Author Topic: Finishing moves that make you go Hmmmmm.....  (Read 29062 times)

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
Finishing moves that make you go Hmmmmm.....
« on: September 04, 2012, 10:46:51 AM »
Why was Tully's slingshot suplex more deadly than a regular one?  Considering how he barely got them over his head and instead would sort of duck down and lay back so they rolled over.

Why didn't Ronnie Garvin's Hands of Stone KO punch work at the beginning of the match?  He would hit them with closed fists all over the ring.  Was the "wind up" (and then pause) really adding that much to it?

What else can be added to the list?

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Finishing moves that make you go Hmmmmm.....
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012, 11:13:41 AM »
Why was Tully's slingshot suplex more deadly than a regular one?  Considering how he barely got them over his head and instead would sort of duck down and lay back so they rolled over.

Why didn't Ronnie Garvin's Hands of Stone KO punch work at the beginning of the match?  He would hit them with closed fists all over the ring.  Was the "wind up" (and then pause) really adding that much to it?

What else can be added to the list?

- The People's Elbow

- The Cobra

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 05:56:18 PM »
The Bushwackers' Battery Ram,
Ox Baker's Heart Punch,
Shawn's Super Kick,
The Iron Claw as done by Crush Adams, Kerry Von Erich, etc. (Baron Von Raschke was the only guy who had any business doing that shit.)
The People's Elbow - corny, but a gimmick that served its purpose.

With enough time, I could rack up more.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2012, 06:39:56 PM »
RnR Express double drop-kick.....oh brother.  ::)

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2012, 06:47:20 PM »
RnR Express double drop-kick.....oh brother.  ::)

It's TWICE as devastating when done simultaneously.

Don't you know anything?

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2012, 06:50:41 PM »
The Bushwackers' Battery Ram,
Ox Baker's Heart Punch,
Shawn's Super Kick,
The Iron Claw as done by Crush Adams, Kerry Von Erich, etc. (Baron Von Raschke was the only guy who had any business doing that shit.)
The People's Elbow - corny, but a gimmick that served its purpose.

With enough time, I could rack up more.

I beg to differ with that. Fritz had "no business" doing that move?? C'mon man Fritz was a guy who probably had freaky hand strength and you DEFINITELY would not want to face him in his prime after he had a bad day. That dude was a monster for his time.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2012, 06:58:21 PM »
I beg to differ with that. Fritz had "no business" doing that move?? C'mon man Fritz was a guy who probably had freaky hand strength and you DEFINITELY would not want to face him in his prime after he had a bad day. That dude was a monster for his time.

Okay...Raschke and Fritz.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2012, 08:47:34 PM »
RnR Express double drop-kick.....oh brother.  ::)

Or, the Rockers' double-fist off the top rope.

Honorable mention: Honky Tonk Man's "Shake, Rattle, and Roll" neckbreaker.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2012, 07:43:36 PM »

Okay...Raschke and Fritz.

Add Blackjack Mulligan to that group.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2012, 04:50:27 AM »
Crush's kona krush
Kerry's claw
Masterlock
I always liked Valentines figure four but always thought Flairs was weak because I've never seen anyone submit to it.
3:16's stunner was only good because of the way people sold it.
Warriors splash was super weak as well.

Yes, a lot has to do with how the opponent sells the move.

I've always felt that the best finishers were the ones you could do on anyone, anywhere.
Many moves cannot be applied to bigger men, while others rely on the use of a certain part of the ring - like the ropes or the center of the mat, which is the softest part of the ring and is where most harder bumps at least should be given/taken.

Some of my favorite finishers include the Crippler-crossface, which Benoit could hit from almost any angle at any time on anyone.

I also liked the Texas Cloverleaf as well as some of its variations. Dean Malenko could get into that move so fast, and Lance Storm often used a beautiful roll-through coming off the ropes and sliding between his opponents legs (Lance actually used a modified half-crab, but the similarity is close enough).

Ironically, I never cared much for the Scorpion Deathlock. I was a little surprised to see Bret able to hook the hold on Yoko's fat legs at WM. My biggest beef with the move is that, from a story line perspective, the only way you could tie your opponent up in it is if he simply laid there and let you.
Bret at least had some emotion to put into it. IMO, Sting never had the same impact when using it.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2012, 04:51:32 AM »
Add Blackjack Mulligan to that group.

No.

;D

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2012, 08:37:13 AM »
Crush's kona krush
Kerry's claw
Masterlock
I always liked Valentines figure four but always thought Flairs was weak because I've never seen anyone submit to it.
3:16's stunner was only good because of the way people sold it.
Warriors splash was super weak as well.

