Author Topic: Republican Senate Nominee: Victims Of ‘Legitimate Rape’ Don’t Get Pregnant  (Read 7287 times)

blacken700

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Republican Senate Nominee: Victims Of ‘Legitimate Rape’ Don’t Get Pregnant

Rep. Todd Akin, the Republican nominee for Senate in Missouri who is running against Sen. Claire McCaskill, justified his opposition to abortion rights even in case of rape with a claim that victims of “legitimate rape” have unnamed biological defenses that prevent pregnancy.

“First of all, from what I understand from doctors (pregnancy from rape) is really rare,” Akin told KTVI-TV in an interview posted Sunday. “If it’s a legitimate rape, the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down.”

Akin said that even in the worst-case scenario — when the supposed natural protections against unwanted pregnancy fail — abortion should still not be a legal option for the rape victim.

“Let’s assume that maybe that didn’t work, or something,” Akin said. “I think there should be some punishment, but the punishment ought to be on the rapist and not attacking the child.”

Read more: http://2012.talkingpointsmemo.com/2012/08/todd-akin-legitimate-rape.php?ref=fpa

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Sounds like Claire McCaskill is celebrating today.

Geez, it's like Sharon Angle/Christine ODonnell all over again.  it's like repub primary voters reward stupidity.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
According to a 1996 study about 5% of rape cases result in pregnacy or about 32,000 a year (again according to a 1996 study

Can't we just round that number down to zero?

Should those rape victims have to justify all abortion under all circumstances before we allow them to have an abortion ?

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8765248

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
He is going to drop out tommorow.   Another ridiculous thing for the left to focus on as opposed to obama's failed presidency and his horrid press conference today where he made a fool of himself. 

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
He is going to drop out tommorow.   Another ridiculous thing for the left to focus on as opposed to obama's failed presidency and his horrid press conference today where he made a fool of himself. 

yeah, it's so ridiculous that the RNC and even Karl Rove is pulling all their funding from this guy

I guess they must have caved in from pressure from the left

Kind of ridiculous for the RNC not to support their guy considering how riduculous this all is

And same goes for the media to focus on this rather than Obama's report card from high school and what he had for lunch today

240 is Back

• Getbig V
According to a 1996 study about 5% of rape cases result in pregnacy or about 32,000 a year (again according to a 1996 study

Can't we just round that number down to zero?

Should those rape victims have to justify all abortion under all circumstances before we allow them to have an abortion ?

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8765248

maybe the good gentleman will suggest women offer their anal passage instead of the vagina?

Kazan

• Getbig V
  • Sic vis pacem, parabellum
And maybe if there were so many restrictions on our ability defend ourselves, the rapist would get 2 in the chest and one in the head
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
And maybe if there were so many restrictions on our ability defend ourselves, the rapist would get 2 in the chest and one in the head

many of the rape victims who because pregnant were adolescent and impregnated by an assault by a known, often related perpetrator

If they all only had guns I'm sure they could have fought off their father, uncle, brother or friend of father/uncle/ brother or boyfriend or whoever the heck it is who is raping them

Just be armed at all times the problem will pretty much take care of itself

Kazan

• Getbig V
many of the rape victims who because pregnant were adolescent and impregnated by an assault by a known, often related perpetrator

If they all only had guns I'm sure they could have fought off their father, uncle, brother or friend of father/uncle/ brother or boyfriend or whoever the heck it is who is raping them

Just be armed at all times the problem will pretty much take care of itself

Yep, Wilson Combat , don't leave home without it
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
Yep, Wilson Combat , don't leave home without it

well maybe we should start a national program to arm all female adolescents in the country

13 year olds are legally allowed to carry guns

right?

JBGRAY

• Getbig IV
Ayup, Akin is a complete idiot. I doubt(well....hope) that he doesn't really believe this and was simply pandering to the conservative base.  Meh...forget it....

Kazan

• Getbig V
well maybe we should start a national program to arm all female adolescents in the country

13 year olds are legally allowed to carry guns

right?

Dude whatever, I bought my daughter a CZ75 when she was 13. she knows how to shoot and has respect for firearms.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana

Story on CNN says he is not dropping out

Let's hope he stays in so that it forces all Repubs to address the issue all the way up to the election

Kazan

• Getbig V

Let's hope he stays in so that it forces all Repubs to address the issue all the way up to the election

More distraction, yes lets focus on this and not the economy or any of that unimportant stuff
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

240 is Back

• Getbig V

just like scoot brown was #41 for repubs...

watch and see... this clown will cost repubs the senate.  what a selfish dude.  you think they'd work out some kinda deal... he gets a secret deal for 10 years at $400k a year to sit at a desk as a 'consultant'... in exchange for getting out of the race and letting the female candidate destry claire mck and making that issue a non-issue.

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage

Are you scared to talk about the economy?

Don't bother answering as this post clearly tells us that you are.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
Are you scared to talk about the economy?

