Author Topic: weighted dips  (Read 8227 times)

Jr. Yates

• Getbig V
weighted dips
« on: November 07, 2005, 03:36:56 PM »
how far apart should your hands be to best hit the tris? and not hurt yourself.  the dipping bar at my gym gets wider the farther you go out...i find if i go too far its hitting my chest.
bodybuildersreality.com

Negative05

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
Re: weighted dips
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2005, 08:18:08 PM »
Take the chain belt and put a dumbbell in it...not a 45 lb plate like most fools haha.  The dumbbell will NOT fall out.

Now, do yours set starting at the widest point and moving closer together.  Works pretty good. 

brianX

• Getbig IV
  • Kiwiol has 13" arms!
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2005, 09:47:30 PM »
You have to be pretty dumb to injure yourself doing dips.
hahahahahahahahahahahaha

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2005, 07:06:08 AM »
how far apart should your hands be to best hit the tris? and not hurt yourself.  the dipping bar at my gym gets wider the farther you go out...i find if i go too far its hitting my chest.

find what is most comfortable to you. i have broad shoulders and i have to use widest part of the dipping bar or it just doesn't feel right in my shoulders.

8)

rocket

• Getbig V
  • Yes. Your retarted.
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2005, 07:24:42 AM »
I don't get why you're a fool if you use plates.  How is a  plate going to fall out when you've put the chain through the hole?  How is that (less) safer than a dumbell

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2005, 07:38:34 AM »
I don't get why you're a fool if you use plates.  How is a  plate going to fall out when you've put the chain through the hole?  How is that (less) safer than a dumbell

just another opinion i guess...i like using plates myself.

8)

Jr. Yates

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2005, 02:01:37 PM »
I prefer plates too
bodybuildersreality.com

Jr. Yates

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2005, 02:57:46 PM »
i think i'm the only one i've seen do em at my gym
bodybuildersreality.com

Negative051

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2005, 07:42:21 PM »
Okkkkk!  Let us say we are doing weighted dips today with 135 lbs for 4 sets of 6 reps.  You can loop a chain through 3 of the 45 plates or....you could just go grab a 135 dumbbell.  No pinching your thighs no rattling like a thunderstorm, and you do not look like a fool because you can't walk.

Obviously you guys do not use much weights on weighted dips (100 lbs +) or I would not have to explain the benefits of using a small, compact dumbbell.

NoCalBbEr

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2005, 08:31:26 PM »
most ppl are in dfferent weigh. im sure theres some here who dip 10lbs but is your bodyweight plus 100-135lbs heavier then you..

what happened to the old dip/chin belts in the gyms??

rocket

• Getbig V
  • Yes. Your retarted.
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2005, 01:52:11 AM »
Okkkkk!  Let us say we are doing weighted dips today with 135 lbs for 4 sets of 6 reps.  You can loop a chain through 3 of the 45 plates or....you could just go grab a 135 dumbbell.  No pinching your thighs no rattling like a thunderstorm, and you do not look like a fool because you can't walk.

Obviously you guys do not use much weights on weighted dips (100 lbs +) or I would not have to explain the benefits of using a small, compact dumbbell.

Correct I do not use 100lbs+ however I have and do use quite a thick stack of weights due to laziness of changing up to less plates.  Just for the record I don't weigh much either.. I'm just not strong.

I'm not sure how you structure your belt but I never rattle and I'm not stupid enough to walk around with the weight on me :)  I take it off every set and put it on at the dip station. 

I am pretty much the only person in my gym that I've seen in quite a while who does weighted dips too.   I've never tried using a db, do you lock it between your feet or something?

dontknowit

• Getbig III
  • Masino's clit is kidnapped
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2005, 05:43:23 AM »
I started a revelution in my gym,
i was the first to do them, after seeing the movie Blood and Guts, Dorian Yates, and now everybody does them.
I prefer dumbells, but that's because the belt is to small, the owner has bought own confirm his own size, and he has Asian origin.

About the TS question, choose a comfortable width. The smaller, the more you hit the triceps, but some people get injuries/pain if they dip to small.

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2005, 07:50:38 AM »
Take the chain belt and put a dumbbell in it...not a 45 lb plate like most fools haha.  The dumbbell will NOT fall out.

