Author Topic: Finishing moves that make you go Hmmmmm.....  (Read 29061 times)

gmflex

• Getbig V
  • The Empire lives...you rebel scum!!!
Re: Finishing moves that make you go Hmmmmm.....
« Reply #50 on: November 18, 2012, 11:18:46 AM »
Undertakers tombstone..

Cheapest move where the head doesn't event touch the canvas.....

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #51 on: December 01, 2013, 03:34:48 PM »
Undertakers tombstone..

Cheapest move where the head doesn't event touch the canvas.....

Taker always took care of his opponents when executing that move. Still, some guys were terrified of taking it. The way you protect yourself on the receiving end is to basically bury your face in your opponent's crotch. Of course, I doubt that everyone who employed this practice did so out of "fear."

Taker's was still much safer than the piledriver version in which the wrestler lands on his ass. It seems there's less room for error. It is also this version with which Owen Hart severely damaged Steve Austin's neck:

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #52 on: December 01, 2013, 04:29:11 PM »

Taker always took care of his opponents when executing that move. Still, some guys were terrified of taking it. The way you protect yourself on the receiving end is to basically bury your face in your opponent's crotch. Of course, I doubt that everyone who employed this practice did so out of "fear."

Taker's was still much safer than the piledriver version in which the wrestler lands on his ass. It seems there's less room for error. It is also this version with which Owen Hart severely damaged Steve Austin's neck:

Man. You could see Austins head a good 4 inches below Harts thighs.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #53 on: December 01, 2013, 04:56:10 PM »

Man. You could see Austins head a good 4 inches below Harts thighs.

Yeah, it was like he did the move for real.

It's hard to say who was at fault, although Owen seems to have taken the blame. The Hart family reportedly resented Austin's segment on the tribute show the RAW after Owen's accident. They felt it was a bit insincere since it was well-known that Steve had a red ass over the incident. Regardless...

Dynamite used to use that piledriver variation in Japan.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #54 on: December 01, 2013, 04:59:19 PM »

Yeah, it was like he did the move for real.

It's hard to say who was at fault, although Owen seems to have taken the blame. The Hart family reportedly resented Austin's segment on the tribute show the RAW after Owen's accident. They felt it was a bit insincere since it was well-known that Steve had a red ass over the incident. Regardless...

Dynamite used to use that piledriver variation in Japan.

Harts.    ::).  What did they want Austin to say? Stay in character "I'm glad tha sumbitch is dead!" 

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #55 on: December 01, 2013, 05:03:04 PM »
Harts.    ::).  What did they want Austin to say? Stay in character "I'm glad tha sumbitch is dead!" 

They hated everyone at that time; even each other. From books and interviews, that whole family is a mess. I'm so glad I backed out of dealing with Stampede when I had the chance.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #56 on: December 01, 2013, 05:11:01 PM »

They hated everyone at that time; even each other. From books and interviews, that whole family is a mess. I'm so glad I backed out of dealing with Stampede when I had the chance.

Bret was so annoying.  Solid worker, horrible on the mic, but greatest ever.  Just ask him.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #57 on: December 01, 2013, 05:34:49 PM »
Bret was so annoying.  Solid worker, horrible on the mic, but greatest ever.  Just ask him.

Exactly.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #58 on: December 01, 2013, 06:49:01 PM »
Well done bro...their entrance theme (ELO "Rock and Roll Is King") sucked too

Worst figure four ever at about 2:55

Goodness you were right about that figure four.  Some of Sullivans oldest footage. 

gmflex

• Getbig V
« Reply #59 on: December 03, 2013, 10:58:07 PM »

I agree .. he took wrestling to personal / serious
Montreal screw job.. refused to drop the belt in canada

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #60 on: December 04, 2013, 01:58:36 AM »
I agree .. he took wrestling to personal / serious
Montreal screw job.. refused to drop the belt in canada

Nobody will ever convince me that Montreal wasn't a work, but yes: Bret sounds like a bitter woman. Have you ever read his book? He's basically a "wrestling tragedy" (his own favorite term) who made a fortune travelling the world, banging hot women on every continent, doing drugs, and wearing spandex while pretending to fight. Sure, he hit a few bumps in the road and experienced some setbacks along the way, but SO DO WE, BRET...SO DO WE.

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #61 on: December 04, 2013, 03:33:55 PM »
Apparently finishing moves are overrated. Cena got to be the biggest star in the biz with a glorified Fireman's Carry.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #62 on: December 04, 2013, 04:12:05 PM »
Apparently finishing moves are overrated. Cena got to be the biggest star in the biz with a glorified Fireman's Carry.

Rock's "People's Elbow" was essentially a glorified shove.

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #63 on: December 04, 2013, 06:02:26 PM »

True but in the end it's ALL about how u sell it.

