Author Topic: Question on hands/wrist placement for bench.  (Read 2976 times)

BG27

Question on hands/wrist placement for bench.
« on: November 17, 2005, 06:58:22 AM »
Been having wrist issues lately and not being able to get comfortable on the bench press.  My hands are supposed to stay strait up? or lay back?  I need a good clean photos of hand posistion during a bench press.  I think thats where some of my problems are coming in at.

Bear03

• Getbig IV
  • back in the swing of things
Re: Question on hands/wrist placement for bench.
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2005, 07:16:39 AM »
bench is a lot like squatting or deadlifting, in that the perfect positioning to ensure the maximum amount of weight lifting is usually pretty tricky because it requires a fair amount of flexibility.
:-)

BG27

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2005, 07:25:23 AM »
I think if lost most of my flexability in my wrist area becuase of the pain.. its not severe pain but extremely annoying.  Ive never had issues before and Im not lifting no where near what I used to work out with. 

Cavalier22

• Getbig IV
  • Citizens! The Fatherland is in Danger
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2005, 09:06:04 AM »
my uncle does it with his thumb not around the bar.   if you get my drift, he says there is less strain on his wrist that way.  but one time he did drop 315 on his chest tho
Valhalla awaits.

BG27

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2005, 09:39:47 AM »
I used to do the same thing.. my partner kept telling me im gonna drop it on my self so I just started wrapping my thumb around.. when you do that you ahve to tilt the top of your hand back to be able to hold the bar.. I wonder if this is hard on the wrist?

Bear03

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2005, 10:04:25 AM »
I used to do the same thing.. my partner kept telling me im gonna drop it on my self so I just started wrapping my thumb around.. when you do that you ahve to tilt the top of your hand back to be able to hold the bar.. I wonder if this is hard on the wrist?

you don't HAVE to tilt your hand back....after i broke my arm and wrist during football, and played in the cast, i developed bad tendinitis and inflexibility.  I did bench for a very long time with my hands and forearms lined up, not perpendicular to each other.  Of course, you can't lift as much weight this way, but you can still develop good pectoral muscles.  If strength is your goal, you gotta nail the PL-ing bench form.

BG27

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2005, 11:11:37 AM »
PL-ing bench form?

Carmello

• Getbig III
  • Believe it or not. Your choice.
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2005, 11:41:14 AM »
I think people who have trouble while benching aren't using a wide enough grip. I'm a fan of following most workouts of people with signature body parts. Take Arnold for instance, with the best chest ever. On the bench, he used a no thumbs, extra wide grip on the bar. This is my approach, and I notice no pain in my wrists since. Just don't roll your wrists too far back. I've never felt like I was gonna drop the bar on myself, and Arnold never had a problem doing it his way.

CEA999

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2005, 12:27:44 PM »
lay back
Z

Jr. Yates

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2005, 12:46:31 PM »
i don't usually have wrist problems but when i do its when i go heavy for narrow press so i tried these neoprene wrist wraps that support your wrist and they worked fine
bodybuildersreality.com

BG27

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2005, 02:21:21 PM »
My grip is plenty wide and I probably just need a good set of wrist wraps.  My hands lay back normally so thats right.. ill try not to keep back to far.  Just weird how this last year Ive been having wrist issues.. been lifting 7 years on and off with the first 3 years being very dedicated.... maybe its all catching up to me.

Bear03

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2005, 02:47:08 PM »
I have major shoulder issues, so i guess i'm not *really* one to talk.