Author Topic: Sport BJJ vs. Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Self Defense vs Martial Arts, The Reality  (Read 7751 times)

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Ron = 'Princess L' & many other gimmicks - FACT!
Saying things that I have stated on this very board myself to some of the bjj devotees here.

Lloyd Irvin discusses his belief on the brazilian jiu jitsu self defense vs sport jiu jitsu debate, martial arts in general, his home invasion, groupies, brainwashing in martial arts, and the over all reality of what self defense really is and which art is the best for self defense. This video is going to cause an uproar but it's the flat out plain truth.

!

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
Re: Sport BJJ vs. Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Self Defense vs Martial Arts, The Reality
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2012, 08:30:58 AM »
Interesting vid, but most of that stuff is common sense.

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2012, 08:44:06 AM »
Interesting vid, but most of that stuff is common sense.
Not to your typical Zuffa Zombie or dedicated brazilian jiu jitsu practitioner. ;) Most guys who really get into Gracie bjj (guys on this very board) totally drink the Kool-Aid.

The only thing I somewhat disagree with Lloyd about is that for grade-school age children, I think bjj alone could be highly effective for self defense. I saw several middle school/high school fights in the schoolyard or just off school grounds when I was a kid, where two kids squared off in a crowd with no interference from other kids and certainly no chance of weapons being brought out.
!

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2012, 10:40:08 AM »
Not to your typical Zuffa Zombie or dedicated brazilian jiu jitsu practitioner. ;) Most guys who really get into Gracie bjj (guys on this very board) totally drink the Kool-Aid.

The only thing I somewhat disagree with Lloyd about is that for grade-school age children, I think bjj alone could be highly effective for self defense. I saw several middle school/high school fights in the schoolyard or just off school grounds when I was a kid, where two kids squared off in a crowd with no interference from other kids and certainly no chance of weapons being brought out.
Yeah, I'd agree with that. Might depend on what high school they're attending, however.  :D

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2012, 11:30:05 AM »
I think fighting on the ground is a skill in its self. A lot of fights do end up grappling. Most guys go by if i hit him first i will win..does not always work. I have always loved Judo and boxing. I have also enjoyed the mix in Jeet kune do.

arce1988

• Getbig V
  • ARCE USA USMC
  Cool guy

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
Lloyd Irvin's 1st fight from the 2012 Nogi World Championships. Lloyd dropped 35 lbs to prepare for this event.

!

gracie bjj

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
lloyds school where he teaches is about 45 minutes from me, his privates r about 1000$ an hr :o
R

Childish///AMG

• Getbig IV
Very "Interesting" and informative

Darren Avey

• Getbig V
lloyds school where he teaches is about 45 minutes from me, his privates r about 1000$ an hr :o

Yeh but it must be worth the money, after a few sessions you can say "yeh welcome to da top of da food chain!!!"