Author Topic: Bringing up upper portion of pecs  (Read 12001 times)

Borracho

• Getbig V
  • Waking up is possible if ur tired of the dream....
Bringing up upper portion of pecs
« on: September 02, 2012, 07:08:11 AM »

I'm really lagging in this area. I always start with inclines but I feel it's done fuck all to bring up this portion. Maybe try high reps...start with flys  ???

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
Re: Bringing up upper portion of pecs
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2012, 08:40:00 AM »
for upper chest i like Dumbbells better than a bar. do a tri set... incline flyes ....incline DB press.....Decline push ups (feet on a bench)  try pre-exhaust and other ways to shock your chest. I am lucky in that i do not need a lot of weight to make my chest respond.

Borracho

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2012, 07:40:52 AM »
for upper chest i like Dumbbells better than a bar. do a tri set... incline flyes ....incline DB press.....Decline push ups (feet on a bench)  try pre-exhaust and other ways to shock your chest. I am lucky in that i do not need a lot of weight to make my chest respond.

Never thought about doing a tri set like you've mentioned. I also prefer dumbbells but I throw in barbells just to mix things up. I've recently began chest workouts with either a fly movement or triceps to pre-exhaust supporting muscles. I'm also considering dropping all flat movements atm...don't know if this would be recommended??

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2012, 09:24:38 AM »
Vince Gironda wrote for upper pecs....
"do the neck press, preferably on the smith machine . Lie supine on a flat bench with your knees crossed over your body for balance. Take a wider than shoulder grip on the bar and lower it to your neck--yes,your neck--not your throat. Keep your elbows wide, away from your body, and pulled back in line with your shoulders. Press up to within an inch of lockout and lower slowly and with control. try 4 sets with 8-12 reps with 30-45 secounds rest between sets. Cut out regular bench presses and all lower pec work. stick to neck presses , Incline Dumbbell presses and low incline flyes (25 degree)

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2012, 09:27:12 AM »
this is from Vince´s page in Muscle Mag about 94... tried to scan it but it is too big ???

Borracho

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2012, 01:23:03 PM »
Vince Gironda wrote for upper pecs....
"do the neck press, preferably on the smith machine . Lie supine on a flat bench with your knees crossed over your body for balance. Take a wider than shoulder grip on the bar and lower it to your neck--yes,your neck--not your throat. Keep your elbows wide, away from your body, and pulled back in line with your shoulders. Press up to within an inch of lockout and lower slowly and with control. try 4 sets with 8-12 reps with 30-45 secounds rest between sets. Cut out regular bench presses and all lower pec work. stick to neck presses , Incline Dumbbell presses and low incline flyes (25 degree)

Hey thanks for trying to scan the pic and for all the tips. I think this is what it looks like:

I found it on this page:

http://www.romanfitnesssystems.com/blog/three-awesome-exercises-for-well-developed-chesticles/

One thing though..I noticed you say bring it down to the neck and not my throat. Can you explain what you mean by that.

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2012, 01:54:06 PM »
Hey thanks for trying to scan the pic and for all the tips. I think this is what it looks like:

I found it on this page:

http://www.romanfitnesssystems.com/blog/three-awesome-exercises-for-well-developed-chesticles/

One thing though..I noticed you say bring it down to the neck and not my throat. Can you explain what you mean by that.

that's a great exercise, but if you don't increase your training loads on it, then you won't get thicker and fuller pecs, end of story

Borracho

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2012, 02:03:19 PM »
that's a great exercise, but if you don't increase your training loads on it, then you won't get thicker and fuller pecs, end of story

I've never done that exercise so no doubt I will be progressing on it.  :D

but yeah I get what you're saying...

Borracho

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2012, 02:08:35 PM »
Can't wait to start doing this exercise...

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2012, 08:59:55 AM »
Going over a bit of what Donny offered, with Gironda's instructions:

Though a great movement, the bar to the neck bench is not meant for everyone  (actually no one exercise is). This form of benching should require a alert spotter(s) standing by. Or a set of well placed stops/pins, which can take away the full affect of the exercise, usually not allowing the full stretch that is a part of this type bench. Try to remember that this is not the most joint friendly exercise, so might be using a weight that can be controlled, fully, each rep. It is not designed for heavy weight sessions, as in normal benching. Pretty much about the total stretch.

