Author Topic: Cars - what kind of car do you have seriously?  (Read 77819 times)

basil

• Getbig IV
Re: Cars - what kind of car do you have seriously?
« Reply #175 on: December 11, 2012, 04:03:25 AM »
Anybody into modifying or upgrading their car? Or better yet what kind of car do you currently drive, whether it's a lease or financed. I currently have a Nissan Murano '09 model.

- Discuss

I have a 2012 Nissan XTerra offroad.  2nd Nissan and I'm very happy with the vehicle and service.  Also a 2012 Ford Edge.  I like the Edge as well, but I spend most time in the Nissan. 

BigCyp

• Getbig V
« Reply #176 on: December 11, 2012, 06:20:30 AM »
garebear doesn't own a car, but he rents a van with blacked out windows and offers a free school bus service to the under 10's

B_B_C

• Getbig IV
  • change is the lot of all
« Reply #177 on: December 11, 2012, 06:29:22 AM »
garebear doesn't own a car, but he rents a van with blacked out windows and offers a free school bus service to the under 10's

all part of your avitar quotation?

why are so many of your posts obsessed with homosex? there are other kinds of sex
c

BigCyp

• Getbig V
« Reply #178 on: December 11, 2012, 06:31:02 AM »
all part of your avitar quotation?

why are so many of your posts obsessed with homosex? there are other kinds of sex

Why have I only ever read this post that you have made?

B_B_C

• Getbig IV
  • change is the lot of all
« Reply #179 on: December 11, 2012, 07:13:24 AM »
Quote from: BigCyp link=topic= date=1355236262
Why have I only ever read this post that you have made?

I dont know what you read here  but I have seen some of what you write here
c

snx

• Getbig IV
« Reply #180 on: December 11, 2012, 08:49:09 AM »
I drive a 5-year old Civic. Great on mileage, very reliable.

Not easy on the eyes compared to the rides you studs roll thru the hood in. But then I don't care. I'm packing enough in my pants and in my bank account that I don't need to front with a flashy car to impress people in general.

Also, a tip to fellow management consultants: don't show up to your client site in a fancy car. Downplay how much money you make. No client likes to feel like they're paying their consultant too much money...or at least enough money to ride around in a Ferrari. Employees at any company can take this to heart. Trust me...your CEO doesn't like looking down in his parking lot and seeing your expensive car. It may have some type of effect on your salary increase come review time. How could he not think "I'm paying Jones a bit too much I think...look at that brand new Audi".

There's a flipside though too...don't pull up to your client site in a jalopy. You at least need to give the indication that other clients find you smart enough to have hired you before them, and paid you enough money to allow you to buy a decent car.

Compromise...the long lost art.

EH

• Getbig III
« Reply #181 on: December 11, 2012, 09:31:43 AM »
big black durango.

looking for a used diesel H1.

give me $20k and i'll take a '92 NSX-T

give me $50k and i'll take Ferrari F355 (red, please.. with Tubi exhaust)

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #182 on: December 11, 2012, 11:53:57 AM »
2001 Ford Taurus and a 94 Ford F150.  Transmission is slipping on the Taurus so I'll be getting another Taurus soon
A

Gregzs

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #183 on: January 23, 2013, 12:16:42 AM »
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/22/us/barrett-jackson-auction-is-heaven-for-car-collectors.html?nl=todaysheadlines&emc=edit_th_20130122&_r=0

Arizona Sale of Rare Cars Draws Rich and Envious

By FERNANDA SANTOS

SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. — The way Steve Davis sees it, arranging collectible cars for display at auction is like writing the script for a good action movie: “You’ve got to have a beginning that gets you excited, a middle that grips you and an end that delivers.”

Barrett-Jackson, which bills itself as “the world’s greatest collector car auction,” had several tents mounted on the same expanse of green grass where horses and players convened for a polo match some months ago, as well as a main pavilion where the rarest and most valuable of all the vehicles could be found. Mr. Davis, the company’s president, arranged each of them, looking to offer “an experience” for the more than 310,000 visitors who came by over the course of six days, but ultimately to entice buyers.

