Author Topic: What is it about Phil Heath that doesn't sit right with the fans?  (Read 6074 times)

Your Average GymRat

What is it about Phil Heath that doesn't sit right with the fans?
« on: September 03, 2012, 02:05:48 PM »
Let's face it. Phil Heath's reign as Mr. Olympia has been a non inspiring 50 or so weeks of relative anonymity. Aside from a few derisive comments about his unnatural appearance, nobody discusses the guy. Not like Arnold, Lee, Dorian, Ronnie, etc. Phil Heath is a nobody who has failed to bring any charisma or excitement to the title. Worse than Dexter, which I didn't think could be possible. Why is Heath so insignificant? Why do the fans not connect with Heath in a meaningful way?

bradistani

• Getbig V
Re: What is it about Phil Heath that doesn't sit right with the fans?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2012, 02:16:02 PM »
i imagine with you its likely his skin colour  :-\

Papper

• Getbig V
  • Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do.
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2012, 02:20:39 PM »
Dexter Jackson is easily the shittiest O of them all. Did he even lift a finger during that year?

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2012, 02:26:10 PM »
Let's face it. Phil Heath's reign as Mr. Olympia has been a non inspiring 50 or so weeks of relative anonymity. Aside from a few derisive comments about his unnatural appearance, nobody discusses the guy. Not like Arnold, Lee, Dorian, Ronnie, etc. Phil Heath is a nobody who has failed to bring any charisma or excitement to the title. Worse than Dexter, which I didn't think could be possible. Why is Heath so insignificant? Why do the fans not connect with Heath in a meaningful way?

Some Mr Olympias never had the charisma and image with the fans to create a buzz and devoted fan base.
Yates didn't have the most friendly , open , talkative personality BUT many fans loved the guy.
He was able to tap into some hardcore aspect that fans loved and could identify with.

Plus, the IFBB/NPC is promoting a lot of NON bodybuilding stuff right now ( MPD boardshorts, bikini, etc).

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
  • Go back to making jewelry and cakes with your girl
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2012, 02:30:11 PM »
People don't like him because they are fucking sheep and their sheephearder gh15 said so , Heath is in a league of his own right now and if he continues to come in on point he will continue to win

Any comments about him being narrow or having a weak chest is redundant it doesn't matter overall he's the best guy competing right now

Jaime

• Getbig V
  • North Pole, fucking elves left, right and centre.
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2012, 02:46:17 PM »
People don't like him because they are fucking sheep and their sheephearder gh15 said so , Heath is in a league of his own right now and if he continues to come in on point he will continue to win

Any comments about him being narrow or having a weak chest is redundant it doesn't matter overall he's the best guy competing right now

What would he need to do to surpass Ronnie or Dorian?
Trans Milkshake.

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2012, 02:49:29 PM »

What would he need to do to surpass Ronnie or Dorian?

He can't , might beat Dorian on Olympia wins doubt he'll touch Ronnie

Jaime

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2012, 02:53:16 PM »

I just wondered what he lacked physique wise in comparison to those two. Is it possible he can fulfill the criteria more than either did?
Trans Milkshake.

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2012, 02:58:21 PM »

So, Hulkster wins?

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2012, 03:00:58 PM »

I just wondered what he lacked physique wise in comparison to those two. Is it possible he can fulfill the criteria more than either did?

he meets it great compared to the guys he's competing with. Where Ronnie & Dorian murder him is width , clavicle with and lat width. Dorian and Ronnie kill him in the latspreads , standing relaxed , and the ab-thigh

hp31

• Getbig III
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2012, 03:01:41 PM »

Pretty much this.

rocket

• Getbig V
  • Not a champion
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2012, 03:19:11 PM »
he meets it great compared to the guys he's competing with. Where Ronnie & Dorian murder him is width , clavicle with and lat width. Dorian and Ronnie kill him in the latspreads , standing relaxed , and the ab-thigh

I don't understand why you post utter tripe (the first sentence in your first comment in this thread) and then proceed to point out exactly why people don't necessarily like him.  I'm not around enough to witness what you're reacting to so perhaps there are some idiots saying he shouldn't be champion.  That's irrelevant to me.  I just don't like how he compares, structurally to the two great bodybuilders in recent memory.

