Author Topic: Box Office Report: Anti-Obama Doc Drawing Big Crowds, Even in New York City  (Read 2419 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
I usually don't watch these kinds of movies, but I might actually check this on out. 

Box Office Report: Anti-Obama Doc Drawing Big Crowds, Even in New York City
8/21/2012 by Pamela McClintock

Already the No. 2-grossing non-nature documentary of the year, "2016: Obama's America" expands nationwide this weekend.

An anti-Barack Obama documentary based on conservative author Dinesh D’Souza’s book The Roots of Obama’s Rage will expand nationwide this weekend after doing notable business in select markets across the country -- including in liberal-minded New York City.

Overall 2016: Obama's America grossed an impressive $1.2 million last weekend as it upped its theater count from 61 to 169 for a total gross of $2 million, the second-best showing of the year for a documentary after Bully ($3.2 million). That doesn't include nature documentaries Chimpanzee ($29 million) and To the Arctic ($7.6 million).

It's already the No. 12 political documentary of all time -- a market that Michael Moore has cornered -- as well as the No. 2 conservative documentary after Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed ($7.7 million).

On Friday, Obama's America, co-directed by D'Souza and John Sullivan, will be playing in 1,075 theaters in an aggressive expansion that comes on the eve of the Republican National Convention in Tampa, Fla., which gets underway Aug. 27.

Obama's America, distributed by Rocky Mountain Pictures, first began rolling out in mid-July and has been adding theaters slowly. On Aug. 10, it opened in a number of markets, including New York and Los Angeles (including the conservative Simi Valley).

Some in Hollywood were stumped by the amount of business the documentary did at the Regal Union Square Stadium 14 in Lower Manhattan, situated in a liberal neighborhood where films from the likes of Moore have done huge business.

Obama's America was the No. 3 film of the weekend behind The Dark Knight Rises and Total Recall at Union Square, prompting at least one film executive to joke that people must have thought it was a pro-Obama documentary (New York is the No. 1 city when it comes to the amount of giving to the Obama campaign).

Moreover, Union Square turned in the second-best gross of any theater in the country after a multiplex in Simi Valley.

Last weekend, Obama's America fell only 40 percent at the Union Square theater.

ANALYSIS: Hollywood Had a Hand in Obama's Evolution on Marriage Equality

Obama's America intends to show how the country's future will look if President Obama is elected to a second term in the White House and includes an interview with the president's half brother, George Obama.

"I think the reason why the film is doing so well is threefold: We've expanded into good markets, we've been advertising nationally for two weeks on talk radio and television news channels including Fox News Channel, A&E, History and MSNBC," Sullivan told The Hollywood Reporter.

Obama's America also is doing big business in cities including Sacramento, Dallas, San Antonio, Las Vegas, Honolulu, Greenville, N.C., and Tampa, Fla.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/box-office-anti-obama-documentary-president-election-364479

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
I usually don't watch these kinds of movies, but I might actually check this on out. 

Box Office Report: Anti-Obama Doc Drawing Big Crowds, Even in New York City
8/21/2012 by Pamela McClintock

Already the No. 2-grossing non-nature documentary of the year, "2016: Obama's America" expands nationwide this weekend.

An anti-Barack Obama documentary based on conservative author Dinesh D’Souza’s book The Roots of Obama’s Rage will expand nationwide this weekend after doing notable business in select markets across the country -- including in liberal-minded New York City.

Overall 2016: Obama's America grossed an impressive $1.2 million last weekend as it upped its theater count from 61 to 169 for a total gross of $2 million, the second-best showing of the year for a documentary after Bully ($3.2 million). That doesn't include nature documentaries Chimpanzee ($29 million) and To the Arctic ($7.6 million).

It's already the No. 12 political documentary of all time -- a market that Michael Moore has cornered -- as well as the No. 2 conservative documentary after Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed ($7.7 million).

On Friday, Obama's America, co-directed by D'Souza and John Sullivan, will be playing in 1,075 theaters in an aggressive expansion that comes on the eve of the Republican National Convention in Tampa, Fla., which gets underway Aug. 27.

Obama's America, distributed by Rocky Mountain Pictures, first began rolling out in mid-July and has been adding theaters slowly. On Aug. 10, it opened in a number of markets, including New York and Los Angeles (including the conservative Simi Valley).

Some in Hollywood were stumped by the amount of business the documentary did at the Regal Union Square Stadium 14 in Lower Manhattan, situated in a liberal neighborhood where films from the likes of Moore have done huge business.

Obama's America was the No. 3 film of the weekend behind The Dark Knight Rises and Total Recall at Union Square, prompting at least one film executive to joke that people must have thought it was a pro-Obama documentary (New York is the No. 1 city when it comes to the amount of giving to the Obama campaign).

Moreover, Union Square turned in the second-best gross of any theater in the country after a multiplex in Simi Valley.

Last weekend, Obama's America fell only 40 percent at the Union Square theater.

ANALYSIS: Hollywood Had a Hand in Obama's Evolution on Marriage Equality

Obama's America intends to show how the country's future will look if President Obama is elected to a second term in the White House and includes an interview with the president's half brother, George Obama.

"I think the reason why the film is doing so well is threefold: We've expanded into good markets, we've been advertising nationally for two weeks on talk radio and television news channels including Fox News Channel, A&E, History and MSNBC," Sullivan told The Hollywood Reporter.

