Author Topic: Suicide by running  (Read 345948 times)

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
Suicide by running
« on: August 24, 2012, 02:11:33 AM »
A friend of mine told me a story he heard about a depressed obese man who started running in hopes of killing himself. But he didn't die, he ended up losing weight and pulling out of the depression. Supposed to be an uplifting tale, anyone heard of this or have links?

mik1111

• Getbig III
Re: Suicide by running
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2012, 04:18:35 AM »
seems total bs,
great imagination

Master Blaster

• Getbig V
  • Not sure if getbig full of trolls or trolls getbig
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2012, 02:51:03 PM »
Similar story to Dean Karnazes...gives up running at age 14, then when he turned thirty he left the bar that night after celerating with friends and ran all night long. Changed his whole life. Became "ultramarathon man." I don't think he was obese though.

hrspwr

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2012, 03:53:10 PM »
I would have been dead last year if this was true. I thought for sure by the time I could run a 1/2 marathon I would be lean, nope. Just a clydesdale in good condition.
time under tension

booty

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2012, 10:14:19 PM »
A friend of mine told me a story he heard about a depressed obese man who started running in hopes of killing himself. But he didn't die, he ended up losing weight and pulling out of the depression. Supposed to be an uplifting tale, anyone heard of this or have links?
All the endorphins produced from running would definitely make a huge improvement in lowering depression.  It sounds like he actually got his life back.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2012, 05:02:44 PM »

the person telling your friend the story mightg have confused the "running" part with fasting.

This article in Harpers talks about an obese man who decided to starve himself to death and stopped eating and instead found that his depression went away and of course he lost a ton of weight

Here is a link to the article and it's really fascinating what the effects of a fast can have on the human body, especially it's effects on blood pressure and also for people who are undergoing chemo/radiation

http://www.colorado.edu/eeb/courses/buchwald/1040/hrap_files/Starving.pdf

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2012, 01:14:54 AM »
the person telling your friend the story mightg have confused the "running" part with fasting.

This article in Harpers talks about an obese man who decided to starve himself to death and stopped eating and instead found that his depression went away and of course he lost a ton of weight

Here is a link to the article and it's really fascinating what the effects of a fast can have on the human body, especially it's effects on blood pressure and also for people who are undergoing chemo/radiation

http://www.colorado.edu/eeb/courses/buchwald/1040/hrap_files/Starving.pdf

I am pretty sure it was running but thats still a great story you posted.  I agree lots of benefits of fasting.  Even going into ketosis helps with a lot of these health issues. 

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2012, 10:56:54 AM »
In college I wrote a paper around 1979 that discussed that. He was a middle age man trying to commit suicide by running after suffering two heart attacks. He wanted to make it look like an accident. Shocked he didn't die he ran to exhaustion every day. At the end of the week his depression was lifting and he started feeling good again. Of course, no one recommends this approach to fitness. The film was "Run Dick, Run Jane" (Texas, N.B.T; N.D.)

In rehab for heart surgery patients they make the heart patient do some form of cardio. People have died doing cardio but it has prevented way more heart attacks than it has caused. Many heart attacks occur during sleep but no one recommends giving up sleeping cause you can have a heart attack.

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2012, 04:50:05 PM »
I would have been dead last year if this was true. I thought for sure by the time I could run a 1/2 marathon I would be lean, nope. Just a clydesdale in good condition.

Same with me. I ran my first half marathon last year and told myself I'd be in the best shape of my life at 30. I didn't take into account the slowdown in metabolism from 22 to 30 so I didn't get ripped. I put on a few lbs here lately because I haven't been regular in the gym, but ran a 10k yesterday with no running in 6 months and beat an hour. It's a start, and I'll probably get to it again. Felt great mentally, but ache today. I'm 6'4" and 235 so I guess I'm a Clydesdale.

hrspwr

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2012, 07:26:33 AM »
congrats. I had to back off of the longer runs just because my knees started hurting. I run 6 mi every sat morn and a couple 3 milers during the week. I thought I was in decent condition until I started a boxing fitness class,  almost threw up the first night.  :D
  i think that really intense cardio is more effective for me but damn my joints hurt from hitting shit for an hour.