He positioned a 2005 Chevy Silverado by the main pavilion’s entrance, which was right by the building where 5,000 people whose combined lines of credit hit nearly $1 billion signed up to bid on roughly 1,400 vehicles — not including the potential buyers who needed no credit check to place their bids.

Some of the cars were extraordinarily expensive, others were there to suit the middle market, but all of them were objects of someone’s desire, from the custom-built quarter-scale replica of a John Deere tractor, sold for $7,500, to television’s original 1966 Batmobile, sold for $4.62 million. (Except for the vehicles that were sold for charity, all prices include the buyer’s commission.)

Cars were not the only attraction, though. There was a mall at which vendors were selling diamond earrings, private jets and handmade cowboy boots; racing simulators to entertain children and adults; and a lounge where women could get their hair and makeup done while sipping wine, away from the dizzying chant of the auctioneer.

“Spending money is the sport here,” Mr. Davis said.

And there were many enticements. The elaborately customized Silverado pickup was literally a work of art, its body adorned with scenes of combat, patriotic monuments and firefighters emerging from the smoldering remains of the World Trade Center towers. It had a polished stainless-steel frame, a hand-molded fiberglass interior, airbrushed leather seats and a formidable stereo system. Its owners, Dale and Connie Ison of Hillsboro, Ohio, said it took five years, 50,000 hours and $658,000 to get it the way it is. It sold for $209,000.

The Isons said the truck was, more than anything, a repository of memories. Mr. Ison, 61, recalled meeting the son of the sailor famously pictured kissing a woman in Times Square on the day in August 1945 when the war against Japan ended, an image reproduced on the Silverado, which has been to county fairs, Veterans Day parades and even the Pentagon’s courtyard, but got to be “too much for a man my age.”

Six slots in — next to the 1946 four-door Cadillac sedan that featured a rear-mounted shotgun, cowhide seats and bull horns on the hood (sale price: $77,000) — Norma and Vernon Wamsley said goodbye to the 1954 Kaiser Darrin convertible that had been theirs since 1989, when they bought it “in pieces, nuts and bolts in pails,” as Mrs. Wamsley put it.

She snapped a picture of her husband, who seemed more anxious about how much the car would fetch at the auction than about giving it up for good.

Barrett-Jackson featured the largest number of no-reserve cars ever auctioned, or cars that are sold to the highest bidder, regardless of what the bid might be. It is a risky proposition for the seller, as well as an enticement for potential buyers, given the possibility of bringing home a car for a lot less than what it is worth.

“We’re hoping to get good funds,” said Mr. Wamsley, whose Kaiser Darrin sold for $106,700.

Barrett-Jackson began as a charity fund-raising car show in the 1960s and evolved into the big event that it is today — exclusivity cloaked in a carnival atmosphere. While high rollers in skyboxes dined on scallops and sea bass, others had plenty of food choices on the pavement outside, including hot dogs and funnel cake.

“I’ve been coming here for 10 years and it always blows me away,” said Jeff Otto, 52, who had never placed a bid and had no plans to bid on any car. He had flown in from Denver, bringing his son, Christopher, who is 14, and his father-in-law, Jim Stewart, who is 72.

This year, gross car sales reached nearly $109 million, a 17 percent increase over last year and a tie for the record set in 2007, before the economy collapsed and car collectors kept their most prized possessions in the garage, knowing it was not a good time to sell.

On Saturday, a 1955 Mercedes-Benz 300SL, which Clark Gable had bought for $7,295, sold for $2.03 million. The Batmobile — customized in 15 days, on a $15,000 budget, out of a 1955 Lincoln Futura — also sold that night, as did 21 vehicles whose proceeds went for charity. One of them was a 2009 Ford F150 Super Crew pickup truck owned by President George W. Bush (sale price: $300,000). Another was the first 2014 Corvette Stingray to hit the retail market (sale price: $1.1 million).

Craig Jackson, chairman and chief executive of the Barrett-Jackson Auction Company, said the event, which ended on Sunday, is “a scene, it’s an attraction.” But the cars, he went on, are “first and foremost a huge investment.”