Don't bother answering as this post clearly tells us that you are.

brilliant analyis as always

this story is happening RIGHT NOW and a Repub Senator in a KEY STATE is fighting his own party who is trying to make him walk the plank

That's about as timely and apposite as it gets

I talk about the economy all the time but you're probably too busy looking for typos to actually notice

I know finding typos makes you a giddy little school girl so I put one (maybe more) in this post just for you

see if you can find it

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
Does anyone here support this guy?

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Does anyone here support this guy?

no.   He needs to step down ASAP.

240 is Back

• Getbig V

no.   He needs to step down ASAP.

He went on hannity tonight to say he's staying it.  Hannity is right - this dude is going to be poison for other races too - Ryan is connected at the hip to this nutjob with an abortion bill... team romney must be panicked.

Todd Akin, in an interview with Sean Hannity on his radio show that's still going on, said despite some media reports, he is not actually leaving the Missouri race.

"I was told that there is a decision has to be made by 5 o'clock tomororw but I was calling you and letting you know that I'm announcing today that we're (staying) in," Akin told Hannity.

Asked if he'd thought about the consequences of staying in, the congressman said he has.

"I certainly have, and I've just run a very tough primary race in the state of Missouri," he said, "I stuck to basically our conservative principles ... when people make a mistake and they are honest about it and say it was a mistake, I (think) they move on."

"I still believe I'm in the strongest position to (win)," he said.

Hannity, for his part, did not urge Akin on. At various points, he told Akin he thought this was going to be very difficult for him to get past, and suggested it was going to be creating a potential problem for not just his own race, but other people's races as well.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
His interview w Sean Vanity was a wreck.    He is a ticking timb bomb snd delusional greedy fuck.    he needs to go.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
You have to assume Sen CLaire will have a much better chance of winning - one seat that could give the senate to the repubs.

And now, anyone that has been connected to this dbag is going to be smeared for it.  Everyone who signed or worse, ryan co-authoring the bill...

THis is a mini-disaster for repubs, and a drum the dems can keep on pounding until election day.  It was REPUBS who made abortion this super huge issue with the 40+ abortion bills they passed just for theater in this congress.

33, I still predict this guy "finds" a pallet of money tonight and announces quietly in the morning that he's leaving the race.  If I"m Romney, i'm presonally accidentally leaving a million bucks in this dude's couch just to GTFO of the race.

If he had said this 2 weeks ago - Ryan would NOT have been selected.  Guarantee it. 

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
Ryan is equally a scumbag for co-authoring such a bill that legitimizes rape.  Not that he wasn`t a scumbag before though.  :D

240 is Back

• Getbig V
REDEFINED RAPE

Fuck.  Now I understand what's so bad about this guy.  This bill sucks - and I stay out of the abortion issue.  This is about rape - and WOW Ryan co-authored it!

Earlier today, Missouri U.S. Senate candidate Rep. Todd Akin (R-MO) claimed that “legitimate rape” does not often lead to pregnancy because “the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down.” This is not the first time the biologically challenged senate candidate tried to minimize the impact of rape. Last year, Akin joined with GOP vice presidential candidate Rep. Paul Ryan (R-WI) as two of the original co-sponsors of the “No Taxpayer Funding for Abortion Act,” a bill which, among other things, introduced the country to the bizarre term “forcible rape.”

Federal law prevents federal Medicaid funds and similar programs from paying for abortions. Yet the law also contains an exception for women who are raped. The bill Akin and Ryan cosponsored would have narrowed this exception, providing that only pregnancies arising from “forcible rape” may be terminated. Because the primary target of Akin and Ryan’s effort are Medicaid recipients — patients who are unlikely to be able to afford an abortion absent Medicaid funding — the likely impact of this bill would have been forcing many rape survivors to carry their rapist’s baby to term. Michelle Goldberg explains who Akin and Ryan would likely target:

Under H.R. 3, only victims of “forcible rape” would qualify for federally funded abortions. Victims of statutory rape—say, a 13-year-old girl impregnated by a 30-year-old man—would be on their own. So would victims of incest if they’re over 18. And while “forcible rape” isn’t defined in the criminal code, the addition of the adjective seems certain to exclude acts of rape that don’t involve overt violence—say, cases where a woman is drugged or has a limited mental capacity. “It’s basically putting more restrictions on what was defined historically as rape,” says Keenan.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
Akin bails on Piers Morgan's show tonight!

Todd Akin's bad week keeps getting worse.

The six-term Missouri GOP congressman, a candidate for U.S. Senate, apparently bailed on a planned interview with CNN's Piers Morgan, leaving the host to berate him as a "gutless little twerp" Monday evening.

Staring at the empty chair, a nonplussed Morgan issued this challenge to Akin: "Congressman, you have an open invitation to join me in that chair whenever you feel up to it, because if you don't keep your promise to be on the show, then you are what we would call in Britain a gutless little twerp."