Obama's America also is doing big business in cities including Sacramento, Dallas, San Antonio, Las Vegas, Honolulu, Greenville, N.C., and Tampa, Fla.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/box-office-anti-obama-documentary-president-election-364479

That movie has been out for a few months and it hasn't even broke even....not only that, its been blacklisted by the top movie ticket sites......with it should be because people don't want to sit to watch a 2 hour GOP commercial
A

Dos Equis

• Getbig V

That movie has been out for a few months and it hasn't even broke even....not only that, its been blacklisted by the top movie ticket sites......with it should be because people don't want to sit to watch a 2 hour GOP commercial

???

The movie was released one month ago in one theater and made $31k.  http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2247692/business

Since then, it has been expanding all over the country and made $1.2 million last weekend, per the article. 

It's blacklisted so much that on Friday it "will be playing in 1,075 theaters," per the article. 

I read a number of the moviegoer reviews.  It's not a hit piece.  It's a documentary that is apparently very well done. 

But don't let the facts get in the way . . . . 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
I'm going to try to go this weekend. 

FUBO you anti-american pofs!

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
???

The movie was released one month ago in one theater and made $31k.  http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2247692/business

Since then, it has been expanding all over the country and made $1.2 million last weekend, per the article. 

It's blacklisted so much that on Friday it "will be playing in 1,075 theaters," per the article. 

I read a number of the moviegoer reviews.  It's not a hit piece.  It's a documentary that is apparently very well done. 

But don't let the facts get in the way . . . . 

Its not a documentary......documen taries visit both sides of the fence.   The movie is completely one sided as there are no comments or interviews with Obama supporters whatsoever.  It also takes advantage of George Obama who did it for extra money.
A

Dos Equis

• Getbig V

Its not a documentary......documen taries visit both sides of the fence.   The movie is completely one sided as there are no comments or interviews with Obama supporters whatsoever.  It also takes advantage of George Obama who did it for extra money.

And you know this because you watched it? 

Kazan

• Getbig V
  • Sic vis pacem, parabellum

I bet you had a hard on for Farenheit 911 didn't you, that was supposedly a documentary
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
I usually don't watch these kinds of movies,

You don't want documentaries?  That figures................. ..............

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails

Kind of like Fahrenheit 911?  ::)

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
I bet you had a hard on for Farenheit 911 didn't you, that was supposedly a documentary

Actually I never watched Farenheit 911.  Most movie type ones are riddled with inconsistancies to put meat in the seats
A

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V

Actually I never watched Farenheit 911.  Most movie type ones are riddled with inconsistancies to put meat in the seats

DSouza helped out Obamas brother when he needed help.   Obama was shooting hoops for money w thugs.

case closed. 

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
DSouza helped out Obamas brother when he needed help.   Obama was shooting hoops for money w thugs.

case closed. 

Fuck George Obama....if Barack didn't help him out, there's prob a good reason
A

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!

And that good reason would be......

Imagine that! The guy who lectures other about being his brother's keeper doesn't practice what he preaches....color me shocked!!

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V

OMFG!!!!   are you kidding? 

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
OMFG!!!!   are you kidding? 

No, I'm not kidding and I honestly think its pretty low for the GOP to interfere with the family affairs of others. 
A

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
 :D

So the kid should have suffered wo care? 

No, I'm not kidding and I honestly think its pretty low for the GOP to interfere with the family affairs of others. 

whork

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Whats the problem?
Obama doesnt want to help his poor brother.

He is an asshole.

However its good republican policy to tell the poor unemployed leaches they should fuck off so why are you guys having a hard time with this ???

Kazan

• Getbig V
Whats the problem?
Obama doesnt want to help his poor brother.

He is an asshole.

However its good republican policy to tell the poor unemployed leaches they should fuck off so why are you guys having a hard time with this ???

You really don't understand the difference? Family vs the government.......
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

whork

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
You really don't understand the difference? Family vs the government.......

Of course.

But its his own fault he is unemployed and giving him money doesnt work he will just come back asking for more right?
Like i said republican policy. If you are broke and unemployed its your fault

Kazan

• Getbig V
Of course.

But its his own fault he is unemployed and giving him money doesnt work he will just come back asking for more right?
Like i said republican policy. If you are broke and unemployed its your fault

In America, for the most part yes. If you are able bodied you can get a job, may not be the best job but you can work. Most would rather live of the labor of others. Family is family, it's not Obama has nothing to give, he chose not to
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
In America, for the most part yes. If you are able bodied you can get a job, may not be the best job but you can work. Most would rather live of the labor of others. Family is family, it's not Obama has nothing to give, he chose not to

Obama treats his own family like he does the nation - like shit. 

Aunt in public housing

Uncle drunk in a liquor store

Brother destitute in a hut 

whork

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
OMG

Obama is a republican.

You were right all along he fooled us but not you 333...

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
OMG

Obama is a republican.

You were right all along he fooled us but not you 333...

Repubs give more to charity than layabout grifting leftists.   

dario73

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Repubs give more to charity than layabout grifting leftists.   

Take it easy on the board retard, 3333.

You need to understand that he never allows facts to get in the way of his idiotic rambling.

Kazan

• Getbig V
Take it easy on the board retard, 3333.

You need to understand that he never allows facts to get in the way of his idiotic rambling.

He's just confused, conservatives give of their own free will their own money. He thinks its better for the lib's to be able to take other people's money and give it to whom they seem fit. All the while keeping their money safe and sound.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