Author Topic: Bob Chick - Tribute.  (Read 52745 times)

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
Re: Bob Chick - Tribute.
« Reply #125 on: June 28, 2012, 02:03:50 AM »
Well, Wes, as it turned out that was my last contest. I tore by biceps doing a 509 pound deadlift in the winter and the gap in my arm ended my career.

So I never had another chance. There were and are a lot of great bodybuilders in Australia.

I used some negativity to train hard in 1970. Ken Rivard asked me if I was enterring. Heck, no I am going to win it, I replied. He laughed in my face.

That was all the encouragement I needed. Ken came second. There was no Mr Canada held in 1971 so I held the title for two years. Ken never won

the title but John Mikl and Walter Cuts Milner did win the title. John has a band and calls himself Thor. Walter was a fabulous fellow from Moosehorn,

Manitoba. Very popular and a great Mr Canada. Unfortunately, Walter died after falling off a scaffold while working as a window cleaner.

Now that`s what I meant Vince...I thrive off the negativity from my detractors.

I remember Milner and Miikl,as well as Nailon,Peter McCarthy,Graham,Rivard and all the Canadians also.

Remember,I`m older than dirt, and have probably read every old mag at least 5 times minimum from cover to cover.  :)

avxo

• Getbig V
  • Iron Pumping University Math Professor
Re: Bob Chick - the legend
« Reply #126 on: June 28, 2012, 02:13:01 AM »
If a guy with a masters degree in the philosophy of science is an idiot what does that make just about everyone else?

To be fair, a degree - even a graduate degree - isn't evidence of intelligence. Is your degree an M.Phil. in Science or an M.Sc. in Philosophy of Science? The latter sounds like a rather unique degree; I haven't heard of any institution granting a degree in the "Philosophy of Science" and would like to know what the curriculum included.

kmhphoto

• Expert
  • Getbig IV
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #127 on: June 28, 2012, 02:48:10 AM »
Is your degree an M.Phil. in Science or an M.Sc. in Philosophy of Science? The latter sounds like a rather unique degree; I haven't heard of any institution granting a degree in the "Philosophy of Science" and would like to know what the curriculum included.

http://www2.lse.ac.uk/newsAndMedia/videoAndAudio/channels/philosophy/player.aspx?id=1103

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #128 on: June 28, 2012, 04:36:21 AM »
Karl Popper was the philosopher who rekindled my interest in philosophy. Previously I was keen about ethics. Little did I know how the unscrupulous would rule the internet. Nobody foresaw the internet when I was at university in the sixties. I did my philosophy of science at Sydney University. It is an interesting subject. Yes, I regret not continuing for a PhD but I had answered questions that had puzzled me and I was more interested in hypertrophy. That must sound strange but there you are. It might have been infinitely more rewarding to lecture at a university instead of posting on Getbig!!

I am a materialist and do not subscribe to the notion of something that is non-material. That means that ideas, values and feelings are material things. Sounds strange but it is the truth. Of course, according to Popper, we can be mistaken.

Here is a brief summary of Karl Popper from the net:

Karl Popper

“Our knowledge can only be finite, while our ignorance must necessarily be infinite.”

Summary

Sir Karl Raimund Popper (1902 - 1994) was an Austrian-born British philosopher and a professor at the London School of Economics. He is counted among the most influential philosophers of science of the 20th century, and also wrote extensively on social and political philosophy, the problem of Determinism and Free Will.

He is perhaps best known for Science as Falsification by advancing empirical falsifiability as the criterion for distinguishing scientific theory from non-science; and for his vigorous defense of liberal democracy and the principles of social criticism which he took to make the flourishing of the "open society" possible.

He made essential contributions to the concept of a Biocentric Culture (see Vital Unconscious and Biocentric Principle).

