Author Topic: Growth spurt???  (Read 2199 times)

sketer

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
Growth spurt???
« on: November 11, 2005, 06:31:40 PM »
Does working out really cut off your growth spurt...Cas i am 15 and i am worried i aint gonna grow much more if i keep building muscle..Is this true?

brianX

• Getbig IV
  • Kiwiol has 13" arms!
Re: Growth spurt???
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2005, 06:37:55 PM »
It's an old myth. I started training at the age of 12 and it never affected my "growth spurt" (I'm slightly under 6'0").
hahahahahahahahahahahaha

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2005, 06:44:46 PM »
You are ready to build some good quality muscle! start simple and don't hurt yourself.

8)

tweak05

• Getbig II
  • Get Big Baby
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2005, 11:55:46 PM »
Does working out really cut off your growth spurt...Cas i am 15 and i am worried i aint gonna grow much more if i keep building muscle..Is this true?

have you already had your growth spurt? how tall are you now? and what phase are you in? such as are you an early bloomer (lots of facial hair, bodily hair) do people think your older...it all depends on what stage and where you are physically.

Side note, Lee Priest has worked out since god knows when, is only 5'4" and is still the tallest person in his family, lol.

freakfestMD

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2005, 11:24:39 AM »
The concept that working out with weights will "stunt" your growth is an absolute myth.

Some of this comes from old observations that many powerlifters were of relatively short stature.  The simple fact was likely that they were afforded some mechanical advantage on certain exercises due to their shorter legs or arms, and this helped them reach the upper levels of powerlifting. 

That being said, the physis (growth plate) is a structurally weak area in a bone, and is prone to injury, especially in children and young adolescents.  Children can start weight training at an early age, but light weights and strict form should be adhered to.  Hell, my 7 year-old daughter and 4 year-old son train with me every weekend.  They have their own set of 1 and 2 pound dumbells, and I take them through some basic exercises with very strict form.  They love it!