Rock was AWFUL, selling Austin's stunner. When Austin used the "Million Dollar Dream", it looked lethal.

vascsurgeon

• Getbig II
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2012, 03:42:31 PM »
Here is some old school finishers:
Chief Jay Strongbow indian dance and chops / and sleeper hold
Putski's polish hammer
Stan Stasiak heart punch ::)
Bobo Brazil head butt
Haystacks Calhoun's big splash
Baron Von Ratschke claw that channel 9 used to put a big red "X" on the screen to block out the viewer  lol
Ivan Kolloff knee from the top rope

My favorite was SSBG's bear hug with his 22" pythons 
Those where the days ;)

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2012, 04:06:32 PM »
Here is some old school finishers:
Chief Jay Strongbow indian dance and chops / and sleeper hold
Putski's polish hammer
Stan Stasiak heart punch ::)
Bobo Brazil head butt
Haystacks Calhoun's big splash
Baron Von Ratschke claw that channel 9 used to put a big red "X" on the screen to block out the viewer  lol
Ivan Kolloff knee from the top rope

My favorite was SSBG's bear hug with his 22" pythons 
Those where the days ;)

Hey, where've you been hiding?

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2012, 06:03:54 PM »
I remember that WM party when Hitman took on Yoko. We went berzerk when he put him in the sharp shooter. Great night! Cross face is one of Timmys favorite moves ever. That guy would have an opponent in it in a blink of an eye. Cena is impressive with the STFU as well. There's no way you could realistically get out of it unless you did something drastic. My favorite move's in wrestling today are Ortons snap power slam and Del Rio's arm bar.

I just don't like the way Orton moves in the ring, and this clip showcases it perfectly. He looks very sissy-ish. I'd like to see him move with some authority instead of looking like he's prancing on eggshells.

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2012, 04:01:25 AM »
Hogan leg drop. 

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2012, 05:17:54 AM »
I totally feel the same way about Orton Mont, but Timmy thinks that powerslam is a hot move. He has a killer standing drop kick as well but cannot throw a clothesline to save his life.

The standing drop kick is a beautiful thing to watch. It requires a good vertical leap and timing, and I can't recall seeing many guys use it over the years.
It was always impressive watching a prime Curt Hennig do it near the legitimate 250 lb mark. Amazing athlete.

Speaking of pathetic clotheslines...for as much as I love his work, Davey Boy Smith threw one of the most horrible clotheslines that looked as though it wouldn't knock down a toddler. As soon as he connected, he'd pull his arm backward and UP, which looked ridiculous. He was too afraid of tearing a pec to follow through!

He and Dynamite were two of the best workers ever, but that clothesline... :)

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2012, 05:51:08 AM »
How about the headbutt from the top rope? I mean it always looked kinda cool but how much damage could it really do?

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2012, 06:02:25 AM »
How about the headbutt from the top rope? I mean it always looked kinda cool but how much damage could it really do?

It's one of those moves that you know what it's supposed to accomplish, but more than 20 secs of thought will make you realize that, in reality, it does more damage to the guy executing it.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2012, 01:13:10 PM »
Perfects standing drop kick is one of if not my favorite move of all time. Billy Gunn and Paul Roma both had killer SDK. Big fan of Shane O'Macs coast to coast as well.

Good call! I forgot all about Roma's.

What was Shane's "coast-to-coast?" Was that the name they gave his rendition of RVD's "Vandaminator?"
I remember a lot of smarks criticizing him for ripping off RVD. I agree that it was basically theft (of intellectual property), but it was still damn impressive to see him do it.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2012, 06:45:44 PM »

Shane O'Mac is in my top five. Guy had b@ll$ like a lion. He really put it out there for us. Really wish he didn't leave.

We can only speculate why he left. There were lots of rumors that Stephanie was quite difficult to work with and that the old man maybe played a bit of favorites with her. Maybe Shane felt even more outnumbered with Hunter added to the mix.

Or, maybe Shane saw a different kind of writing on the wall, realizing that it's unlikely that wrestling will ever again reach its previous heights, and decided to pursue other endeavors. The last I heard, it sounded like he was doing pretty well form himself with his cable company.

Krankenstein

• Getbig V
  • quit·ter : a person can't finish a task
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2012, 05:59:16 AM »

I just don't like the way Orton moves in the ring, and this clip showcases it perfectly. He looks very sissy-ish. I'd like to see him move with some authority instead of looking like he's prancing on eggshells.

Was just going to say this.  My beef with his clothes line (and this will be as nit picky as you can get) is he holds his arm out so straight with the palm facing the opponent.  Clothes lines (if you watch old NFL films) are done with palm down and a little more bend to the arm. 

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2012, 08:09:07 AM »
Was just going to say this.  My beef with his clothes line (and this will be as nit picky as you can get) is he holds his arm out so straight with the palm facing the opponent.  Clothes lines (if you watch old NFL films) are done with palm down and a little more bend to the arm. 

Yeah, it looks more like a mistimed bitch slap. Then, the way he waves his arms around while intermittently skipping across the ring... ::)
I don't know anything about the guy personally, but the fact that this character is one of their top talent right now is one of the reasons I can't get into the shows. Looking at their best, I'm not impressed.

vascsurgeon

• Getbig II
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2012, 07:20:37 AM »

Hey, where've you been hiding?
[/quote

Been lying by the pool,
Eating my Chitos and swatting away the giant misquitos.
Lines stolen from SSBG of course.
Busy busy, wish there was more talk about the 70's here, but, I guess I am an old guy, lol
Hope all is well

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2012, 12:23:19 PM »
You guys remember Masked Superstar's swinging neck breaker?  It was a cobra-clutch, but he would pick the other guy up and snap him around.....absolutely brutal looking.