Ideas
•Science as Falsification - Popper envisioned science as evolving by the successive rejection of falsified theories. From Conjectures and Refutations: ◦It is easy to obtain confirmations, or verifications, for nearly every theory - if we look for confirmations.
◦Confirmations should count only if they are the result of risky predictions; ie we expected an event which was incompatible with the theory - an event which would have refuted the theory.
◦Every “good” scientific theory is a prohibition - it forbids certain things to happen. The more a theory forbids, the better it is.
◦A theory which is not refutable by any conceivable event is non-scientific.
◦Every genuine test of a theory is an attempt to falsify it, or to refute it.
◦Confirming evidence should not count except when it is the result of a genuine test of the theory - this means that it can be presented as a serious (but unsuccessful) attempt to falsify the theory.

•One can sum up all this by saying that the criterion of the scientific status of a theory is its falsifiability/ refutability/ testability.
•His partnership with John Eccles (they were both Dualists and later Trialists) produced many conversations about the interaction between a non-material mind and the material brain.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #129 on: June 28, 2012, 04:40:23 AM »
To be fair, a degree - even a graduate degree - isn't evidence of intelligence.

Now this has to be a ridiculous statement. Perhaps you can define your concept of intelligence. A doubt a person with below average intelligence can earn a post graduate degree. Certainly not in philosophy.

Secret Stack

• Getbig IV
« Reply #130 on: June 28, 2012, 04:40:44 AM »
I started this thread to see if a thread about Bob Chick would stay up and not be removed. So far this is still here so I figured out a way to do so.

You obviously don't realize how empty your life is with a quote like this at the age of 70.
"figured out a way" to keep a thread up on getbig.com...about bob chick.

Congratulations. You will die a peaceful man.

Jaime

• Getbig V
  • North Pole, fucking elves left, right and centre.
« Reply #131 on: June 28, 2012, 05:22:13 AM »
Now this has to be a ridiculous statement. Perhaps you can define your concept of intelligence. A doubt a person with below average intelligence can earn a post graduate degree. Certainly not in philosophy.

Incorrect, i actually know a guy who teaches philosophy and possesses a degree. His general intelligence is low, very low.
Trans Milkshake.

Tito24

• Getbig V
  • I'm a large man but.. one with a plan
« Reply #132 on: June 28, 2012, 06:35:12 AM »
i love to meet bob one day and show him my kids

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #133 on: June 28, 2012, 06:37:19 AM »
i love to meet bob one day and show him my kids
I'm sure they would like meet their Dad, as well.  ;D

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #134 on: June 28, 2012, 07:15:07 AM »

I once found a Masters degree for Philosophy in a Crackerjack box.  I wrote the company asking them to next time put a better toy in it next time
A

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #135 on: June 28, 2012, 07:33:19 AM »
I'm sure they would like meet their Dad, as well.  ;D
;D
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Kahn.N.Singh

• Getbig IV
  • Die Weltgeschichte ist das Weltgericht
« Reply #136 on: June 28, 2012, 09:03:24 AM »

I once found a Masters degree for Philosophy in a Crackerjack box.  I wrote the company asking them to next time put a better toy in it next time

Your writing, as evidenced by the above post, suggests, indeed, that the only way you would come into possession of a master's degree in philosophy is to find one accidentally. I'm not sure about Vince B's time as a graduate student, but you might be surprised to learn how competitive it is to get into top philosophy of science programs like, inter alia, Pittsburgh, ANU, Sydney (Sydney is especially distinguished for its specialty in the philosophy of biology), and LSE. You also might want to research how well U.S. undergraduate philosophy majors score on standardised tests for graduate programs, e.g., GRE & LSAT (even when religion majors are lumped in with philosophy). My impression is that thinkers such as Popper, Kuhn, and Hempel are light years beyond your grasp. So, by all means, don't risk disappearing into the ether and get back to eating those Crackerjacks.

Jaime

• Getbig V
  • North Pole, fucking elves left, right and centre.
« Reply #137 on: June 28, 2012, 09:12:41 AM »
Your writing, as evidenced by the above post, suggests, indeed, that the only way you would come into possession of a master's degree in philosophy is to find one accidentally. I'm not sure about Vince B's time as a graduate student, but you might be surprised to learn how competitive it is to get into top philosophy of science programs like, inter alia, Pittsburgh, ANU, Sydney (Sydney is especially distinguished for its specialty in the philosophy of biology), and LSE. You also might want to research how well U.S. undergraduate philosophy majors score on standardised tests for graduate programs, e.g., GRE & LSAT (even when religion majors are lumped in with philosophy). My impression is that thinkers such as Popper, Kuhn, and Hempel are light years beyond your grasp. So, by all means, don't risk disappearing into the ether and get back to eating those Crackerjacks.