In any event, a good stretch and warmup would be advised before getting into this serious bench workout. Keeping the elbows out to (or near) a 90 degree position give the most results. Preferred with a wide, to extra wide, grip. As the pictures show, raising the knees up seems to give better focus and less influence from the legs/lower body. And reduced or no back arch.  Some BB'ers will even put a heavy towel/pad under the hips, while having the knees raise. This exercise was never designed for any type of cheating, hence the legs raised. Not sure what Gironda meant by "to the neck", but I would suspect where the lower neck meets the shouldesr boney part.

As far as the impressive upper pec's and development goes, that would depend a lot on the genetic structure; muscle inserts, bone leverage/length, direction of muscle influence/force, etc. If you were born with that potential of fully developed upper chest, even flat benches should take care of that.Can always improve any muscle area, but there will be limits compared to other guy's who may have that natural inclination of a great upper pec tie in. Columbo, as a very good example.  Good Luck.
F

Borracho

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2012, 06:02:15 PM »
Thanks for the additional advice guys. I feel like a kid dying to try everything written in this thread.  ;D

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2012, 02:22:53 AM »
Thanks for the additional advice guys. I feel like a kid dying to try everything written in this thread.  ;D
well i think we all never stop learning ;D i mean i am the sexpert of Getbig ;D

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2012, 05:03:32 AM »
my best advice like someone said dumbells are better.  Also shoot for higher weight and lower reps.  Do 3-4 sets of 4-6 heavy reps. 

Borracho

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2012, 03:28:02 PM »
my best advice like someone said dumbells are better.  Also shoot for higher weight and lower reps.  Do 3-4 sets of 4-6 heavy reps. 

I did that neckpress yesterday and I feel like I would've targeted the area better with dumbbells. Regardless, I feel really sore in that portion of my chest today.  :D

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2012, 03:35:37 PM »
I did that neckpress yesterday and I feel like I would've targeted the area better with dumbbells. Regardless, I feel really sore in that portion of my chest today.  :D

not really, barbell is much better for it, coz it keeps you "in line" so to speak

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2012, 03:37:34 PM »

well at least you tried it

Borracho

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2012, 03:55:31 PM »
not really, barbell is much better for it, coz it keeps you "in line" so to speak

Yeah..I was thinking with dumbbells I would naturally want to bring them together as if I were doing a fly. Will keep at with this new exercise though...so far so good!

Borracho

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2012, 03:57:22 PM »
well at least you tried it

Yeah its good...to hell with flats and declines.

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2012, 04:17:09 PM »
Yeah..I was thinking with dumbbells I would naturally want to bring them together as if I were doing a fly. Will keep at with this new exercise though...so far so good!

you'll increase training loads as you "learn" this new move, but then after the "learning" is over it becomes CRUCIAL to keep adding to the load

Borracho

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2012, 04:26:57 PM »
you'll increase training loads as you "learn" this new move, but then after the "learning" is over it becomes CRUCIAL to keep adding to the load

A little bit of juice should help with that  ;D

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2012, 04:30:32 PM »
A little bit of juice should help with that  ;D

lol ;D

trapz101

• Getbig IV
  • team 'THE CORN'
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2012, 03:45:12 AM »
Yeah its good...to hell with flats and declines.

x2...i never do flats anymore and only do decline on hammer strength
T

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2012, 08:56:47 PM »
smith bench to neck or high to collarbone,,,flat or inc dumbells  press finish at top turn palms in,,,dips lean foward a bit no rocking go 12/15 reps finish end workout...

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2012, 05:14:42 PM »
smith bench to neck or high to collarbone,,,flat or inc dumbells  press finish at top turn palms in,,,dips lean foward a bit no rocking go 12/15 reps finish end workout...

I think that Gironda-style dips and Hammer Strength machine neck presses have helped my chest development better than any incline press.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2012, 05:27:44 PM »
my chest...
fdbpress
inc smith press or dbpress
hammer mid press
bodyweight dips 12/15 
cable crossovers

i'll add sometimes smith bench to neck,fdb twist palms in,flat or inc flyes ,,i move 1 movement out add 1 in every other workout,,,