Author Topic: 4days a week,2xbodypart possible?  (Read 3619 times)

Ksly

4days a week,2xbodypart possible?
« on: November 12, 2005, 09:18:31 PM »
hey guys
I've been reading  artices on bb.com and other boards. and at the end, i came  to the end with two things. that to really max of growth you need to train this twice a week. the second being going to the gym 4-5 days. NOw, i have a busy life. so i was wondering if it would be wise to do a four day split and dodo some body parts twice a week.

maybe something like this.
mon chest/shoulders/arms
tuesback/thighs/caves
thu chest/shoulder/arms
fri back/thighs/calves

do you guys think that this is way too much?? should i just do everything once per week??
or have any ideas on how to stack a split to do everything twice per week??

thans buds

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
Re: 4days a week,2xbodypart possible?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2005, 09:36:53 PM »
u got the idea right, but it is better to split them into Upper and Lower Workouts.
M:Upper A
T:Lower A
W:Rest
Th:Upper B
Fr:Lower B

Trainaing Hard and trainaing Frequently = Results. (ofcourse diet is much more important than how well ur training split is structured)
For this to work, you need to stop your sets 1-2 reps shy of failure. Also, avoid overlap of muscle-groups to prevent overtraining.
follow the arrows

Blake

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2005, 11:32:54 PM »
Agree w/ haider.  Upper/lower is an excellent way to go.

Bear03

• Getbig IV
  • back in the swing of things
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2005, 11:39:41 PM »
Agree w/ haider.  Upper/lower is an excellent way to go.

only if you can resolve it with yourself to limit the number of sets you do in total, and the number of sets you take to failure.
:-)

brianX

• Getbig IV
  • Kiwiol has 13" arms!
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2005, 02:05:02 AM »
I've always trained each bodypart at least two or three times a week. Anyone who says you will overtrain with this style of training is FULL OF SHIT. It is almost impossible to get really big and strong without drugs if you aren't willing to train each muscle on a frequent basis.
hahahahahahahahahahahaha

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2005, 04:02:14 PM »
only if you can resolve it with yourself to limit the number of sets you do in total, and the number of sets you take to failure.
CNS fatigue has more to do with going to failure than the amount of volume. Those extra 1-2 reps will only kill your CNS, they are not needed for hypertrophy(or strength gains).
follow the arrows

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2005, 04:05:14 PM »
CNS fatigue has more to do with going to failure than the amount of volume. Those extra 1-2 reps will only kill your CNS, they are not needed for hypertrophy(or strength gains).

Agree.

YIP
Zack
As empty as paradise

Ksly

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2005, 04:17:08 PM »
can anyone give me a sample of a split i can use for  the full body split?? i usually do 3exerise per body part and 4sets each. should i keep it like that or lower it??

thx again buds

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2005, 05:31:44 PM »
From what Bear03 said, yes u need to lower volume for individual body part.
Basically, u need to ATLEAST split in half the volume you would do normally for each bodypart(so if u added the total number of sets, it would equal to the number of sets u would usually do in a week).
but usually u will need to completely overhaul your workout, both in terms of volume and more importantly, your exercise sleection. This is where the heavy compounds really come in handy.
You gotta have your basic Benches, Squats and Rows (and some of deadlifting, or SLDL's which JPM is a big fan of). Besides your side laterals, there is pretyt much no room for isolations.
Why dont u come up with a plan so we can alter it for you. I'm sure hedgehog and JPM can be of great help if u ask them.
follow the arrows

jroddvette

• Getbig I
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2006, 08:49:04 AM »
would you need to do specific exercises for arms(curls, press downs)?
or do you just rely on the compound moves?
-jrodd

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2006, 08:57:43 AM »
2-day split and working each muscle 2-3 times weekly-yes

Try splitting a number of ways, each for a month-push/pull muscles, upper-lower, or random as you've proposed, etc., and see which works and is more appealing.

Going to failure on some sets is an advantage. CNS concerns aren't a problem if you use moderate sets with more intensity.

Experiment with both isolation and compound moves, determine which you feel are hitting the intended areas best. Curls for bis, extensions for tris. Same for the number of reps-find out for yourself which works better for each muscle. No. of sets my experience is moderate sets of 10-12 for larger muscles, 7-10 for smaller muscles, with some or most sets to failure. Try volume but keep in mind that it's true that in doing volume you're in effect pacing yourself and not putting max. effort into each set. Volume's main advantage is in cutting prior to contests, from my experience training that way.