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2012, 03:22:22 PM »
The short answer? He's gay. And not like secret schmoe gay, openly gay. That's not good for the session craving queens, I'm sure part of it is the chase.

Jaime

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2012, 03:35:08 PM »

So does Dennis Wolf.
Trans Milkshake.

Viking11

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2012, 03:54:47 PM »
Honestly, I don't think he's very interesting. Great physique- but nothing to say about training that's interesting or relevant. Isn't a philosophical rambler ala Kai or Mentzer, isnt particularly intelllectual, or controversial. His win was great - for him.

Freeway

• Getbig I
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2012, 04:00:00 PM »
Because he makes it look easy

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2012, 04:00:20 PM »
I think its less about his physique and more to do with the fact that what competes today is not very good. You look at Ronnie than you look at Phil and there is no comparison. Phil will never be a ronnie and probably never a dorian or haney. Sure, he is the best NOW competing among todays pros. But people will often look to the past to compare and he is not in the same league as other mr. O's. Like I said, I think it has more to do with the dwindling competition. If heath competed in the early 90s, he would definitely not be Mr. O. He might not even crack top 6.
X

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • I ate an entire box of popsicles the day prior
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2012, 04:02:46 PM »
The short answer? He's gay. And not like secret schmoe gay, openly gay. That's not good for the session craving queens, I'm sure part of it is the chase.

I think he's married to a slightly-above-average-looking white woman.

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2012, 04:07:09 PM »
To me he just comes off as rather full of himself, which has a way of diatancing you from the common fan.
follow the arrows

cephissus

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2012, 04:08:28 PM »
no one cares about bodybuilding anymore, it's not just phil.  the sport has been completely exposed (within getbig) as a necessarily fraudulent activity.

people are tired of these meat mountains, who only serve to dilute their fond memories of the 90s.

but speaking on phil specifically: he's ugly, probably gay, and has the bone structure of a woman.  not hard to see why he hasn't made much of a splash...

no one will have any real interest in an O until the invention of some crazy technology that allows people to pack on another 50 lbs of lean mass, mark my words.  and then, things will have passed so far beyond the point-of-no-justification that even the schmoes might start to recoil a bit.

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2012, 04:10:42 PM »
People are jealous of his physique so they endlessly nick pick to find something wrong.     People who are perceived to have it easy like Heath are always going to attract negative attention.  All he ever had to do is stick a needle in his ass and grow.  Nature already did the rest for him.  
A

Andy Griffin

• Getbig V
  • I know my own name, bitch.
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2012, 04:18:44 PM »
If the posts I read on this website are to be believed, everyone and everything is wider than Phil Heath.
~

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2012, 04:21:23 PM »
People are jealous of his physique so they endlessly nick pick to find something wrong.     People who are perceived to have it easy like Heath are always going to attract negative attention.  All he ever had to do is stick a needle in his ass and grow.  Nature already did the rest for him.  

People have their favorites and are more than willing to overlook their flaws and concentrate on their strengths and when Phil wins they harp on his flaws and proof of their hero's superiority and how their hero was victimized

Phil is the complete package even with his flaws and people are gonna have a fuck of a time beating him , Phil is not unbeatable though but he's on point and really starting to come into his own

Maddy

• Getbig IV
  • Getbigs Watchdog
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2012, 04:29:07 PM »

Phil doesnt
train himself
do his own
nutrition or
drug stacks
he can only
be the face
of bodybuilding
not the
voice

BigCyp

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2012, 05:43:27 AM »

Phil doesnt
train himself
do his own
nutrition or
drug stacks
he can only
be the face
of bodybuilding
not the
voice

People don't