good in a way. Find the exercise that fits your body type (muscle inserts, bone leverage, body leverage, etc). Find that a persons height (frame/bone length, as a given) can influence to how any exercise is preformed.  A 5'6 man and a 6'2 man may need a different approach to some exercises, as Dl's & squats, as far as lifting style/technique goes.   Good Luck.
F

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2012, 10:03:36 AM »
Step-up also offer a good quad workout, as they also bring strongly into play the hams (stretching the ham's) as well as the glutes. One of my favorite whole leg exercises.

Either stationary or walking lunges are exceptional movements, though a question of balance may arise,  as well as foot placement, for the walking version as fatigue sets in. The walking version may need your  undivided attention.

DJi81 is doing the Bulgarian squat (on foot resting on a bench, box, etc) which is a prime exercise. Well worth the effort to spend some quality time on these.

Just a personal view, but I don't hold much value to the whole knee over toe thing. Lot of Pro' & Con's from different trainers, of course..there always is for just about every exercise.  Which can be good in a way. Find the exercise that fits your body type (muscle inserts, bone leverage, body leverage, etc). Find that a persons height (frame/bone length, as a given) can influence to how any exercise is preformed.  A 5'6 man and a 6'2 man may need a different approach to some exercises, as Dl's & squats, as far as lifting style/technique goes.   Good Luck.
WELL SAID,,

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2012, 01:05:31 PM »

I agree jpm,"knees beyond toes" is just more hocus pocus nonsense touted by todays "trainers".

I always have clients lunge as far as possible ............almost into a split if possible,well like someone would do if they were performing a split snatch or a split clean !!

Another important point is to do each leg seperately to increase the time under tension..........never alternate legs such as L-R,L-R.......always do X # of reps with the left leg,then X # of reps with the right leg,then take a break.........this constitutes one set.

Same thing on Step-Ups,left leg,right leg,rest=one set.

deadz

• Getbig V
  • Liberals..Dumbest People on the Planet! MAGA
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2012, 03:22:10 PM »
I never do them.
T

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2012, 11:54:32 AM »
I never do them.
they are not a "must" ex like say Squats or Leg press but they are an ex that hit a lot of muscles like a basic move...if ya know what i mean.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2012, 12:33:23 PM »
did them on the smith different spin due to legs in front then legs go back then back to front position ,,regular bar you can foward smith opposite..

Psychopath

• Getbig IV
  • TEAM DIME PIECE TRANNY
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2012, 02:01:46 PM »
They'll work if you're on steroids.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2012, 06:15:46 PM »
did them on the smith different spin due to legs in front then legs go back then back to front position ,,regular bar you can foward smith opposite..
Agree,very good and a bit different feel to them.

RRKore

• Getbig IV
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2012, 11:50:28 AM »
don't take them so deep would be my thoughts, is this correct?

More important than depth considerations, when targeting quads with lunges, is to not step out so far.  When targeting glutes, conversely, it's good step out as far as possible.