Author Topic: Recession proof careers  (Read 18436 times)

Rudee

• Getbig V
Re: Recession proof careers
« Reply #50 on: August 18, 2012, 12:01:06 PM »
IT is recession proof but your only as good as your last project. You have to continually be involved in the latest and greatest solutions.

No, and No.  IT is NOT recession proof and you are NOT only as good as your last project. 

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #51 on: August 18, 2012, 12:52:16 PM »
No, and No.  IT is NOT recession proof and you are NOT only as good as your last project. 

I think IT as a field is recession proof... there is always a need for tech people everywhere, however some fields will certainly be outsourced to lower cost locations if that is possible.

Swollen_Powell

• Getbig II
« Reply #52 on: August 18, 2012, 03:12:20 PM »
Car Sales. The demand never subsides, and if you know what you're doing you can easily make $60-$80K. If you quit or get fired you're working at the next dealership the next day, or the next hour if you like. And you don't have to tell people you're a nurse.

she is selling the fuck out of cars

MikMaq

« Reply #53 on: August 18, 2012, 03:13:23 PM »
Pharmaceutical and Energy based.
IT used to be considered that until all the big companies started shipping those jobs to India, however they have been migrating back due to the fact that ppl hate talking to Indians.
Meh it depends on  what you consider an IT job, it can be a pretty  broad set of jobs.

Anyhow this concept of recession is questionable. Most people are listing government jobs. nurse, cop, etc as recession proof, odds are with massive governments cuts just around the corner this is all at risk.

My cousin has been waiting for a job with corrections or something for 18 months because there is a government hiring freeze in southern canada, despite being a top graduate hiring choice..

Natural Man

• Getbig V
« Reply #54 on: August 18, 2012, 03:30:17 PM »
Meh it depends on  what you consider an IT job, it can be a pretty  broad set of jobs.

Anyhow this concept of recession is questionable. Most people are listing government jobs. nurse, cop, etc as recession proof, odds are with massive governments cuts just around the corner this is all at risk.

My cousin has been waiting for a job with corrections or something for 18 months because there is a government hiring freeze in southern canada, despite being a top graduate hiring choice..
exactly, basically all...office jobs. Wether it s in public, government job or private businesses.

Psychopath

• Getbig IV
  • TEAM DIME PIECE TRANNY
« Reply #55 on: August 18, 2012, 04:17:43 PM »
Drugs, and prostitution are nuclear fallout proof.

...Word. 

outby43

• Getbig IV
  • Libertarians 2016
« Reply #56 on: August 18, 2012, 04:17:55 PM »

Uhhh  YES.  You mean to tell me if I worked for a company that is still using NT 4 network because that is what works for them,  then I should have no problem getting a job elsewhere?  You are delusional if you think that.  There is a reason our certifications retire.  New technology has to be learned if you want to keep up in the field.  It never ends for the ambitious IT people.  Luckily I am not that ambitious anymore so I'll probably be screwed if I lose my job.

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #57 on: August 18, 2012, 04:43:48 PM »
I'd rather be a fat falcon fuck than a little bitch. :)
A

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
  • Ron crowned me King because I always deliver.
« Reply #58 on: August 18, 2012, 04:57:43 PM »
The one I know is making into 6 figures and driving 80 miles each way.
Your boyfriend?

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
  • Ron crowned me King because I always deliver.
« Reply #59 on: August 18, 2012, 05:00:12 PM »
Liquor store owner
You are on to something.

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #60 on: August 18, 2012, 05:07:01 PM »
property manager= paint some walls, do some plumbing occaisionly , rarely any electrical, a little tinkering with the a/c unit and heat, fix some floors with plywood and screws throw on sheet vinyl, go to court when they dont pay, collect rent 600 a month for a 40,000 house you buy on forecloser

is get rich slow at first until you buy another one and another one then you got multiple rents coming in a month if you do up the house right they might stay in 1-5 years or more
A

OneMoreRep

• Getbig V
« Reply #61 on: August 18, 2012, 05:07:54 PM »
Getbig poster

"1"

99 Bananas

• Getbig IV
« Reply #62 on: August 18, 2012, 11:58:54 PM »

Boom!

the trainer

« Reply #63 on: August 19, 2012, 10:36:36 AM »
Gay 4 pay is recession proof.