Now, do yours set starting at the widest point and moving closer together.  Works pretty good. 

my gym doesnt have 180lb dumbells so i need to use plates. also you can hit the tris more by keeping upright nad keeping elbows in rather than leaning into it and hitting chest more

sarcasm

• Getbig V
  • The Luke loves Dungeons and Dragons
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2005, 08:14:22 AM »
I started a revelution in my gym,
i was the first to do them, after seeing the movie Blood and Guts, Dorian Yates, and now everybody does them.
I prefer dumbells, but that's because the belt is to small, the owner has bought own confirm his own size, and he has Asian origin.

About the TS question, choose a comfortable width. The smaller, the more you hit the triceps, but some people get injuries/pain if they dip to small.

WTF are you talking about? Dorian didn't do weighted dips in Blood and Guts.
Jaejonna rows 125!!

Negative051

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2005, 07:38:14 PM »
Correct I do not use 100lbs+ however I have and do use quite a thick stack of weights due to laziness of changing up to less plates.  Just for the record I don't weigh much either.. I'm just not strong.

I'm not sure how you structure your belt but I never rattle and I'm not stupid enough to walk around with the weight on me :)  I take it off every set and put it on at the dip station. 

I am pretty much the only person in my gym that I've seen in quite a while who does weighted dips too.   I've never tried using a db, do you lock it between your feet or something?

Rocket-  Once you have the belt with a chain on take the DB and lay it into the chain.  I know it sounds like it will fly off but it won't.  When you stand up and the DB is in between your legs it will rise to like a 65 degree angle.  Now do you dips and hop down.  If you want to pyramid so much easier than looping weights all the time.  Just try it.  Someone should it to me years ago.

SLYY

• Getbig IV
  • A mug only your mom could love...
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2005, 04:33:52 AM »

Unfortunately, my gym only has dumbells that go up to 100's so plates are necessary.

You have to be pretty dumb to injure yourself doing dips.

And I hope you are kidding with this comment.  When one has over a hundred pounds attached to them, all that weight is put on the shoulder joint to hold them up.  You say an injury can only occur to dumb people while doing this exercise?  Wow  ::)

Jr. Yates

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2005, 12:46:56 PM »
i don't think you look like an idiot using plates.....anybody who is going to strap on 3,4,5 plates or more and get ready to do a heavy set of dips which i rarely see anyways has earned my respect. and some gym's dumbells only go up to a certain weight 5 plates is 225 and i've never seen a 225lbs dumbell before.
bodybuildersreality.com

n

« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2005, 05:26:20 PM »
i don't think you look like an idiot using plates.....anybody who is going to strap on 3,4,5 plates or more and get ready to do a heavy set of dips which i rarely see anyways has earned my respect. and some gym's dumbells only go up to a certain weight 5 plates is 225 and i've never seen a 225lbs dumbell before.

If I see a ANYONE (besides Lee Priest) using *5* plates to do weighted dips I am going to lmao.  Can you imagine the rattling and duck like walk to the dip bar?! lol  Then the anticipation and everyone watches and waits for the chain to break causing the plates to tip over the dip bar, flip a Cybex machine, scatter some women, and hit and old man! lol

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2005, 12:59:40 AM »
I've said it before it was pretty common for guys to strap 2 150 lb. db's between there legs and do sets of 10 to 15 reps of dips and chins.  Roy Callendar and Paul Pettis was famous for this.  Also, Jr you got to change gyms.  Most gyms have db's up to 150 at least.  Our gym on Oahu has them to 300 at 10 lb increments

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2005, 05:36:16 AM »
I've said it before it was pretty common for guys to strap 2 150 lb. db's between there legs and do sets of 10 to 15 reps of dips and chins.  Roy Callendar and Paul Pettis was famous for this.  Also, Jr you got to change gyms.  Most gyms have db's up to 150 at least.  Our gym on Oahu has them to 300 at 10 lb increments

although thats amazing how well equipped you are you gotta admit those dumbells are really just for show and quite a waste,

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2005, 09:38:18 AM »
Well actually the db's 200 and over get allot of work here.  Allot of the guys are doing 200+ on db rows.  They were origiannly more for show but ended up being used quite a bit.  When Coleman came he used the 300 to do 12 reps with db rows.  Several guys use 200+ for benching.  But yea they were for show mostly.

Jr. Yates

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2005, 03:27:57 PM »
actually my gym's dumbbells go up to 160 but if you wanted to go heavier you'd have to use plates
bodybuildersreality.com