Author Topic: Power  (Read 4721 times)

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Power
« on: June 24, 2012, 06:27:23 PM »
Power is one of the most important commodities in sport. It doesn't matter if you are strong if you can't unleash that strength quickly. Power is often describes as force times velocity.

If you're a boxer it doesn't matter if you bench 400 lbs and other impressive lifts if you can't release that strength quickly. There are some really soft hitting big number lifters. There are really hard hitting guys that can't bench 250 lbs. If you squat 500 lbs but can't explode that strength quickly you won't be able to dunk or sprint for that matter. Look at a pro golfer when he hits that big drive. Some who are ill informed will say that's technique.  Technique will determine direction and placement but make no mistake that a long drive is an example of power.

Power is more important in sports than pure strength. Strength does build power to an extent but never confuse power with strength. The term functional strength has been use for awhile yet it's meaning is misunderstood. Most just use the simplistic getting stronger is functional mantra. Functional strength term when used in it's proper context should be talking about increasing power toward an athletic goal.

How do you develop this speed power? First a partial derivative of strength training is an increase in power. As an athlete you should incorporate specific power exercises.  Many who have never done Olympic lifts such as power cleans are surprised to find their sprinting speed and jumping ability go up dramatically. Truth be told Olympic lifting should have been labeled power lifting and power lifting; strength lifting. Sprints and jumps are power exercises. Throwing objects like a shot put or medicine balls increase power. Also hitting a heavy bag is another. Explosive pushups are also good. One of the things that first leave aging athletes is power not strength.

Maybe next time I will cover conditioning. A forgotten commodity in bodybuilding.  All the strength and power is useless if an athlete gases because there is nothing in the tank.

Maybe another future post is these self proclaimed coaches and trainers to the stars. I'm tired of gym owners taking credit for their athletes achievements. I worked with this guy that bought his son a gym. The gym happened to be near a really rich town that many members of a NFL team had homes.  Guess where the only weight lifting gym was near their town? He soon got an incredible reputation as the NFL trainer guru. Now he has division I players from all over the US flying in to him to get themselves ready for the combine. Anyone who makes it in the NFL he takes credit for.  Does he really know his stuff? I would say yes but not as much as his big ego thinks.

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
Re: Power
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2012, 06:47:40 PM »
 ???
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2012, 08:55:52 AM »
???

Cliff notes. There is a difference between power and strength even though they share some attributes. There is a difference between training for power and strength. Power is more important in sport than strength. Functional training is training for power.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2012, 04:59:32 PM »
Cliff notes. There is a difference between power and strength even though they share some attributes. There is a difference between training for power and strength. Power is more important in sport than strength. Functional training is training for power.

taking kids to school since 1962

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2012, 05:35:25 PM »
Lol, I understand that,  I was just wondering what your point in posting it was. Are you trying to start a debate? Looking for alternate opinions? Is this going to be an ongoing series? If so maybe I should sticky it.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2012, 06:04:47 AM »
Lol, I understand that,  I was just wondering what your point in posting it was. Are you trying to start a debate? Looking for alternate opinions? Is this going to be an ongoing series? If so maybe I should sticky it.

Just putting out my thoughts from a long time trainer.  I've been lifting for around 40 years.

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2012, 06:26:33 AM »
Just putting out my thoughts from a long time trainer.  I've been lifting for around 40 years.
Will you be exposing yourself alot here? Should I give you a sticky?
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2012, 01:21:07 PM »
Will you be exposing yourself alot here? Should I give you a sticky?

What's sticky?  Just an old guy drinking a beer poolside after training delts and tris? Didn't know my post was a violation of some type?

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2012, 05:02:21 PM »
What's sticky?  Just an old guy drinking a beer poolside after training delts and tris? Didn't know my post was a violation of some type?
lol a sticky is where I put your thread up top permanently so it's always there for everyone to find. The only violation commited would be if it was a light beer. ;D
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2012, 06:13:06 PM »
No light beer for me. Drinking Guiness. Just 25 more calories than most light beers at 125. It's up to you if it's a sticky. Back in my day we walked to the gym in the snow up hill both ways. The only sticky was what our girlfriends complained about in the morning. No fancy protein powder. If we wanted protein we put a steak on the charcoal grill. Tasted so much better that the latest wang bang protein powder. We never smelled ammonia capsules. You wanted to get psyched up for a lift you would wave Fred's sock around your face before that deadlift. If that didn't make you psycho strong nothing would. Now with these new fangled computers I'm asked if my drunken rambling should be sticky.

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2012, 06:31:29 PM »
No light beer for me. Drinking Guiness. Just 25 more calories than most light beers at 125. It's up to you if it's a sticky. Back in my day we walked to the gym in the snow up hill both ways. The only sticky was what our girlfriends complained about in the morning. No fancy protein powder. If we wanted protein we put a steak on the charcoal grill. Tasted so much better that the latest wang bang protein powder. We never smelled ammonia capsules. You wanted to get psyched up for a lift you would wave Fred's sock around your face before that deadlift. If that didn't make you psycho strong nothing would. Now with these new fangled computers I'm asked if my drunken rambling should be sticky.
Now you sound like a mans man!! What do you think of the young men in America with their skintight lowrider jeans and their 3 sizes too small v neck t shirts all while looking like anorexic bitches?
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2012, 06:39:23 PM »
Now you sound like a mans man!! What do you think of the young men in America with their skintight lowrider jeans and their 3 sizes too small v neck t shirts all while looking like anorexic bitches?
as a Brit i would say they sound like a bunch of arse fuckers. Not the sort i would drink a beer with...so why are you getting pissy about his post??  >:(

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2012, 06:42:26 PM »
as a Brit i would say they sound like a bunch of arse fuckers. Not the sort i would drink a beer with...so why are you getting pissy about his post??  >:(
Settle down, yellowtooth, if you read my post you would understand I agree with him. I am on a mission to rid the world of those ubertwats that dress and act gay but claim not to be. >:(
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2012, 06:47:43 PM »
Settle down, yellowtooth, if you read my post you would understand I agree with him. I am on a mission to rid the world of those ubertwats that dress and act gay but claim not to be. >:(
OK red arse  ;D

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2012, 05:13:58 AM »
I have to stop drinking in the hot sun posting on getbig.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2012, 06:37:13 PM »
I have to stop drinking in the hot sun posting on getbig.

this is the most entertaining thread on the training board since pumpster ran off with bluto...

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2012, 07:44:40 AM »
Going to be 98 degrees here in NJ today with high humidity. Going for a 2 mile run and if I'm alive after I'm going to jump into the pool.

Have any of you guys gone into heat exhaustion working out in high heat? I remember being about 38 going for a 7 mile run on a day like today. I remember getting chills and feeling cold on the final miles. My wife said I was talking not making any sense. Then again when I normally talk I don't make any sense  so it was hard for her to tell I was into heat exhaustion.

edit: Just came back. I'm dripping sweat all over the wife's kitchen. She is going to be pissed.