time under tension

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2012, 06:43:34 AM »
Sometimes doing cardio at to low an intensity level isn't to effective for fat loss. I have a buddy who was telling me he ran 4 to 10  miles a day getting ready for the NY marathon a couple of years ago. He ran the marathon and saw him soon after.  I haven't seen him in years and he looked chubby.  I thought is this the same guy who runs 4 to 10 miles and does marathons?  I ran with him for a 4 mile run and he couldn't keep up. Apparently when he "runs" he does a little shuffle step jog. I told him he would lose more weight if he would just run 2 miles at a time but really push the pace instead of his super low intensity 4 to 10 miles.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2012, 10:02:05 AM »
Sometimes doing cardio at to low an intensity level isn't to effective for fat loss. I have a buddy who was telling me he ran 4 to 10  miles a day getting ready for the NY marathon a couple of years ago. He ran the marathon and saw him soon after.  I haven't seen him in years and he looked chubby.  I thought is this the same guy who runs 4 to 10 miles and does marathons?  I ran with him for a 4 mile run and he couldn't keep up. Apparently when he "runs" he does a little shuffle step jog. I told him he would lose more weight if he would just run 2 miles at a time but really push the pace instead of his super low intensity 4 to 10 miles.
For a Bodybuilder there is no need to run more than 3-5 miles at a good pace. I agree with your post.

magikusar

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • Team Ayn Rand
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2012, 04:07:05 PM »
working out does solve msot problems

people are depressed when they arent coming enuf

when you workout u sleep and relax and get better looking

eventually you get laid more, and body feels great afrer coming

problems gone!!

magikusar

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • Team Ayn Rand
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2012, 04:12:59 PM »
you can also run suicides

like in basketball camp

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2013, 11:20:47 AM »
Similar story to Dean Karnazes...gives up running at age 14, then when he turned thirty he left the bar that night after celerating with friends and ran all night long. Changed his whole life. Became "ultramarathon man." I don't think he was obese though.

Crazy!

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2013, 05:20:08 AM »

good post

Blake007

• Getbig I
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2013, 06:50:38 AM »
I didn't hear any story which you are saying but its looking interesting.. I think its a best way for those who are really fat and wan't to reduce body weight and fat. They should try a running suicide, at least it helps to reduce weight and fat and if luckily the they got success in that suicide then its more good. Lolxx..

jadenmiller

• Getbig I
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2014, 10:00:21 PM »
I don't think running for whole day, would lead to weight loss. Every person has different body structure, things which works for someone not necessary to work others. Focus on balanced diet and workout plan.

phreak

• Getbig V
  • Food is amazing
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2014, 12:58:29 AM »
I don't think running for whole day, would lead to weight loss. Every person has different body structure, things which works for someone not necessary to work others. Focus on balanced diet and workout plan.
It works if you run AWAY from the buffet.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2014, 12:02:56 PM »
when I was fat, and tried to run... I always got shinsplints before I got winded.

Var City

• Getbig IV
  • Perennially Man-Diming
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2014, 11:13:48 AM »

Forward to Shizzo ASAP

keesh1

• Getbig I
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2015, 07:47:29 AM »
I am pretty sure it was running but thats still a great story you posted.  I agree lots of benefits of fasting.  Even going into ketosis helps with a lot of these health issues. 

I haven't heard either of these stories, but I agree that fasting is more effective than running when it's about fat lose. Anyway both helps those who suffer from depression. Our bodies produce endorphins when running.

elfX

• Getbig II
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2015, 05:20:53 PM »
it's totally unsustainable way of things from medical perspective

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2015, 05:28:38 PM »
working out does solve msot problems

people are depressed when they arent coming enuf

when you workout u sleep and relax and get better looking

eventually you get laid more, and body feels great afrer coming

problems gone!!

My body is coming along slowly but nicely. I'd get laid more and cum enough if I could still cum. Unfortunately, prostate cancer and surgery took that joy away.

oldschoolfan

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2015, 10:56:32 AM »
heres my experience,   when i was a kid i had alot of problems with my feet genetic, problems,  everytime i ran i was in pain.

so basically i gave up the notion i could ever run.

i had been doing a ton of cardio for monthes at my gym, bike treadmill, precor

well 6 weeks ago im like im going to try running.   it was hard as hell at first running is a different beast.  but slowly and surely

i built my endurance up , i now do about 4 miles per day depending how i feel i love it.  running does get you hyped. but starting out

its a guy if you never did it before. i can see how people would give up