Yes........Crackerjacks.
Trans Milkshake.

bigmc

• Getbig V
« Reply #138 on: June 28, 2012, 09:28:20 AM »
vince basille entrepenuer
T

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #139 on: June 28, 2012, 09:29:26 AM »
Vince, you miserable old crank, do you ever smile?
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #140 on: June 28, 2012, 09:35:25 AM »
Vince, you miserable old crank, do you ever smile?
I'd say the closest Vince comes to a smile is a palsied rictus.   

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
  • Ron crowned me King because I always deliver.
« Reply #141 on: June 28, 2012, 09:37:03 AM »

Dumbest post of the year candidate.

bigmc

• Getbig V
« Reply #142 on: June 28, 2012, 09:37:18 AM »
is vince still dating pellius

i know they had arranged a date
T

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
« Reply #143 on: June 28, 2012, 09:40:21 AM »

He killed Pellius and used his bones for his new exercise machine.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #144 on: June 28, 2012, 09:41:46 AM »
Chaos, how on earth can anyone make conclusions about personality from posts on discussion boards? I posted on a forum for a few years and was invited to the webmaster's home in California. After chatting with him for about 20 minutes he told me I was a funny guy. I asked if that wasn't obvious on the forums. Nope. So there you are. My sense of humour must differ from the rank and file here. One of my daughters said that most people 'don't get me'. Instead of finding me amusing they think I am stupid or someone weird. At my gym I am always being light and having fun. I have many awards for shit-stirring. They give out extra large wooden spoons as a prize. I often try to post amusing stuff here but that isn't how I am perceived.

Same goes for you, Chaos, you don't seem like a guy who has fun yet you claim you do. So what do I know? Well, unless your idea of having fun is to try to make others squirm.

bigmc

• Getbig V
« Reply #145 on: June 28, 2012, 09:43:11 AM »
Chaos, how on earth can anyone make conclusions about personality from posts on discussion boards? I posted on a forum for a few years and was invited to the webmaster's home in California. After chatting with him for about 20 minutes he told me I was a funny guy. I asked if that wasn't obvious on the forums. Nope. So there you are. My sense of humour must differ from the rank and file here. One of my daughters said that most people 'don't get me'. Instead of finding me amusing they think I am stupid or someone weird. At my gym I am always being light and having fun. I have many awards for shit-stirring. They give out extra large wooden spoons as a prize. I often try to post amusing stuff here but that isn't how I am perceived.

Same goes for you, Chaos, you don't seem like a guy who has fun yet you claim you do. So what do I know? Well, unless your idea of having fun is to try to make others squirm.

meeting random men off the internet vince

you are as funny as cancer you old cu nt
T

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
« Reply #146 on: June 28, 2012, 09:43:41 AM »

He killed Pellius and used his bones for a new exercise machine.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #147 on: June 28, 2012, 09:44:48 AM »

Incorrect, i actually know a guy who teaches philosophy and possesses a degree. His general intelligence is low, very low.

Yeah, typically the uneducated perceive highly intelligent or educated individuals as not having much common sense, etc. If you are a trained psychologist in

testing IQ and have supervised a test with that guy who teaches philosophy then you might convince me if he scored low. Otherwise, what do you know?

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #148 on: June 28, 2012, 09:46:53 AM »
Pellius disappeared. Elfs will do that, you know. I won't be visiting America this year so meeting Pellius won't happen. He is fairer than most on this forum.

bigmc

• Getbig V
« Reply #149 on: June 28, 2012, 09:47:50 AM »
Pellius disappeared. Elfs will do that, you know. I won't be visiting America this year so meeting Pellius won't happen. He is fairer than most on this forum.

were you hoping to destroy his back doors vince
T