BigAlski

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2006, 09:02:36 AM »
For each BodyPart 2x a week, 6 days training is really the day to go...but most can only stand that type of regimin for 6-8 weeks.  Thats usually enough to make the gains though.  If you want to plan it all out on a calender, a 9 day rotation is better for more frequent usage.  It may go something like this:

1: Chest (heavy)
2: Bi's/Back (light)
3: Legs (heavy)
4: Off
5:Tri's/Shoulders
6: Chest (light)/Bi's
7:Back(heavy)/Shoulders (light)
8:Legs (light)/Tri's
9: Off

For light vs. heavy, compound motions and low reps could root your regemin on those days.  Chest would include lockouts and 3-4 rep sets for flats, maybe heavy incline flys, etc.  Light day would be hammer presses high reps, high rep flys, etc.  Shoulder light would have no pressing motions, only laterals and traps.  Legs would follow the same logic, as well as back.

The thing about a 2x routine is that you have to attack the compound motions and then let them rest, preferably the legs BEFORE your day off.  The hardest day should be recognized, in this case day two because of the heavy chest, but those Bi's and light back are all isolation motions.  If you really want to get into it, plan your protien and carb intakes to recover/recoup/reload compared to your workload.  This way you can avoid heavy protein overload or unneeded carbs on some days.

LatsMcGee

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2006, 12:03:53 PM »
Here's what my split looks like when I do this style of training.  This is just the workout I've been doing the past 8 weeks.

Monday Lower Body
Squat 6x6
Leg Curl 6x6
Roman Chair Squat 6x6
Donkey Calve Raises 3x20

Tuesday Upper Body
Incline DB Presses 6x6
Sternum Chins 6x6
Wide Grip Upright Row 6x6
Incline DB Curls 6x6
Pullover and Press 6x6

Thursday Lower Body
Hack Squats 6x6
HyperExtensions 6x10
Roman Chair Squat 6x6
Standing Calve Raise 3x20

Friday Upper Body
Gironda Dips 6x6
V Bar Rows 6x6
Bradford Press 6x6
Barbell Curl 6x6
OH Tricep Extensions 6x6

Blake

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2006, 01:10:37 PM »
would you need to do specific exercises for arms(curls, press downs)?
or do you just rely on the compound moves?
-jrodd

You don't need to do specific exercises for arms.

Personally I do a couple sets for arms in a high rep range after I've completed the compound movements for back, chest, and shoulders (which are done in a lower rep range).

LongtimeLurker

• Getbig II
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2006, 01:37:17 PM »
Question for those of you who have experimented with these splits:   Do you work specific exercises for calves, forearms, or abs into your routine?

Blake

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2006, 01:41:23 PM »
Question for those of you who have experimented with these splits:   Do you work specific exercises for calves, forearms, or abs into your routine?

For me I just include calves on lower body days, and abs and forearm work on upper body days.

jroddvette

• Getbig I
  • Getbig!
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2006, 10:37:57 AM »
Here's what my split looks like when I do this style of training.  This is just the workout I've been doing the past 8 weeks.

Monday Lower Body
Squat 6x6
Leg Curl 6x6
Roman Chair Squat 6x6
Donkey Calve Raises 3x20

Tuesday Upper Body
Incline DB Presses 6x6
Sternum Chins 6x6
Wide Grip Upright Row 6x6
Incline DB Curls 6x6
Pullover and Press 6x6

Thursday Lower Body
Hack Squats 6x6
HyperExtensions 6x10
Roman Chair Squat 6x6
Standing Calve Raise 3x20

Friday Upper Body
Gironda Dips 6x6
V Bar Rows 6x6
Bradford Press 6x6
Barbell Curl 6x6
OH Tricep Extensions 6x6

how are your gains while doing this split?

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2006, 12:25:51 PM »
Hey lats, I myself have ordianry body part once a week lit working out 3 times a week at the mo as i am tampering about with a full body or upper/lower body split i can use.

I notice u have no or very little shoulder work????

I like sound of JPM's workout from earlier topic=

If you were doing a true full body workout, than Workout three or as little as twice a seven day week.  Might consider;

Squats or BB Hack squats
BB rows or heavy chins
Dips (weighted) or Inclines
UPright rows or DB side press
Triceps French press (standing)
BB curl, heavy.

For the really bold hearted, who seek adventure in weight training and the maxium results in the shortest amount of time, might consider this:

Squat clean & jerk.  3X10-12 reps.
* caution this is a ball breaker. May also force you to buy larger suits & shirts before spring starts, Be Aware.

Good Luck.
It isn't the mountains ah