Author Topic: Horseback riding w/knee and foot discomfort  (Read 4805 times)

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
Horseback riding w/knee and foot discomfort
« on: September 06, 2012, 07:18:21 PM »
Whenever I go horseback riding (western), about 30 minutes into the ride, my knees ache and eventually the balls of my feet and toes go numb.  What could be causing this?  Tight IT bands?  Pinched butt nerves?  It's only during the ride.  Everything is fine afterwards. 
:

jpm101

• Getbig IV
Re: Horseback riding w/knee and foot discomfort
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2012, 09:28:02 AM »
Spinal adjustment would be suggested. Acupuncture or chiropractor may help. Ever deep sports massages. Does sound like a nerve displacement problem.. Any burning might suggest slight muscle/tendon tear. Even neck and traps will need attention, in some cases.

Is the saddle equal or mounted well? If one side is higher than the other, or if having anything in your back pockets, can cause a unequal /unbalanced shift of bwt, affecting the spine. Just about every negative cause factor can be related to the spine & hip adjustments, or lack of. Having undergone a serious spinal operation, I have become aware of the important of the spine/lower back.

Could be related to your weight training. Any new exercises or training protocol , I wonder. Good luck.
F

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2012, 10:22:12 AM »
Just to note: Don't know where PL is from  (I moved out of BumF**K years ago, it's know as Willowbrook in SoCal) but just every girl and old lady wears Wrangler jeans, when riding out here. They don't have anything in their back pocket's, that would spoil the curve of their well rounded butts.
F

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2012, 05:51:20 PM »
Stirrups too high? Sounds like you're tensing up on the ride and pushing with the balls of your feet and putting tension on your low back and knees. Does the saddle fit you properly or do you slide forward on the horn a bit?
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

outby43

• Getbig IV
  • Libertarians 2016
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2012, 06:12:54 PM »
Stirrups too high? Sounds like you're tensing up on the ride and pushing with the balls of your feet and putting tension on your low back and knees. Does the saddle fit you properly or do you slide forward on the horn a bit?

Chaos the Cowboy  ???

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2012, 06:41:33 PM »
Chaos the Cowboy  ???
I been around, kid. ;)
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2012, 07:03:46 PM »
This isn't Chaos first rodeo.
F

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2012, 08:25:22 PM »
I do have the stirrups probably 1 notch higher than they should be, but I feel like I have more control to stop when we're running.  The saddle is the smallest one the guy has and he says it's the right size for me.  I know I "sit" correctly ~ well, maybe not as graceful as Clint, but I "ride with the horse" and am very relaxed.  The horn isn't at all an issue.  I wish the saddle had more padding  ;D

Massage would probably do a world of good.  I guess I'll start by doing some foam rolling (arghhhh, the pain).

:

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2012, 08:30:25 PM »
I do have the stirrups probably 1 notch higher than they should be, but I feel like I have more control to stop when we're running.  The saddle is the smallest one the guy has and he says it's the right size for me.  I know I "sit" correctly ~ well, maybe not as graceful as Clint, but I "ride with the horse" and am very relaxed.  The horn isn't at all an issue.  I wish the saddle had more padding  ;D

Massage would probably do a world of good.  I guess I'll start by doing some foam rolling (arghhhh, the pain).

Drop the stirrups sister. Obviously that position isn't for longer rides. Bringing the knees up higher is rolling your hips and putting stress on the lower back. Also push your feet deeper into the stirrup, you don't ride with the ball of your foot on the stirrup do you? Should be on the arch.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2012, 08:36:41 PM »
Drop the stirrups sister. Obviously that position isn't for longer rides. Bringing the knees up higher is rolling your hips and putting stress on the lower back. Also push your feet deeper into the stirrup, you don't ride with the ball of your foot on the stirrup do you? Should be on the arch.

I was always taught to keep the stirrups forward of the arch even though that has always felt un-natural and uncomfortable.  i'm going to try it.

We came across a bunny yesterday.  Freaked the horses out  ;D lol
:

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2012, 08:43:34 PM »

I was always taught to keep the stirrups forward of the arch even though that has always felt un-natural and uncomfortable.  i'm going to try it.

We came across a bunny yesterday.  Freaked the horses out  ;D lol

Never liked riding that way, hurt the balls of my feet.... ;)

Our horses were good with other animals, dogs, etc. Did the bunny mock them?
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2012, 06:52:42 AM »
Never liked riding that way, hurt the balls of my feet.... ;)

Our horses were good with other animals, dogs, etc. Did the bunny mock them?

No.  The bunny played possum.  Squirrels mock the dogs ;D
:

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2012, 08:00:45 PM »
No.  The bunny played possum.  Squirrels mock the dogs ;D
Squirrels are crafty bastards. ;)
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2012, 01:02:36 PM »
I kept my feet in the stirrups all the way back to the heel (I know  ::) ) yesterday and everything was fine - no discomfort.   The stirrups are still a little higher than they should be, but I can't bring myself to lower them.  When I stand there's about 4 inches between the crotch and saddle.  It's weird  :-\ when my feet are in the stirrups they do not point outwards (about 11 & 1) like they should.  They just point straight ahead or even a little inwards.

Funny side note:  These are the same horses (we rotate between 9) that the Milwaukee sheriff & police use (lease) for mounted park patrol and whatnot.  Unbelievable how many officers can't ride worth a shit (and they only walk).  Apparently, several have fallen off over a slight stumble or sidestep and blame the horse for not being cooperative.
  ::)
:

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2012, 07:55:44 PM »
Sounds like the stirrups are ok from my experience, but I always liked a little extra clearance when I stand. ;D

So feet in helped?
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2012, 06:11:07 PM »
Sounds like the stirrups are ok from my experience, but I always liked a little extra clearance when I stand. ;D

So feet in helped?

Thinking about today's ride, I realize that whatever comes naturally is most comfortable.  No issues, well except some of the asshole idiot drivers.
: