Author Topic: Who Squats? I'm not doing that bullshit anymore...  (Read 43404 times)

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • also shopped my pic you tried to make it subtle
Re: Who Squats? I'm not doing that bullshit anymore...
« Reply #75 on: September 13, 2012, 12:55:14 PM »
The real reason most don't squat is because it's so hard. That's the end of the story. Then you have the guys that squat and barely lower the weight because they want to say they squat big numbers.

If you have medical problems in your back, hips or knees I understand why you don't do them.  The other guys are just lazy. That's why the bench and curl is so popular.

Yes I agree.  In general I find that working my chest and arms is easy.  Working legs and back is hard.

kimo

• Getbig III
« Reply #76 on: September 13, 2012, 01:14:07 PM »
deep squats are  knees ptrotectors not knee breakers .. half squat are bad . but for hypertrophy leg presses are good for functional strentgh squats remains great . front squats even more for athletes . . but stay away from smith . but yes squats can be a bit overrrated . good for athletes . depends also of your structure ..

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
« Reply #77 on: September 13, 2012, 01:45:58 PM »
I've always done ass to the grass since the beginning.  It just sucks and its hard as hell.

Fuck it, I am a pussy.... Meltdown

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #78 on: September 13, 2012, 01:49:18 PM »
if you don't compete, then you can remove squats and bench press from your routine.  what's the point of a pec tear or jacked up knees?  my legs and chest respond well from machines.

You can also remove them in case you do compete. Two of the most overrated exercises.

B_B_C

• Getbig IV
  • change is the lot of all
« Reply #79 on: September 13, 2012, 01:51:49 PM »
Quote from: BigCyp link=topic=440947.date=1347537491
Hahahaha you call that tough? I was at the gym the other night in my wheelchair, and I couldn't find a free barbell anywhere so I took out my spine like I was doing a quick overhead tricep extension and put one of my testicles on each each to stop the ivanko 45's falling off!
[/

well I suppose two out of three aint bad even if one of them is supine
c

da_vinci

• Getbig V
  • Cry me a river
« Reply #80 on: September 13, 2012, 01:56:08 PM »
what kind of fag wears "capri" pants?

Most of the Europe (I guess your "know all" fails at fashion.. oh well..).. ;]

da_vinci

• Getbig V
  • Cry me a river
« Reply #81 on: September 13, 2012, 01:57:35 PM »
You look like a homo hth

Yet I plow quite a decent amount of really hot chicks. I'll better stay "homo" in this case ;] (among meatheads aka as - good looking/prepped/trendy/etc).

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #82 on: September 13, 2012, 01:58:31 PM »
what kind of fag wears "capri" pants?

X2!!

da_vinci

• Getbig V
  • Cry me a river
« Reply #83 on: September 13, 2012, 02:04:50 PM »
X2!!

Pants are generally a MALE attribute and females did not wear them till' not so long ago. Most of fellas here would look ridiculously outdated in some kind of a more "subtle" enviroment, yet they'd imply the "normal people" axioma of course and "fags" and other stuff, while being very insecure about their own appearance most of the time and camouflaging that with /grimaces/ and stupid jokes. ;) I know.. most of you want to portray the "alpha male" rough fella image.. well for each his own.

p.s. - yep. that's a pink t-shirt I was wearing.  8)

Natural Man

• Getbig V
« Reply #84 on: September 13, 2012, 02:13:06 PM »
has nothing to do with us being alpha... it's just that...capri pants are for women, if you re a man and wear them you look like a homo.

IrishMuscle84

• Getbig IV
« Reply #85 on: September 13, 2012, 02:13:47 PM »
I havent done squats in MONTHS....Leg extensions, leg press, seated leg curl is all ive been doing for legs......gonna change it up soon though.

cephissus

• Getbig V
« Reply #86 on: September 13, 2012, 02:18:19 PM »
haha "a more subtle environment"

*claims to dress like 'everyone else in europe'*

da_vinci

• Getbig V
  • Cry me a river
« Reply #87 on: September 13, 2012, 02:21:50 PM »
has nothing to do with us being alpha... it's just that...capri pants are for women, if you re a man and wear them you look like a homo.

We don't even have this term "capri pants" and plenty and plenty of guys wear these on the street when it's warm outside. Pants are NOT woman at all, so any kind of pans are for males first.
 Only explanation I can find why it's strange from these from the US (you are not btw) is that these are older fellas who doesn't acknowledge anything aside these classic denim jeans lol..
 But oh well.. I wear these "skinny" (most of 'em are skinny on me anyway..) jeans of a tight fit so I'm homo beyond belief anyway..

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #88 on: September 13, 2012, 02:23:28 PM »
Pants are generally a MALE attribute and females did not wear them till' not so long ago. Most of fellas here would look ridiculously outdated in some kind of a more "subtle" enviroment, yet they'd imply the "normal people" axioma of course and "fags" and other stuff, while being very insecure about their own appearance most of the time and camouflaging that with /grimaces/ and stupid jokes. ;) I know.. most of you want to portray the "alpha male" rough fella image.. well for each his own.

p.s. - yep. that's a pink t-shirt I was wearing.  8)

WTF, are you pleading about male clothing with a philosophic/Carl Jung touch? LOL
Like I would give a fuck about what kind of clothes are outdated or which are not (talking about insecurity...  ::) )
I'm against 3/4 pants for men & women as well, and also skinny jeans for men.

da_vinci

• Getbig V
  • Cry me a river
« Reply #89 on: September 13, 2012, 02:25:49 PM »
haha "a more subtle environment"

*claims to dress like 'everyone else in europe'*

Let me clarify: in an enviroment where people aren't afraid to be stylish, experiment with the way they look, etc.. generally - open minded people. But these kind of pants are nothing out of the ordinary here anyway.. I was referring more to other ways of clothing, which older (but not necassirily) bitter guys frown upon (than they go home to fukk their ugly bitch, while these "homo looking" fellas walk with beautiful young ladies.. ;) ).

da_vinci

• Getbig V
  • Cry me a river
« Reply #90 on: September 13, 2012, 02:27:47 PM »
WTF, are you pleading about male clothing with a philosophic/Carl Jung touch? LOL
Like I would give a fuck about what kind of clothes are outdated or which are not (talking about insecurity...  ::) )
I'm against 3/4 pants for men & women as well, and also skinny jeans for men.

