Author Topic: Gains at 47  (Read 4313 times)

John O

• Getbig III
Gains at 47
« on: November 06, 2005, 03:17:46 PM »
I know it won't be like it is in your teens or twentys, but, if you work hard enough is it still possible to make gains  in muscle size when you well into your 40's?. Even if it's only the slightist amount. Or at that age are you doomed to what you already have? I'm 47.

I use to powerlift (132 class) now I'm 154 ( and a little soft)  :-[  but it took it's toll on me. I have really only been pumping hear & there. I want to get  back into it, but have this nagging question LOL

Thanks!!

John
Masters- 50-54
148#

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
Re: Gains at 47
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2005, 04:11:23 PM »
Definitely, with the right program, equipment, frequency and determination, of course.

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2005, 08:02:14 PM »
Yeah it would be worth it!  Sure the gains are not going to come as easy as if you were still 20, but they are not going to come at all if you don't get back in the gym.  Just hit it hard and hit it smart and you will do just fine.

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2005, 02:39:46 AM »
Yeah it would be worth it!  Sure the gains are not going to come as easy as if you were still 20, but they are not going to come at all if you don't get back in the gym.  Just hit it hard and hit it smart and you will do just fine.

A good buddy of mine recently set a new PB in the deadlift and also a new world record deadlift for 60years+ in the 198 lbs division with 580 lbs.

Avoid injuries and overtraining. Then you'll be fine.

YIP
Zack
As empty as paradise

Negative05

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2005, 07:19:27 PM »
Get on hormone replacement therapy and roid up if you feel like it.  Hell, you are 47 and it is time!

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2005, 08:20:45 PM »
Get on hormone replacement therapy and roid up if you feel like it.  Hell, you are 47 and it is time!
Don't you think that first he needs to worry about getting back in the gym?  True, HRT would benifit him a good deal, but he needs to find his drive and motivation for trainning first and then worry about the other.

Gary

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2005, 10:40:45 AM »
Or at that age are you doomed to what you already have? I'm 47.

1) The question is irrelavent since you can't be 40 again.

2) Your body usually regresses with respect to muscular atrophy and bone density as you age if you do no weight activity so, yes, you can make gains but even if you could not, you could halt regression.

3) At 47, you are generally a lot wiser and more intelligent than a twenty year old.  Brains can win over a gifted dumbass anyday.  Coleman obviously has help with regards to brains.  However, I infer from the question itself that you may need to work on this area  ;D

4) I didn't start training seriously until 40 and stepped on stage the first time at 43 with no AAS or hormone therapy aids other than my young "gifted" wife  ;)  I'm 47 and I don't think it's wise to convince yourself that you can't achieve.  Just don't follow the routines by the ghost writers in those stupid muscle rags and learn the amount of work you can handle and recover from. 

Bear03

• Getbig IV
  • back in the swing of things
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2005, 01:11:45 PM »
Look at it this way-  If it was impossible to make any improvement at 47, no one over 40 would be in the gym anymore.  We all know that's not true.  At 47, health should also be a concern.  Training for strength and fitness certainly can't hurt, and given the right supplementation (i think hormone therapy was mentioned, and if you can score that, more power to you) you will certainly improve your physique to some degree.
:-)

Sculpter

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2005, 03:02:56 PM »
I would think you can still make great gains at the age of 47.I think the biggest thing is that you will have to be more diligent concerning your nutrition & finding which exercises work best for your body type.Supplementing with creatine/glutamine & a good whey protein will help you also. Be patient however because the gains will probably come slower for a person your age compared to a younger person.Metabolism does start to slow down for us people over the ages of 35 right?Good luck!