Author Topic: Thigh work when you can't squat.  (Read 2591 times)

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Thigh work when you can't squat.
« on: November 13, 2005, 11:26:59 AM »
I loved squatting but was diagnosed with arthritis in the low back/sacrum area a couple years ago. My thighs are not small, but bloaky looking and I always had a rough time getting them to look really shredded, no matter what. Even when I could squat heavy, other exercises like hacks seemed to be more effective for a better "look".I have read and started to aply Bob Chic's ideas on doing leg presses and hacks as he does.
The gyms I train at have just about any kind of leg equipment one could want.
Any ideas? I am game to try a few new things and can do any other movement besides reg full barbell squats or  off floor deadlifts.
Howard

XS

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
Re: Thigh work when you can't squat.
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2005, 05:52:01 PM »
>Leg Press, Lunges, Step-ups, Smith machine split Squats, Leg exts. , Leg Curls, Reverse Hypers, Back exts. , Sprints

Howard these exercises will fit the bill but it really is going to depend on your condition and how much pain you can tolerate. 

Arthritis in general doesn't worsen from continued use.  It worsens from inactivity.  Use it or lose it my friend.  *Make sure you are getting plenty of omega-3's and supplement your diet maximally.*

Read and study about your health challenge.  Know your enemy and conquer.

XS

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2005, 01:39:59 PM »
>Leg Press, Lunges, Step-ups, Smith machine split Squats, Leg exts. , Leg Curls, Reverse Hypers, Back exts. , Sprints

Howard these exercises will fit the bill but it really is going to depend on your condition and how much pain you can tolerate. 

Arthritis in general doesn't worsen from continued use.  It worsens from inactivity.  Use it or lose it my friend.  *Make sure you are getting plenty of omega-3's and supplement your diet maximally.*

Read and study about your health challenge.  Know your enemy and conquer.

XS

Awesome post.

Training is your best friend Freakazoid. Just back off the poundages some in a few of the excersises, focusing in on the form and shyte like that. ;)

YIP
Zack
As empty as paradise

XS

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2005, 03:31:32 PM »
Truth will set you free.

XS

gibberj2

• Getbig IV