Lol.. more like Freud and Nietczhe.
I'm pretty sure you have a right to be "against" these (at least for yourslef). I have no prob with that. Wear what makes you feel good.

snx

• Getbig IV
« Reply #91 on: September 13, 2012, 02:30:37 PM »
Truth is, squats, when done properly, are much safer than a majority of isolation-type movements, machines and, yes, even leg presses (to correct depth, doing the leg press can very much damage the low back).

There are many ways to tailor the squat to one's specific athletic/aesthetic requirement. I mean, the one poster who suggests squatting will make you appear as a gigantic SPF-type powerlifter is clueless. There is a WORLD of difference between performing Olympic squats with 315 and doing power-styled squats out of a monolift with 800 pounds.

Squatting is for truly athletic men and women. 

I agree - squats are great. Maybe THE greatest exercise for strength and mass...ok, maybe second behind deadlifts. But that's semantics.

However, most don't have the hip mobility or thoracic spine mobility and strength to squat properly. Most don't have the core strength necessary to brace the abdominal wall and keep a natural arch to the lumbar spine at full depth. What's more, most don't have abductor strength necessary to keep the knees from caving in, which can erode medial collateral ligaments in the knees. Furthermore, the least bit of imbalance between the feet can, over time, put a serious hurt on the hip joint (i.e. one foot points in or out slightly more than the other).

Squats are great, no doubt. But the risk for injury is high if you don't do them right. I suppose you could say that about any exercise. But given the loads most are prone to using in the squat, we can see that there's no margin for error; if your form isn't bang on, you can really get hurt a lot quicker with squats than you can with lunges, let's say. It's much harder to hurt yourself with dumbell curls, for example, because the load is too small to really kill your joints unless you get stupid (apples to oranges, I know, but you get it).

For hypertrophy and strength, it's hard to beat the squat when done right.

But since many, many guys can't squat right (though most won't admit it), there are safer moves. I like single leg bulgarian split squats, which take unilateral imbalances out of the equation and allow the body to move more freely even with imbalances. And, if you can hold a couple of 120lb dumbells in your hands and do 1-leg bulgarian split squats, I'd say you've probably got solid legs to go with it.

Again...no slam against the squat. I used to love it, and still do. But it's so easy to hurt yourself unless you're really in tune with your body and the mechanics of the lift (like most powerlifters and oly-lifters are), or you have a good coach who's taught you right from wrong (i.e. not your buddy at Good Life Fitness or the trainer at Planet Fitness).

nefario

• Getbig III
« Reply #92 on: September 13, 2012, 02:32:34 PM »
They hurt by back, which has two bad discs. And before someone say you're not doing it right if your getting hurt, bullshit, you start loading hundreds of pounds on your back, shit goes wrong.

The same.  It took me awhile to suck it up because I truly love squats more than any other exercise, but I stopped heavy back squats about 8 months ago and my back pain pretty dissipated within two weeks (spondylolisthesis diagnosed years ago at L5).  Still hit front squats pretty heavy, but that's only about 60% of the back squat poundage.

BIG ACH

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #93 on: September 13, 2012, 02:40:34 PM »

I stopped squatting 2 years back.  No reason other than I just don't like the exercise.  Not gonna make up any excuses, just hate squats.  Working out for me is about having fun, why would I go to the gym and do something thats not fun???  Leg presses have been serving as a good alternative.

So call me a pussy lol - I don't really care! 

I still deadlift from time to time cause I still enjoy that exercise though!

da_vinci

• Getbig V
  • Cry me a river
« Reply #94 on: September 13, 2012, 02:44:32 PM »
A question - does squats in a hack squat machine (don't have it in my gym) works on the glutes as good as barbell squats?

BIG ACH

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #95 on: September 13, 2012, 02:45:19 PM »
A question - does squats in a hack squat machine (don't have it in my gym) works on the glutes as good as barbell squats?

hack squats work more quads really... but depends where you place your feet!

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #96 on: September 13, 2012, 02:49:27 PM »

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #97 on: September 13, 2012, 02:53:18 PM »
hack squats work more quads really... but depends where you place your feet!

If you have the chance to do so. We have shitty one with a very small platform, but the worst part is that it has a weight stack, so you can't start in a natural position (thanks Technogym  ::) )

True

• Getbig IV
  • Zero Tolerance
« Reply #98 on: September 13, 2012, 02:54:13 PM »
I stopped squatting 2 years back.  No reason other than I just don't like the exercise.  Not gonna make up any excuses, just hate squats.  Working out for me is about having fun, why would I go to the gym and do something thats not fun???  Leg presses have been serving as a good alternative.

So call me a pussy lol - I don't really care!  

I still deadlift from time to time cause I still enjoy that exercise though!

Squats is a fun exercise. Compared to leg presses and hack squats which is torture, it is quite simple. I can rely on 10 heavy sets of squats only and rock better quads than any of you leg machine type guys. It really is the king exercise for legs, and you benefit greatly from it.

The only problem with exercises like squats, deads, bent over rows and bench presses is that while they are really good for adding mass, they are also "good" for adding size to the midsection... That is the only thing I hate about them, but you cant win em all.

da_vinci

• Getbig V
  • