Author Topic: Swimming  (Read 1894 times)

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
Swimming
« on: September 01, 2012, 10:47:08 PM »
I know a lot of us here joke about how a guy looks like a "swimmer" but really is swimming a good form of cardio in addition to weight lifting?  It seems it would be a good option since it is fun a good workout and no stress on joints. Sorry if this topic has been done before.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Swimming
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2012, 05:53:59 AM »
Here's some of my thoughts regarding cardio in general including swimming. Being out of shape regarding cardio is a risk factor to heart health.  It's the number one killer of man.  There are a lot of factors that determine a heart failure.  Genetics, inflamation, triglerides, HDL to LDL ratios; total cholesterol, blood sugar, diet, body fat levels, and cardio fitness to name some. 

The argument that I know a 20 year smoker that is healthy or a  15 year steroid user that is healthy is pure stupidity.  They are a risk to health.  You can't go to the extremes of statistics to prove a non existent point. Sure as the sun rises a good runner will die from a heart attack.  As sure as that the majority of runners will prevent a heart attack from their running program.

Cardio endurance is important.  If you don't believe it go down to your local boxing gym and fight a three rounder. I bet the next day you be lacing up up your running shoes.

Running or any cardio will decrease your resting heart rate.  This illustrates that your heart is pumping more volume at rest. It's more efficient. It increases HDL to LDL ratio.  It decreases body fat not only subcutaneous but visceral.  It also lowers blood pressure.  It can have a positive effect on cholesterol and triglycerides.  It can also promote healthy blood sugar levels. 

There are many risk factors to heart health and being out of shape is one of them. Is it a cure all?  I don't have to answer that question because someone will bring up Jim Fixx. Many heart attacks happen during rest but you don't blame sleeping. Heart attacks is the number one killer of man.  I'm sure many of you guys in your 20's couldn't give a damm about that but one day you will be in your 40's and 50's.  Pay attention to risk factors. 

On an athletic consideration endurance is part of the pie that makes a successful winner.  I wouldn't want to ground fight, box, or just about any athletic activities missing a good cardio background.  Skill, speed, endurance, reaction, and power are some components of most athletics in different ratios.  How many steroid pros have true cardio endurance?

Regarding swimming it's a great cardio exercise. The problem I have with concerning fat loss is the coolness of the water. The body adapts for survival and the coolness of the water is saying to preserve fat. If you really push yourself you will be burning a lot of calories and getting lean. Most casual exercisers who choose swimming as their primary exercise look chubby to me. I can't help think it's the cold water. Any way that's my theory. 

One thing for sure if you lift with heavy weights and do to much cardio it can interfere with adaptation toward pure strength. If you are lifting for less intensity but more toward endurance it won't be that much of a problem. So if your chest work out looks something like this: Bench 2 sets of 6 reps; inclines 2 sets of 6; and flies for 2 set of 10 to failure going for 5 mile run will kill your strength the day after. If your chest workout looks more like this: Bench 5 sets of 10; incline 5 sets of 10 and flies 5 sets of 12 that running won't kill the lifting workout because you won't be going for a pure strength increase but an endurance weight workout. 

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2012, 08:49:42 AM »
Here's some of my thoughts regarding cardio in general including swimming. Being out of shape regarding cardio is a risk factor to heart health.  It's the number one killer of man.  There are a lot of factors that determine a heart failure.  Genetics, inflamation, triglerides, HDL to LDL ratios; total cholesterol, blood sugar, diet, body fat levels, and cardio fitness to name some. 

The argument that I know a 20 year smoker that is healthy or a  15 year steroid user that is healthy is pure stupidity.  They are a risk to health.  You can't go to the extremes of statistics to prove a non existent point. Sure as the sun rises a good runner will die from a heart attack.  As sure as that the majority of runners will prevent a heart attack from their running program.

Cardio endurance is important.  If you don't believe it go down to your local boxing gym and fight a three rounder. I bet the next day you be lacing up up your running shoes.

Running or any cardio will decrease your resting heart rate.  This illustrates that your heart is pumping more volume at rest. It's more efficient. It increases HDL to LDL ratio.  It decreases body fat not only subcutaneous but visceral.  It also lowers blood pressure.  It can have a positive effect on cholesterol and triglycerides.  It can also promote healthy blood sugar levels. 

There are many risk factors to heart health and being out of shape is one of them. Is it a cure all?  I don't have to answer that question because someone will bring up Jim Fixx. Many heart attacks happen during rest but you don't blame sleeping. Heart attacks is the number one killer of man.  I'm sure many of you guys in your 20's couldn't give a damm about that but one day you will be in your 40's and 50's.  Pay attention to risk factors. 

On an athletic consideration endurance is part of the pie that makes a successful winner.  I wouldn't want to ground fight, box, or just about any athletic activities missing a good cardio background.  Skill, speed, endurance, reaction, and power are some components of most athletics in different ratios.  How many steroid pros have true cardio endurance?

Regarding swimming it's a great cardio exercise. The problem I have with concerning fat loss is the coolness of the water. The body adapts for survival and the coolness of the water is saying to preserve fat. If you really push yourself you will be burning a lot of calories and getting lean. Most casual exercisers who choose swimming as their primary exercise look chubby to me. I can't help think it's the cold water. Any way that's my theory. 

One thing for sure if you lift with heavy weights and do to much cardio it can interfere with adaptation toward pure strength. If you are lifting for less intensity but more toward endurance it won't be that much of a problem. So if your chest work out looks something like this: Bench 2 sets of 6 reps; inclines 2 sets of 6; and flies for 2 set of 10 to failure going for 5 mile run will kill your strength the day after. If your chest workout looks more like this: Bench 5 sets of 10; incline 5 sets of 10 and flies 5 sets of 12 that running won't kill the lifting workout because you won't be going for a pure strength increase but an endurance weight workout. 
GOOD POST...this is true and i like to run myself but i always have. swimming i do not do often but if YOU like it...DO IT: as long as you "swim" and not just splash around and look at sexy chics...you will get a great workout.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2012, 10:15:16 AM »
Donny, if I can't splash around and check out sexy chicks it's not worth it.  ;D

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2012, 11:40:40 AM »

Donny, if I can't splash around and check out sexy chicks it's not worth it.  ;D
;D

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2012, 05:05:22 PM »
I know a lot of us here joke about how a guy looks like a "swimmer" but really is swimming a good form of cardio in addition to weight lifting?  It seems it would be a good option since it is fun a good workout and no stress on joints. Sorry if this topic has been done before.
i use it for cardio in the summer swim about one half to one mile in the summer only at low intensity. no butterfly stroke. ;D
F

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2012, 07:01:54 AM »
I swim like a rock. I just never learned how to swim.  I can survive if I'm about 50 yards from the shore in my crazy energy wasting swimming style. I really need to take some lessons.