Author Topic: FOX: CU professor calls “BS” on Romney’s 13 percent tax rate claim  (Read 3512 times)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
CU professor calls “BS” on Romney’s 13 percent tax rate claim

Source: Fox Denver

“What Romney’s saying is technically true, but it’s misleading,” Victor Fleischer told FOX31 Denver. “The reason it’s misleading is because it’s 13 percent of what?

“Of his taxable income, that may be true. But you can have a lot of economic income that isn’t taxable and Romney has shown himself to be quite sophisticated in keeping his taxable income low even as his economic income remains high.

“He’s got interests in a lot of different investment stocks, and he can basically choose when he wants to recognize income from those funds. So he can use capital losses to offset capital gains and keep his taxable income low.”

“When you have a wide portfolio of investments, you can have a good year, but still not have a lot of taxable income, as long as you sell some losers as well as some winners,” Fleischer explained to FOX31 Denver. “That appears to be what Romney did in 2009, paid tax on whatever income he had, but it doesn’t mean he paid a lot.”

Read more: http://kdvr.com/2012/08/16/romney-on-taxes-ive-paid-at-least-13-percent/

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think this may explain why the Obama campaign has dared the Romney campaign to just produce three more years of returns even though five years of return is still far below the norm for a Presidential candidate. Romney may say he paid a 13 percent tax rate, but he is not saying that is his effective tax rate. Also, if he claimed a lot of losses, he might only be paying a tax rate on a nominal amount of reported income, thus rendering his effective tax rate close to zero.

The interesting thing about this story is that it appears on a Fox affiliate station in Colorado.

howardroark

• Getbig IV
  • Resident Objectivist & Autodidact
If you're going to start throwing around terms like "effective tax rate" - then do truth a courtesy and include the 35% corporate tax rate that profits are taxed at before they reach the investor.

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
I don't understand the fuss about this?

Romney probably pays 1000X more $$$ to the government each year than your average citizen.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.

Romney probably pays 1000X more $$$ to the government each year than your average citizen.

180 is trying to avoid discussing the economy, same w the rest of the obamabots.

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
Haha, thread #500 about this topic. Meanwhile, over the last month there have been maybe 3-4 posts from these same people on the economy.

How many fucking threads on this topic do we know? If 333 has his stuff merged into one thread then all this tax stuff should be, too.

tonymctones

• Getbig V

actually since the average citizen pays nothing romney pays infintely more in taxes then the average citizen.

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
actually since the average citizen pays nothing romney pays infintely more in taxes then the average citizen.

Yet it's wrong for him to try and save a little bit of HIS money legally?

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana

you're probably an average citizen so I guess you must pay nothing either

tonymctones

• Getbig V

to many on the left for some reason yea its a horrible thing for someone to try and keep more of their hard earned money, yes

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
 :)

I'm sure every liberal tells their cpa to make the return out so they pay the most possible.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
Re: FOX: CU professor calls “BS” on Romney’s 13 percent tax rate claim
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2012, 09:23:25 AM »
you're probably an average citizen so I guess you must pay nothing either
what does it matter one way or the other?

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2012, 09:24:43 AM »
what does it matter one way or the other?

you tell me, you're the one that brought it up

Fury

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2012, 09:25:40 AM »
:)

I'm sure every liberal tells their cpa to make the return out so they pay the most possible.

I think you're right. That's why John Kerry parked his yacht in Rhode Island.  ::)

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2012, 09:32:00 AM »
I think you're right. That's why John Kerry parked his yacht in Rhode Island.  ::)

and if I recall nobody in the media and certainly nobody on the right criticized him for that.

At least I know that the people who support Romney not releasing his tax returns surely have no problem with Kerry doing that.   

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2012, 09:35:50 AM »
you tell me, you're the one that brought it up
goodness gracious youre a moron, PIP said romney pays 1000x more then the average citizen.

Well the average citizen pays nothing in federal income tax, any positive number is infinitely greater then 0....THATS MATH!!!(wouldnt think you would need to explain that to a finance person)

I was simply pointing out the fact that romney pays infintely more fed taxes then the average citizen, get it now?

Fury

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2012, 09:37:47 AM »
goodness gracious youre a moron, PIP said romney pays 1000x more then the average citizen.

Well the average citizen pays nothing in federal income tax, any positive number is infinitely greater then 0....THATS MATH!!!(wouldnt think you would need to explain that to a finance person)

I was simply pointing out the fact that romney pays infintely more fed taxes then the average citizen, get it now?

Haha, he really is a stupid fuck. That "relevence" line makes a lot more sense.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2012, 09:58:08 AM »

goodness gracious and heavens to betsy you sound like an old woman

How do you know how much Romney paid in taxes

OMG you mispelled a word

don't you feel ashamed for such an egregious typing error given that you're the self appointed typo editor of this board

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2012, 10:52:35 AM »
goodness gracious and heavens to betsy you sound like an old woman

How do you know how much Romney paid in taxes

OMG you mispelled a word

don't you feel ashamed for such an egregious typing error given that you're the self appointed typo editor of this board
LOL back to the I have to prove my assertions but the left doesnt game plan eh?

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2012, 11:12:00 AM »

so what Romney pays 1000 times more than the average citizen....thats not the point..is he using illegal or tricky accounting to AVOID paying his fair share???..that the question....if everything is above board why doesn't he just release the stupid tax returns sop we can move on???..even Obama was smart enough to finally realize the birth certificate issue was hurting him and he released it

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2012, 11:13:57 AM »
LOL back to the I have to prove my assertions but the left doesnt game plan eh?

you don't have to prove anything to me

I totally believe your income is so low that you don't pay any taxes

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2012, 11:14:18 AM »
so what Romney pays 1000 times more than the average citizen....thats not the point..is he using illegal or tricky accounting to AVOID paying his fair share???..that the question....if everything is above board why doesn't he just release the stupid tax returns sop we can move on???..even Obama was smart enough to finally realize the birth certificate issue was hurting him and he released it
the birth certificate was never hurting obama you idiot, the ppl screaming about that werent going to vote for him anyway...

you dont think that if he was cheating that the IRS would have caught it?

If he is using legal ways of KEEPING AS MUCH OF HIS HARD EARNED MONEY IN HIS POCKET

whats the fucking problem then?

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2012, 11:15:15 AM »
you don't have to prove anything to me

I totally believe your income is so low that you don't pay any taxes
LOL this melting down youve been doing lately is a new side of you straw.

Kazan

• Getbig V
  • Sic vis pacem, parabellum
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2012, 11:15:43 AM »
If anything illegal was going on the IRS would be crawling up his ass with a microscope. The simple fact is the Dem's want to point and say look he only payed this % in taxes and look how much money he has. Income vs invested capital, it's simple, how else would Soro's secretary pay a higher % in taxes than he does? Income tax is a non issue and a mirage at best.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2012, 11:20:23 AM »
If anything illegal was going on the IRS would be crawling up his ass with a microscope. The simple fact is the Dem's want to point and say look he only payed this % in taxes and look how much money he has. Income vs invested capital, it's simple, how else would Soro's secretary pay a higher % in taxes than he does? Income tax is a non issue and a mirage at best.

He said he was audited and I suspect he got caught cheating

btw - It's not just Dems who are talking about his taxes.   

Shit, if anything, Repubs appear to be talking about it MORE than Dems

They want to issue to go away rather than being hung around his neck every time he gets in front of a microphone

Fury

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2012, 11:21:41 AM »

What would his fair share be, omnipotent one?