Author Topic: What old school gimmicks would/wouldn't work today?  (Read 14682 times)

Andy Griffin

• Getbig V
  • I know my own name, bitch.
Re: What old school gimmicks would/wouldn't work today?
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2012, 03:20:10 AM »
The best move Brutus ever performed was when he removed his nose from Hogan's anus long enough to do a faceplant on the beach while para-sailing in Florida.

hahahahahahahahahahaha

~

vascsurgeon

• Getbig II
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2012, 10:17:05 AM »
George " The Animal ' Steele to this day is still working the angle as noted by his ceremonial first pitch recently  ;)
Likely wouldn't go over these days although I wish it could.

Andy Griffin

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2012, 01:08:31 PM »
George " The Animal ' Steele to this day is still working the angle as noted by his ceremonial first pitch recently  ;)
Likely wouldn't go over these days although I wish it could.

Same with Abdullah The Butcher...fans would say, "Oh, come on, somebody that nuts would never be allowed on an airplane..."
~

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2012, 03:55:15 PM »
Same with Abdullah The Butcher...fans would say, "Oh, come on, somebody that nuts would never be allowed on an airplane..."

Bobby Heenan talked about "managing" the Missing Link. Part of Link's gimmick was that he couldn't talk, so in the beginning, he'd ask Bobby to arrive at the airport early to purchase his ticket for him (if Link's was an earlier flight).

Bobby couldn't believe the absurdity of the request.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2012, 07:57:26 PM »
papa shango,,,kevin sullivans satan angle and the stable he with purple haze.cool times in fla against dusty rhodes,jake the snake dressed as santa claus interfering cage match...

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2012, 07:23:40 AM »
The best move Brutus ever performed was when he removed his nose from Hogan's anus long enough to do a faceplant on the beach while para-sailing in Florida.

I heard that he was standing up (not in the parasail himself) when he turned around and another person that was parasailing slammed into his face with their knees drawn up.

Which yeah.... given the choice of slamming full speed into another man's face with my knees or my crotch, I am going to pull my knees up too.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2012, 11:52:40 AM »
Quote from: LurkerNoMore link=topic=429418.msg6219911#msg6219911 is the account date=1343139820
I heard that he was standing up (not in the parasail himself) when he turned around and another person that was parasailing slammed into his face with their knees drawn up.

Which yeah.... given the choice of slamming full speed into another man's face with my knees or my crotch, I am going to pull my knees up too.

That is the account I remember reading when it happened.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2012, 01:12:57 PM »

That makes it even better..... I would buy the face smasher a beer or two in celebration !

And Monte, I remember that story about Heenan and he acted like it was on Link for being absurd, yet it was in the heyday of kafabe.  Let Heenan try that with Masked Superstar back in the day and see what happened.  He used to drive with his mask on from town to town.....

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2012, 05:10:11 PM »

That makes it even better..... I would buy the face smasher a beer or two in celebration !

And Monte, I remember that story about Heenan and he acted like it was on Link for being absurd, yet it was in the heyday of kafabe.  Let Heenan try that with Masked Superstar back in the day and see what happened.  He used to drive with his mask on from town to town.....

I believe that Dick Beyer still wears his Destroyer mask. He doesn't wear it to the grocery store like he did back in the day, but it wasn't that long ago that he hosted a radio show while wearing the mask.
Of course he still wears it to fan conventions, etc.

I wonder if Bill Eadie ever wore his mask into the bank or airport! ;D

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2012, 05:30:17 AM »

I believe that Dick Beyer still wears his Destroyer mask. He doesn't wear it to the grocery store like he did back in the day, but it wasn't that long ago that he hosted a radio show while wearing the mask.
Of course he still wears it to fan conventions, etc.

I wonder if Bill Eadie ever wore his mask into the bank or airport! ;D

haha, with it being the kayfabe era and how over he was throughout the mid-atlantic area, he probably could have.....although they might have thought he was up to no good....not because of the mask, but because he was such a great heel !!  ;D

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2012, 06:06:05 AM »
haha, with it being the kayfabe era and how over he was throughout the mid-atlantic area, he probably could have.....although they might have thought he was up to no good....not because of the mask, but because he was such a great heel !!  ;D

He still makes appearances at wrestling shows & conventions. It's almost a shame it's always as Demo Ax, though - not because it was a pathetic gimmick or run, but because it overshadows so much his work as the M-S.
I can understand that most mainstream audiences recognize him as Ax, but there's a TON of people who recognize & remember him as the Superstar.

Andy Griffin

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2012, 07:17:05 AM »

He still makes appearances at wrestling shows & conventions. It's almost a shame it's always as Demo Ax, though - not because it was a pathetic gimmick or run, but because it overshadows so much his work as the M-S.
I can understand that most mainstream audiences recognize him as Ax, but there's a TON of people who recognize & remember him as the Superstar.

