Author Topic: 2012 Mr Olympia - Branch Warren & Johnnie Jackson Legs Workout  (Read 22158 times)

viking1

• Getbig V
Re: 2012 Mr Olympia - Branch Warren & Johnnie Jackson Legs Workout
« Reply #50 on: August 19, 2012, 04:38:19 PM »

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #51 on: August 20, 2012, 10:21:25 AM »
We have a lot of those half rep/quarter rep leg presses going on in our gym, it's an epidemic I tell you.

But, dollars to donuts, nobody in your gym has quads that match those of Branch Warren (or even of Johnnie Jackson).

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #52 on: August 20, 2012, 10:23:14 AM »
Id take Kai most any day over phil, even a Kai that is slightly off. Besides his arms, Philsulina looks like a NPC competitor. Nothing stands out about his physique. No awe factor.

He was an NPC competitor. Of course, he won the USA on his first try.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #53 on: August 20, 2012, 10:26:37 AM »
i stated johnnie is stronger at deads..
and thats it....
bench
incline
shoulder press
squats branch
when they trian arms branch

pwned.. johnie isnt even top 10 strongest IMO

There are no contests for inclines, shoulder presses or arms. Branch, to my knowledge, has NOT entered any powerlifting contests. Johnnie has done so and has several wins to prove it.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #54 on: August 20, 2012, 10:30:09 AM »
stan efferding already beat johnnie in the strongest bodybuilder competition.. Dont know why johnnie still claims to be the storngest.  And ya branch is stronger , prob in everything.

Perhaps, it's because Johnnie is better overall. He has the lifts AND the bodybuilding titles to match.

Johnnie won the Nationals to turn pro; Efferding won the Masters Nationals.

Johnnie has three pro wins under his belt; Efferding has placed no higher than 9th in any pro show he's entered.

Johnnie has placed top 10 at the Olympia; Efferding has never even qualified for the Olympia.

So, I'd give the nod the Johnnie Jackson, as he does well in BOTH powerlifting and bodybuilding.

Fortress

• Getbig V
« Reply #55 on: August 20, 2012, 10:32:24 AM »
Perhaps, it's because Johnnie is better overall. He has the lifts AND the bodybuilding titles to match.

Johnnie won the Nationals to turn pro; Efferding won the Masters Nationals.

Johnnie has three pro wins under his belt; Efferding has placed no higher than 9th in any pro show he's entered.

Johnnie has placed top 10 at the Olympia; Efferding has never even qualified for the Olympia.

So, I'd give the nod the Johnnie Jackson, as he does well in BOTH powerlifting and bodybuilding.

Say what you will, but Johnnie is NOT the strongest. Fact. Whether Stan has done well as a pro is not the point. He is a pro and is stronger.

supernick

• Getbig IV
« Reply #56 on: August 20, 2012, 10:59:01 AM »
branch cant out squat johnnie easily, and by watching the vids he can press more too. id be willing to bet he could deadlift more if he wanted to, but he doesnt

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #57 on: August 20, 2012, 11:00:35 AM »
Say what you will, but Johnnie is NOT the strongest. Fact. Whether Stan has done well as a pro is not the point. He is a pro and is stronger.

Ken Jones is a pro, too.

So is Greg Kovacs.

When you're talking about the World's Strongest Bodybuilder, that would imply the best OVERALL in both strength and bodybuilding. Johnnie wins that easily. He's a successful powerlifter AND a successful pro bodybuilder. The same cannot be said for Efferding.

Otherwise, someone could just diet down Mark Henry, help him win the Masters Nationals, and then HE becomes the "World's Strongest Bodybuilder".

Fortress

• Getbig V
« Reply #58 on: August 20, 2012, 11:10:02 AM »
Ken Jones is a pro, too.

So is Greg Kovacs.

When you're talking about the World's Strongest Bodybuilder, that would imply the best OVERALL in both strength and bodybuilding. Johnnie wins that easily. He's a successful powerlifter AND a successful pro bodybuilder. The same cannot be said for Efferding.

Otherwise, someone could just diet down Mark Henry, help him win the Masters Nationals, and then HE becomes the "World's Strongest Bodybuilder".