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
  • Ron crowned me King because I always deliver.
« Reply #184 on: January 23, 2013, 03:46:18 PM »
I drive a 5-year old Civic. Great on mileage, very reliable.

Not easy on the eyes compared to the rides you studs roll thru the hood in. But then I don't care. I'm packing enough in my pants and in my bank account that I don't need to front with a flashy car to impress people in general.

Also, a tip to fellow management consultants: don't show up to your client site in a fancy car. Downplay how much money you make. No client likes to feel like they're paying their consultant too much money...or at least enough money to ride around in a Ferrari. Employees at any company can take this to heart. Trust me...your CEO doesn't like looking down in his parking lot and seeing your expensive car. It may have some type of effect on your salary increase come review time. How could he not think "I'm paying Jones a bit too much I think...look at that brand new Audi".

There's a flipside though too...don't pull up to your client site in a jalopy. You at least need to give the indication that other clients find you smart enough to have hired you before them, and paid you enough money to allow you to buy a decent car.

Compromise...the long lost art.
Do I even need to say it? Outed.

hazbin

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #185 on: January 23, 2013, 05:02:41 PM »
i just bought a piss pot BMW to drop my fuel costs.   saves me $300 per month

Gregzs

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #186 on: March 01, 2013, 08:46:55 PM »
http://jalopnik.com/the-mercedes-g63-6x6-will-dominate-every-other-suv-at-t-450717849

The Mercedes G63 6x6 Will Dominate Every Other SUV At The Mall
Mercedes G63 6x6 Dubai Geneva Motor Show

Four-wheel drive. Everyone seems to have it these days and, frankly, it's getting a bit boring. Mercedes realizes that too. But unlike everyone else, they're here to make a difference. That's where the brand new G63 6x6 comes in.

The G63 6x6 is six-wheel drive. That means it will be able to scale Mount Everest in total comfort, drive a group of four from China to Latvia with nary a worry, as well as terrify small indigenous tribes that have never seen a moving vehicle, let alone one that looks like it's out to murder you.

However, you'll likely see it in its natural habitat, scaling the parking garage at the local galleria during a sale at Neiman Marcus.

The G63 6x6 is powered by the G63's twin turbo V8. That equals 536 horsepower and 560 pound feet of torque. The torque split betwixt all six wheels is a nice 30:40:30. That adds up to 0 to 60 in under six seconds and a top speed of 100 MPH. That might sound slow, but it has 37 inch tires and weighs, weight (!) for it, 8,322 pounds.

There are also five locking differentials, I guess so you can drive over everyone else waiting to valet park for the opera.

It sounds like an absolutely manic offroader. It can ford depths of 39.3 inches, which should be enough to drive through the deepest puddles you'll find on a rainy day in Los Angeles. You can also inflate and deflate the tires from the inside, which means you won't scuff your shoes filling up the tires at the local Valero.

The cargo bed is finished in polished bamboo, which sounds rather lovely. It'll also be a great way to transport your new Prada merchandise.

To be serious for a moment, this thing looks incredible. It has off-road capabilities that you only dream of these days and can probably tackle anything you throw at it. It looks like it'll be perfectly at home on sand dunes and mountains. In fact, it looks like it would actively try and destroy you if you drove on a paved road. I love this thing.

Mercedes will build about 20 to 30 of the trucks each year at a price of somewhere around $450,000. If you want one, you better get in line behind members of the Dubai royal family as well as Paris Hilton. Probably.

hazbin

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #187 on: March 01, 2013, 08:49:25 PM »
haha, i was driving yesterday and was behind a van.  the sticker on the back said'   'THAT AWKWARD MOMENT WHEN YOU GET IN THE VAN AND THERE'S NO CANDY'.    no bullshit. i took a pic but it didn't turn out very good.

arce1988

• Getbig V
  • ARCE USA USMC
« Reply #188 on: March 01, 2013, 09:26:38 PM »

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
Re: Cars
« Reply #189 on: March 01, 2013, 09:29:04 PM »
dude some guy its trying to steal your camaro

hahahahah!!!

quadzilla456

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
Re: Cars
« Reply #190 on: March 01, 2013, 09:51:56 PM »
2004 Mustang Cobra SVT
Stage 4 Stiegemeier Port job on factory blower, upgraded injectors, 2lbs pulley, JLP intake with a SLP Loudmouth catback exhaust. 8)

Sorry fellas, no 22's or any of that bullshit right over here... ;D
Nice!