I liked him as The Masked Superstar, both as heel and as face.  The way he didn't always rant and rave; when he did raise his voice it got a pop from the crowd.  I think that because of the "muscle" era that came in the mid-80's, people forget how big a man Superstar was...usually billed at about 275, which was just under "giant" at the time (he was usually one of the 2 or 3 biggest guys when Andre wasn't in town).
~

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2012, 08:00:37 AM »
I liked him as The Masked Superstar, both as heel and as face.  The way he didn't always rant and rave; when he did raise his voice it got a pop from the crowd.  I think that because of the "muscle" era that came in the mid-80's, people forget how big a man Superstar was...usually billed at about 275, which was just under "giant" at the time (he was usually one of the 2 or 3 biggest guys when Andre wasn't in town).

Absolutely.  I remember when he tagged with Super Destroyer.  They were both huge.  MS could flat out move, regardless of size.  Talk about a guy who should have worn the strap.

And I agree, monty, it's a shame he goes to the conventions as Ax instead of Masked Superstar.  I hated the Demolition gimmick as a rip-off of the Warriors, but he and Darsow could both out wrestle either of the Warriors....haha

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: July 29, 2012, 08:11:36 AM »
Eadie was definitely a big dude; hard to believe he was the "smallest" of the Machines in WWF.

He auctioned off some pieces of Masked Superstar ring gear for charity, and I've seen pictures of him at the random legends fest as the M-S, but I think lately he's worked/appeared as Ax with Darsow.

OLE BIG

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #39 on: July 30, 2012, 02:56:24 PM »
I always wanted a mask.  I would wear it all the time.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: July 30, 2012, 04:16:32 PM »
I always wanted a mask.  I would wear it all the time.

I'm calling your bluff: http://www.highspots.com/c/Pro-Masks-In-Stock.html

;D

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: July 31, 2012, 08:59:39 AM »
I always wanted a mask.  I would wear it all the time.

I ordered one of Destroyers masks one time.....it never showed up....  :-\

OLE BIG

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #42 on: July 31, 2012, 10:34:20 AM »

I'm calling your bluff: http://www.highspots.com/c/Pro-Masks-In-Stock.html

;D

Y'all take up a collection!  I always liked Superstar's, but wanted to wear The Spoiler's for obvious reasons.

Speaking of dumb wrestling fans.  Has Stoppa told you about our friend that thought Gene Anderson's tick was cool?  He would go up to girls in a bar and do the same.  For some reason, the girls never thought it was that cool.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: July 31, 2012, 04:11:13 PM »
Y'all take up a collection!  I always liked Superstar's, but wanted to wear The Spoiler's for obvious reasons.

Speaking of dumb wrestling fans.  Has Stoppa told you about our friend that thought Gene Anderson's tick was cool?  He would go up to girls in a bar and do the same.  For some reason, the girls never thought it was that cool.

I once bought a wheelchair at a garage sale because I wanted to be like the Dynamite Kid.

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
« Reply #44 on: August 23, 2012, 09:47:05 AM »
I remember when the Masked Superstar was feuding with Wrestling II.  Once he came out during a match and jumped II from behind, slapped the cobra hold on him and until he was foaming out of the mouth and unconscious.  I wish I could find a youtube link to that episode.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: August 23, 2012, 10:07:06 AM »
I remember when the Masked Superstar was feuding with Wrestling II.  Once he came out during a match and jumped II from behind, slapped the cobra hold on him and until he was foaming out of the mouth and unconscious.  I wish I could find a youtube link to that episode.

When Jake Roberts first came to the Fed around 1986, some of his opponents would foam from the mouth upon Damian slithering over them. I presume the act was courtesy of an Alka-Seltzer tablet.

Andy Griffin

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: August 23, 2012, 10:34:05 AM »

When Jake Roberts first came to the Fed around 1986, some of his opponents would foam from the mouth upon Damian slithering over them. I presume the act was courtesy of an Alka-Seltzer tablet.

I remember seeing that when Jake beat George Wells in WM 2.
~

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: August 23, 2012, 11:01:32 AM »
I remember seeing that when Jake beat George Wells in WM 2.

Oh, God; you just reminded me of something.
Was that one of the matches that Susan Saint James "guest-called?"

Andy Griffin

• Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: August 23, 2012, 02:16:02 PM »

Oh, God; you just reminded me of something.
Was that one of the matches that Susan Saint James "guest-called?"

Yes.  God she was annoying.  Now you've caused me to have "Kate & Allie" flashbacks.   >:(
~

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: August 23, 2012, 04:02:55 PM »
Yes.  God she was annoying.  Now you've caused me to have "Kate & Allie" flashbacks.   >:(

Just replace that with the thought of Elvira's titties - another annoying, but slightly more tolerable Mania II mammary memory.