We're talking about his claims to being the strongest PRO bodybuilder.

The two highlighted sections of your post say it all.

The first: wrong, such a discussion DOES NOT "imply" the best overall in strength and bodybuilding. It is very explicit: the STRONGEST, period.

The second: So foolish I won't even comment.

musclecenter

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Mr.Taiwan
« Reply #59 on: August 20, 2012, 11:36:43 AM »

Nails

• Getbig V
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jsi5VTzJpPw
« Reply #60 on: August 20, 2012, 11:40:37 AM »
225lb squats .....

"light weight!!!!!!!" .........  ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

Nails

• Getbig V
« Reply #61 on: August 20, 2012, 11:43:17 AM »
 WTF was that shit at the end  ??? ??? ??? Lunges  :-\ :-\ :-\

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #62 on: August 20, 2012, 11:54:25 AM »
We're talking about his claims to being the strongest PRO bodybuilder.

The two highlighted sections of your post say it all.

The first: wrong, such a discussion DOES NOT "imply" the best overall in strength and bodybuilding. It is very explicit: the STRONGEST, period.

The second: So foolish I won't even comment.

By your standards, it's not foolish at all. If Mark Henry has better lifts than Stan Efferding, all you have to do is diet Henry down to win the same Masters Nationals that Efferding won to turn pro, and VOILA!!!! Mark Henry's the "World's Strongest Bodybuilder".

So, we have a guy who won the NPC Nationals, the top amateur show in the USA, to turn pro; has won three IFBB pro shows; and has placed top-10 at the Olympia....who also is an accomplished powerlifters with multiple wins in that arena.

On the other hand, we have a guy who won the Masters Nationals and has placed no higher than 9th in any pro show he's entered and has come nowhere near the Olympia stage. Yet, he does have more powerlifting wins, some with higher numbers than those of Jackson.

But, if we're talking the world's strongest bodybuilder overall, I stand by my claim with Jackson. He excels at BOTH, powerlifting and bodybuilding. Efferding has better powerlifting numbers but can't touch Johnnie on the bodybuilding stage.

The gap between the two in bodybuilding is greater than that within powerlifting. And the name of the game is the World's Strongest BODYBUILDER.

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #63 on: August 20, 2012, 12:10:41 PM »

When they say all drugs, they aren't kidding.  Some guys despite all of the drugs still need to workout hard, but man, most of these IFBB pros work out like shit and are fucking huge despite it.  Drug response is everything I guess.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #64 on: August 20, 2012, 12:12:58 PM »
When they say all drugs, they aren't kidding.  Some guys despite all of the drugs still need to workout hard, but man, most of these IFBB pros work out like shit and are fucking huge despite it.  Drug response is everything I guess.

And how is this any different than the partial shoulder presses that Lou Ferrigno does in Pumping Iron?

I supposed he was "all drugs", too.

Fortress

• Getbig V
« Reply #65 on: August 20, 2012, 12:28:21 PM »
By your standards, it's not foolish at all. If Mark Henry has better lifts than Stan Efferding, all you have to do is diet Henry down to win the same Masters Nationals that Efferding won to turn pro, and VOILA!!!! Mark Henry's the "World's Strongest Bodybuilder".

So, we have a guy who won the NPC Nationals, the top amateur show in the USA, to turn pro; has won three IFBB pro shows; and has placed top-10 at the Olympia....who also is an accomplished powerlifters with multiple wins in that arena.

On the other hand, we have a guy who won the Masters Nationals and has placed no higher than 9th in any pro show he's entered and has come nowhere near the Olympia stage. Yet, he does have more powerlifting wins, some with higher numbers than those of Jackson.

But, if we're talking the world's strongest bodybuilder overall, I stand by my claim with Jackson. He excels at BOTH, powerlifting and bodybuilding. Efferding has better powerlifting numbers but can't touch Johnnie on the bodybuilding stage.

The gap between the two in bodybuilding is greater than that within powerlifting. And the name of the game is the World's Strongest BODYBUILDER.

Fuck ME.

Mark Henry dieted down wouldn't win shit. By your logic, anyone who lifts weights could diet down and win a pro qualifier. Fuck sakes. Now, if Mark dieted down and did win a pro qualifier ... perhaps he could be considered the strongest pro. His numbers at that point would tell the tale.