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #64 on: August 19, 2012, 11:19:08 AM »
Any type of drug involvement, medical field, prison guards....

what about garbage men???

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #65 on: August 19, 2012, 11:29:17 AM »
You say that like it's a bad thing. If it works for Mitt why can't the little people do it?

Stop drinking the cool aid and think for yourself. His tax return was completely legal unlike Obama appointed Secretary of the Treasury who didn't pay social security taxes for years. There isn't one democrat that can say he did anything illegal on the tax returns. I would like to see Obama's tax return when he bought that 4 million dollar house while he was a community organizer right out of law school. Guess what? He won't release them.

All I know is many tax cheats in the middle class love to have American Flags and support the military stickers on their work trucks when they claim they make 25K when they are making 100K. That is illegal in anyone's book.

I also believe in a flat tax with no deductions. Everyone who make pay check should pay the same percentage. It will never happen because the rich and poor alike will protest when taxes will actually go down for the middle class.

Croatian

• Getbig II
« Reply #66 on: August 19, 2012, 04:58:34 PM »
IFBB pro. Always schmoes in need.

;D & live with 4-5 other pros (room mates) on Venice Beach.

Croatian

• Getbig II
« Reply #67 on: August 19, 2012, 05:05:38 PM »
Harley-Davidson's Mechanic  :D.

wild willie

• Getbig V
« Reply #68 on: August 19, 2012, 08:27:48 PM »
Mortician

orion

• Getbig IV
« Reply #69 on: August 20, 2012, 08:32:49 PM »
Stop drinking the cool aid and think for yourself. His tax return was completely legal unlike Obama appointed Secretary of the Treasury who didn't pay social security taxes for years. There isn't one democrat that can say he did anything illegal on the tax returns. I would like to see Obama's tax return when he bought that 4 million dollar house while he was a community organizer right out of law school. Guess what? He won't release them.

All I know is many tax cheats in the middle class love to have American Flags and support the military stickers on their work trucks when they claim they make 25K when they are making 100K. That is illegal in anyone's book.

I also believe in a flat tax with no deductions. Everyone who make pay check should pay the same percentage. It will never happen because the rich and poor alike will protest when taxes will actually go down for the middle class.

So you think a guy like Mitt built his fortune by playing by the rules? Well, okay whatever helps you sleep at night.  Take a close look at the Lehman case,  illegal accounting practices, moving money back and forth between international banks to overvalue the company and defraud investors and the CEO goes before congress and swears  he knew nothing about it.  And nobody is going to jail or even being prosecuted.  And you know what, this sort of thing is way more common than the guy on the street ever knows.  And fat cat Mitt wants to  relax the rules to make it easier to do things like this, Why?  Because he is one of them.  
If Mitt is the kind of guy you want running your country then have at it.  I'm not American, I just find your politics  interesting.  I always question the motives of a man who has great wealth and still hungers for power.  I can say for a fact that it is not to improve the lot of the less fortunate.  Being head of state is not the same thing as running a corporation.

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #70 on: August 21, 2012, 05:53:25 AM »
Mortician

People are just dying for your services.

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #71 on: August 21, 2012, 06:04:54 AM »
Medical field.

Even that has its drawbacks.
Several hospitals near me have closed down in the last several years. Obviously, the remaining facilities could not absorb everybody, which meant a lot of medical personnel were without jobs for a while.

Currently, they have completed building of a new hospital in the surrounding area with another on the way. Even so, the medical field is over-saturated here, and it's very tough to find a job; especially for a new grad.

Big N

• Getbig V
  • Veteran Fella
« Reply #72 on: August 26, 2012, 07:55:47 PM »
A lot of solid information in here. I have a question. If an employer that you're seeking employment with ask you which training would you like to have for free out of Java, DotNet, PHP, SQL, and Ba/Qa - which would you choose? And why, pick only one.
#

ChristopherA

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #73 on: August 26, 2012, 09:29:25 PM »
Harley-Davidson's Mechanic  :D.
Haha yes! Harley's are shit motorcycles

Natural Man

• Getbig V
« Reply #74 on: August 26, 2012, 10:26:39 PM »