Andy Griffin

• Getbig V
  • I know my own name, bitch.
« Reply #64 on: December 05, 2013, 03:43:14 PM »
Back in the 70's, Dory Funk Jr won a world title with the spinning toe hold, and Bob Backlund won a world title with an atomic drop (I think he called it the Olympic Spinebreaker  ::)   )

~

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #65 on: December 05, 2013, 05:55:43 PM »
It's not a finisher, but does anyone remember the face-spot Rock used to do in which he'd throw a series of right hands at his opponent's face while backing them into the ropes? Then, amidst the flurry, Rock would pause, spit in his hand, and throw one more punch that would send the other guy over the top rope.

I always thought that move sucked until I saw him do it on Big Show. That took it to a whole new level. They did a lot of stupid shit with Rock's character, but that was at the top of the list.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #66 on: December 05, 2013, 06:21:50 PM »
It's not a finisher, but does anyone remember the face-spot Rock used to do in which he'd throw a series of right hands at his opponent's face while backing them into the ropes? Then, amidst the flurry, Rock would pause, spit in his hand, and throw one more punch that would send the other guy over the top rope.

I always thought that move sucked until I saw him do it on Big Show. That took it to a whole new level. They did a lot of stupid shit with Rock's character, but that was at the top of the list.

I rember that crap. 

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #67 on: December 05, 2013, 07:26:33 PM »
I rember that crap. 

Just my opinion, but the Fed started taking things a little too far in that respect around that time. One of the other things that irked me was how the show almost became "staged for the cameras" rather than the cameras capturing what was happening.

For instance, there was a vignette with Austin and Booker T shot inside of a church. They used cameras inside of the confessionals. To me, stuff like that ruined the element/feel a bit.

That Rock/Mankind halftime show during the Super Bowl the one year; the action was good and entertaining until Mick lowered a forklift load onto Rock and right before the "pin," they cut to a shot of Rocky's face from the point of view of the lowering lift. That kind of ruined the storied illusion.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #68 on: December 05, 2013, 07:59:55 PM »

Just my opinion, but the Fed started taking things a little too far in that respect around that time. One of the other things that irked me was how the show almost became "staged for the cameras" rather than the cameras capturing what was happening.

For instance, there was a vignette with Austin and Booker T shot inside of a church. They used cameras inside of the confessionals. To me, stuff like that ruined the element/feel a bit.

That Rock/Mankind halftime show during the Super Bowl the one year; the action was good and entertaining until Mick lowered a forklift load onto Rock and right before the "pin," they cut to a shot of Rocky's face from the point of view of the lowering lift. That kind of ruined the storied illusion.

I agree. Compare that to the vignette if the Horsemen following Dusty and busting his hand where they threaten the camera guy the whole time.   

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #69 on: December 06, 2013, 02:08:27 AM »

I agree. Compare that to the vignette if the Horsemen following Dusty and busting his hand where they threaten the camera guy the whole time.   

THAT'S how it should be done! They should never have moved away from that even after the public became smart. It's part of what kept professional wrestling as a unique genre.

Also, busting Dusty's hand is a fabulous idea, and I say the more realism the better!

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #70 on: December 06, 2013, 03:46:12 AM »

THAT'S how it should be done! They should never have moved away from that even after the public became smart. It's part of what kept professional wrestling as a unique genre.

Also, busting Dusty's hand is a fabulous idea, and I say the more realism the better!

;D

And I agree.  Moving away from those type of vignettes was another of turdball Vince's ideas. 

gmflex

• Getbig V
« Reply #71 on: December 07, 2013, 10:55:31 AM »

When Owen did the piledriver .. he did like Paul orndoff used to.. he jumped..
Taker kneels slowly.. the tombstone could be done a lot better .. at least make it look like the head touched the canvas.. he wont hurt his opponent they way the taker performs it..

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #72 on: December 08, 2013, 10:51:26 AM »

When Owen did the piledriver .. he did like Paul orndoff used to.. he jumped..
Taker kneels slowly.. the tombstone could be done a lot better .. at least make it look like the head touched the canvas.. he wont hurt his opponent they way the taker performs it..

Did you ever see Jerry Lawler perform a piledriver?

It looked dangerous as fuck but supposedly towards the end him, Taker and a few select others were the only ones allowed to perform the maneuver because they were the safest at it.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #73 on: December 08, 2013, 01:02:08 PM »

It looked dangerous as fuck but supposedly towards the end him, Taker and a few select others were the only ones allowed to perform the maneuver because they were the safest at it.

Interesting; I'd never heard that.

I do recall them banning spinal compressing moves, though.

gmflex

• Getbig V
« Reply #74 on: December 09, 2013, 06:00:21 PM »

I think lawler used to do the arms between the legs grab..