Again, I have highlighted a particularly exposing statement by you that shines a light on your inability to fully grasp what we're discussing here.

Stan's a pro bodybuilder. Whether Johnnie's won more bodybuilding events makes zero difference to the outcome of a factual discussion concerning the strongest pro bodybuilder. Better physique ... worse physique ... both men are pro bodybuilders (a certain achievement, unarguably) and Stan is stronger.

Who is the overall better bodybuilder with a powerlifting meet to his name isn't the discussion. It's WHO IS THE STRONGEST PRO BODYBUILDER. AGAIN, Stan is a pro, just like Johnnie, and he's stronger.

Let get it together here, man. I don't figure you're retarded, so don't argue with a logic that is fitting for one who is.   

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #66 on: August 20, 2012, 12:34:51 PM »
And how is this any different than the partial shoulder presses that Lou Ferrigno does in Pumping Iron?

Lou didn't do every single movement with partials or sloppy form. You're cherry picking one clip of Lou doing partials. Every bodybuilder does partials at one time or another. The problem is that branch does partials or horrible form EVERY single movement.
X

Nails

• Getbig V
« Reply #67 on: August 20, 2012, 12:37:48 PM »

i wouldnt concider standing barbell presses with 250lbs past your head partial , and he was also using a narrow grip

orion

• Getbig IV
« Reply #68 on: August 20, 2012, 12:39:06 PM »

But, dollars to donuts, nobody in your gym has quads that match those of Branch Warren (or even of Johnnie Jackson).

Yes, we have no Mr O competitors in my gym, but I'm pretty sure Branch built his legs on full reps.  I can only think that he is still nursing his leg injury and can't do full reps.  We've all been there, but surely you are not suggesting that 1/2 reps are the way to great quads?  And I don't get this thing of piling on all the plates on the leg press to move it a few inches.  With all the extra weight all you are doing is putting extra stress on the knee and hips, ( and yes I know about the study that says the leg press needs double the weight of the squat to get the same effect)  Save your joints and lessen the weight and let the weight down as low as it will go.  It has to be an ego thing.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #69 on: August 20, 2012, 12:46:16 PM »
Fuck ME.

No, thanks!! I'm hetero and married.  ;D

Mark Henry dieted down wouldn't win shit. By your logic, anyone who lifts weights could diet down and win a pro qualifier. Fuck sakes. Now, if Mark dieted down and did win a pro qualifier ... perhaps he could be considered the strongest pro. His numbers at that point would tell the tale.

Again, I have highlighted a particularly exposing statement by you that shines a light on your inability to fully grasp what we're discussing here.

I grasp what's being discussed quite well. I never claimed anyone who lifted weights could diet down and turn pro. With that said, we've seen a rash of folks who get clobbered at the Nationals and USA on a regular basis get their pro cards via the Masters Nationals.

The point I made with Mark Henry (no I don't think there's a pro physique, buried under his blubber) is that all you have to do is get some well-known powerlifter with a halfway decent physique, get him to the IFBB pro level, and (if his numbers exceed those of Efferding), he's the world's strongest bodybuilders.

Stan's a pro bodybuilder. Whether Johnnie's won more bodybuilding events makes zero difference to the outcome of a factual discussion concerning the strongest pro bodybuilder. Better physique ... worse physique ... both men are pro bodybuilders (a certain achievement, unarguably) and Stan is stronger.

Who is the overall better bodybuilder with a powerlifting meet to his name isn't the discussion. It's WHO IS THE STRONGEST PRO BODYBUILDER. AGAIN, Stan is a pro, just like Johnnie, and he's stronger.

Let get it together here, man. I don't figure you're retarded, so don't argue with a logic that is fitting for one who is.   

Don't powerlifters win meets by having the best OVERALL SCORE, not just dominating in one particular category?

That's my point and rationale for giving Jackson the nod over Efferding. He has the better COMBO of strength and physique. Stan is stronger but he's get blown offstage when he competes as a bodybuilder.