Emmortal

• Getbig V
« Reply #191 on: March 01, 2013, 10:20:07 PM »
Not my exact car, but very close to it.

1993 RX7 R1 - mine was fairly well modified, front mount Greddy intercooler, Pettit Racing Cold Air Intake, HKS T4OZ single turbo at 18lbs of boost, 3" downpipe, free flow cats, Racingbeat 4" cat back, 1600cc fuel rail, lightweight flywheel and Exedy stage 2 clutch, short shift kit, and various other gadgets, along with Aragostas coil over suspension system. 

Funnest car I've ever driven and would smoke Porsche Turbos, Ferrari's whatever.  Only had problems with heavily modified Supras in a straight line, once that second turbo kicked in they would start to walk away a bit.  One day I'll build another when I have the gumption to do so.

MMC78

• Getbig II
« Reply #192 on: March 01, 2013, 10:52:32 PM »
^^ Love it.  Truly one of the most beautiful cars to ever come out of Japan.  Reliability... not so much ;)

Had an RX-8.  Currently driving this:

Jadeveon Clowney

• Getbig V
  • The life is like a case of chocolate bonbon.
« Reply #193 on: March 01, 2013, 11:27:17 PM »
chevy cobalt SS - ladies love its sporty looks.  engine sounds like it was made by amg.

Jadeveon Clowney

• Getbig V
  • The life is like a case of chocolate bonbon.
« Reply #194 on: March 01, 2013, 11:37:47 PM »
Anybody into modifying or upgrading their car? Or better yet what kind of car do you currently drive, whether it's a lease or financed. I currently have a Nissan Murano '09 model.

- Discuss

aren't you the cat who modified his shifter so that you could use it to anally pleasure yourself on you morning commute?

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #195 on: March 01, 2013, 11:57:56 PM »
Not my exact car, but very close to it.

1993 RX7 R1 - mine was fairly well modified, front mount Greddy intercooler, Pettit Racing Cold Air Intake, HKS T4OZ single turbo at 18lbs of boost, 3" downpipe, free flow cats, Racingbeat 4" cat back, 1600cc fuel rail, lightweight flywheel and Exedy stage 2 clutch, short shift kit, and various other gadgets, along with Aragostas coil over suspension system. 

Funnest car I've ever driven and would smoke Porsche Turbos, Ferrari's whatever.  Only had problems with heavily modified Supras in a straight line, once that second turbo kicked in they would start to walk away a bit.  One day I'll build another when I have the gumption to do so.

Damn, damn damn...what do you think about people now modding RX2s and RX3s?

Powerlift66

• Getbig V
« Reply #196 on: March 02, 2013, 02:05:45 AM »

mik1111

• Getbig III
« Reply #197 on: March 02, 2013, 03:39:39 AM »

to compensate for my big dick ;D

Emmortal

• Getbig V
« Reply #198 on: March 02, 2013, 09:04:02 AM »
Damn, damn damn...what do you think about people now modding RX2s and RX3s?

I had a buddy of who had a 9 second RX2.  They are very popular down in Puerto Rico.  Thing was retarded fast, scary to drive in fact.  I'm not much of a straight line power kind of guy, I like driving through twisties and handling is more important than brute force power to me.  That's what I loved about my FD, fast as hell and could turn on a dime, like riding on rails.  I have yet to drive a car like it, at least one that got my heart racing just walking up to it keys in hand.

I was thinking of building a 3 rotor 20b if I did another build, but they are getting very hard to get a hold of now.

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
« Reply #199 on: March 02, 2013, 09:14:14 AM »
2006 F150 crew cab