Author Topic: Hamstrings  (Read 3370 times)

Crossbones

• Getbig II
Hamstrings
« on: July 22, 2012, 10:06:13 PM »
What are some good isolation exercises for hamstrings that i can do without stressing the lower back?

My quads are developed but my hams are lagging way behind. My legs were nice and even until i injured my back. Now i have a case of squat butt since my hams are woefully behind.While my front quads are developed.  I tried doing lying leg curls gradually but if i dont pay attention i end up straining my back. I'm trying use a lighter weight but that doesnt help me fill it out.  Any good exercises?

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
Re: Hamstrings
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2012, 02:11:48 AM »
try doing DB lunges for a while and leg press with your feet a bit higher on the platform(seated leg press machine). can try cable exercises to hit your hams too but i think if you do the 2 mentioned exercises and maybe try partner resistance leg curls.

wild willie

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2012, 07:19:12 AM »
Unilateral leg curls on the Flex hamstring apparatus is the best!

But as Donny mentioned, leg presses with your feet placed a little higher will work the hamstrings nicely!

POB

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2012, 07:15:05 PM »
stiff legged deadlift and lying leg curls, ffs, concentrate on the movement man, what kind of excuse is this "i have to concentrate on the form", you have to do that on any exercise,lol

Lol,he said w/o stressing lower back. I would advise against any type of dead lift light or heavy

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2012, 08:00:27 PM »
You may also wish to try glute-ham raises.
Done correctly, the majority of tension should be on the hamstrings; not the lower back.

You can also use some type of bar or stick to assist with the movement. By holding the bar vertically in front of you with one end resting on the ground, you can leverage yourself up a bit on the concentric portion of the movement, providing just the right amount of resistance.
This method also allows you to lower yourself in a slower and more controlled manner during the eccentric portion, which is more forgiving on temperamental backs.

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2012, 07:43:12 PM »
seated and laying hammie curls. dont need alot of weight. if you think you do, which you say you do, then your most likely not doing them correctly. try a slow negative of about 6 second on every single rep, and a hard and fast but CONTROLLED positive... then right back into a very slow and steady and smooth negative for 6 seconds... even with only 20-30 lbs loaded up this can make your hamstring fatigue with a moderate amouint of reps.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2012, 02:09:53 AM »
seated and laying hammie curls. dont need alot of weight. if you think you do, which you say you do, then your most likely not doing them correctly. try a slow negative of about 6 second on every single rep, and a hard and fast but CONTROLLED positive... then right back into a very slow and steady and smooth negative for 6 seconds... even with only 20-30 lbs loaded up this can make your hamstring fatigue with a moderate amouint of reps.
yeah...i agree Ham curls are really the best isolation movement you can do and you do not really need a lot of weight like you wrote. Most people are weaker on leg curls than Extensions. I remember before i got a leg curl/extension machine for my home gym along with stiff deads i did standing leg curls with iron boots!! now that is Old school... ;D

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2012, 05:08:08 AM »
stiff legged deadlift and lying leg curls, ffs, concentrate on the movement man, what kind of excuse is this "i have to concentrate on the form", you have to do that on any exercise,lol

i've been doing stiff-leg deads lately to try and get some bigger hams and bootie, but for some strange reason it's making my lats grow ??? ??? ???

i know this coz i only do one other exercise for lats (db rows) and with them i've just been keeping it at a maintaince level ie. not increasing my training load, and my lats have gotten bigger, so it's gotta be from the SLD's

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2012, 11:26:06 AM »
SLDL's, like regular DL's, stretch and  call upon the lats to assist in the exercise. So, yes, the lats do get their share of work, and usually with a fairly good pump. Most always, any form of DL's will affect the lat's/back greatly.

Might try doing GoodMornings (keeping the lower back flat) with the toes on a 2X4, plates, etc. Don't need any where near a heavy weigh in this movement. Exceptional  stretch.

Usually a good idea to work the hams curls one leg at a time. Suggest the standing leg curl machine or similar devices, over the lying versions. Even the sitting position ham curls can be very rewarding. .

One of the better ways to insure constant focus and work  on the hams, both positive and negative reps, is to have  training partner resist the curling motion. Usually a strap around the ankles is used, but hand resistence can also be applied.  Track athletes use this a lot. You should be receiving 100% effort throughout the exercise. Usually best preformed on a higher bench/table.

Can also assume the kneeling position and have the training partner hold the asnkles/feet down, while you lower the body and come back up again. Something like Montague suggest.  Hold a BB plate as you advance in this exercise.   Good luck.
F

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2012, 12:41:13 PM »
that's a good point you make jpm

i have an old powerlifting book called "powerlifting, a guide for coaches and athletes" and the author says this regarding the mid-point of deads

"during the process of deadlifting the upper arm is drawn slightly back as the bar is pulled upward, and this movement is primarily executed by the latissimus dorsi and teras major, as they serve to pull the bar slightly back when deadlifting"

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2012, 07:48:14 AM »
great thread...more more!!

Crossbones

• Getbig II
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2012, 12:24:31 AM »
Good stuff. As alwayys getbig delivers.

I'm taking a couple of days off since i'll be doing some heavy lifting in the form of moving apartments. Probably will take some of those back relax tabs just in case. I started accumilating some free weights to train at home when i dont have time to go to the gym. Now i gotta move all that stuff.  I'm moving a bit away from the downtown core to lawrence west area. I'm in toronto btw. Any good gyms in that area?

Jpm - would love to do good mornings and have done them in the past but havent done em since the back issue. Was always nervous about making a bad situation worse. Never tried the toes on plate variation.  Will start again with just the bar and add weight gradually.......and pray i dont cripple myself like bruce lee did.

RRKore

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2012, 10:29:38 PM »
I often get super-annoying lower back pumps when training hamstrings and what helps me might aggravate instead of help the OP's injury-related lower back discomfort but I simply superset ab exercises when training hamstrings.  Helps a lot, especially when doing SLDL's.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2012, 02:51:14 PM »
When doing lying or seated leg curls,do a full rep,followed by a half rep....this counts as one rep.

Be ready for some intense fucking pain and hopefully growth.