When you add the qualifier of bodybuilder into the mix, I'm picking a guy who won the Nationals, three pro shows, and placed top 10 at the Olympia all day over a guy who hasn't placed higher than 9th at any pro show (and became a pro via the Masters Nationals).

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #70 on: August 20, 2012, 12:51:50 PM »
Yes, we have no Mr O competitors in my gym, but I'm pretty sure Branch built his legs on full reps.  I can only think that he is still nursing his leg injury and can't do full reps.  We've all been there, but surely you are not suggesting that 1/2 reps are the way to great quads?  And I don't get this thing of piling on all the plates on the leg press to move it a few inches.  With all the extra weight all you are doing is putting extra stress on the knee and hips, ( and yes I know about the study that says the leg press needs double the weight of the squat to get the same effect)  Save your joints and lessen the weight and let the weight down as low as it will go.  It has to be an ego thing.

No, I am not, just as you are not suggesting that Branch and Johnnie train this way, year round, and have done so from the get-go.

Branch has great quads. Surely, he's paid his dues in the gyms. Johnnie's quads are decent; but he's paid his dues as well both in bodybuilding and powerlifting.

I understand how people can be a bit shocked. I felt similarly when I saw some of the footage from Pumping Iron, as I posted with Lou Ferrigno.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #71 on: August 20, 2012, 12:57:58 PM »
Lou didn't do every single movement with partials or sloppy form. You're cherry picking one clip of Lou doing partials. Every bodybuilder does partials at one time or another. The problem is that branch does partials or horrible form EVERY single movement.
X

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #72 on: August 20, 2012, 01:04:19 PM »

One, that's not the only clip in which Lou does that (check him out on the incline bench, with his dad spotting him).

Two, how exactly is what Branch does a "problem" when he has some of the biggest legs in the business (even AFTER his blown knee)?

Three, That's my point! Brach doesn't do every single movement like that either.

You're getting on me for supposedly cherry-picking a clip of Lou, implying that he does that all the time with every single movement. Yet, you turn right around and imply that Branch does the very same thing. That makes no sense, especially with pics here of Branch on the leg press, with his knees almost up his nose.

Branch does partials.......ALL DRUGS!!

Lou does partials........HE'S JUST SO MUCH TOUGHER, HARDCORE, and TRAINED HARDER. ???

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #73 on: August 20, 2012, 01:29:29 PM »
One, that's not the only clip in which Lou does that (check him out on the incline bench, with his dad spotting him).

Two, how exactly is what Branch does a "problem" when he has some of the biggest legs in the business (even AFTER his blown knee)?

Three, That's my point! Brach doesn't do every single movement like that either.

You're getting on me for supposedly cherry-picking a clip of Lou, implying that he does that all the time with every single movement. Yet, you turn right around and imply that Branch does the very same thing. That makes no sense, especially with pics here of Branch on the leg press, with his knees almost up his nose.

Branch does partials.......ALL DRUGS!!

Lou does partials........HE'S JUST SO MUCH TOUGHER, HARDCORE, and TRAINED HARDER. ???

Like I said, all bodybuilders incorporate partials into their routine. Even beyond partials, is Branch's sloppy technique. You don't need to cherry pick a clip of branch to find him using sloppy form. Its predominantly how he works out. Lou and guys in the 70's had much better technique than the guys today. Branch has big legs because of his genetic response to drugs. Take away the drugs, and he probably has the leg size of a 170 pound guy. Given his horrible form, its less about his workouts that made him big nad more about the drugs and response.
X

mesmorph78

• Getbig V
  • there can only be one...
« Reply #74 on: August 20, 2012, 02:27:14 PM »
There are no contests for inclines, shoulder presses or arms. Branch, to my knowledge, has NOT entered any powerlifting contests. Johnnie has done so and has several wins to prove it.

Overall branch is significantly stronger.....
stronger on everything aside from deads.....
even johnnie admitted branch is stronger on all pushing movements.....
every time they train together... branch just outdoes him period
and there are contests for shoulder presses .... see world strongest man .. also contests for curl...
fact jonnie overall stronger
even evan.... and a lot more... johnnie seemed to have given himself that world strongest title

Pwned branch 15 - 20 reps... jonnie couldnt get one clean

choice is an illusion