Author Topic: abs  (Read 2961 times)

trulytoned

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
abs
« on: November 14, 2005, 09:15:57 PM »
I used to support the six pack a couple years ago and now that im getting back into training i only have the top four and a little bit of a gut where the bottom two should be. So my question is, can i get rid of that gut just be doing ab work or should i do cardio to. The only problem with cardio is that im trying to bulk up right now, but i would still like to get rid of that gut
big or bust

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com
Re: abs
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2005, 10:08:56 PM »
If your trying to bulk don't worry about it, it's almost imposable to have it both ways unless you are a genetic freak.  If you want the abs though really bad, my advice, stop bulking.  No matter how much ab work you do, without a clean diet that is below maintanece and plenty of cardio, the abs are going to have to wait.

trulytoned

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2005, 10:40:20 PM »
yeah thats what i figured, is it worth it to still do ab work while trying to bulk
big or bust

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2005, 11:24:48 PM »
yeah thats what i figured, is it worth it to still do ab work while trying to bulk
I think so. I still will hit my abs 3x per wk when bulking.  If you don't it can hurt you in a number of ways.  First, having a strong mid-section allows you to support more weight in certain lifts.  I have noticed a huge difference before if I have slacked in my ab training, especially with squats.  If my abs are weak, I have a harder time keeping an upright position with heavier weight. Training abs in my mind also makes it that much easier when dieting down.  If you have been training them regularly it won't be as much of a pain in the ass when you start to diet.  I will normally up my ab work to 4-5 days wk when dieting.  And finally, abs are a muscle group just like anything else, and need to be trained.  Just like any other muscle group, when bulking they may not look as good as they do when you are at a lower bf, but you don't neglect to train those other muscles, so why neglect abs.

trulytoned

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2005, 11:13:52 AM »
very good point, thanks
big or bust

Jr. Yates

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2005, 02:10:57 PM »
I agree you have to bulk up before you start to worry about leaning out and getting abs
bodybuildersreality.com

Flex 215

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2005, 03:05:58 PM »
       Arnold Jr is right, keep training the abs even when bulking. If you keep using heavier poundages, especially in squats and deadlifts, while not having strong abs, you are basically asking for an injury. Especially a hernia. Take it from me, I have found that out twice, on each side. Having a strong core is important.

trulytoned

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2005, 04:29:12 PM »
how many times a week do you usually hit abs, ive noticed abs to be the muscle group that takes the most recovery time
big or bust

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2005, 07:04:18 AM »
how many times a week do you usually hit abs, ive noticed abs to be the muscle group that takes the most recovery time

Twice a week is plenty if you use heavy weight. don't bother with basic non-weighted crunches or ab lounges...do heavy weighted ab movements twice a week. 3-4 sets of 8-12 reps. treat your abs like every other muscle. train them consistantly with heavy weights. after a few heavy sets of weighted rope crunches my abs are sore for 3 days. good stuff there.

Flex 215 makes a very good point. core strength is important if you want a powerfull injury-free body.

8)

JPM

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2005, 08:22:10 AM »
For your best interest, in the long run, it is always a good idea to hit the ab's at lease twice a week. When you come to the point of lossing that extra layer of fat than the ab's will be one of your more impressive features. As Overload said, twice a week and treat them as any other muscle group. Heavy, with 2 set's of 8-12 reps max. As a short range musce the ab wall is very powerful and should be trained that way.

Ab's will be important for that pivot or core strength point of the body. Ab's work in partnership with the lower back. Just think of the body as a X frame and the ab's/lower back as the cut off point between the upper and lower body. My favorite workout for that area is GM'ings SS'ed with heavy ab (lower & upper) work for 5-12 reps. Good Luck.

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2005, 09:02:20 AM »
My favorite workout for that area is GM'ings SS'ed with heavy ab (lower & upper) work for 5-12 reps. Good Luck.

I think i'll try that, sounds like a good one.

8)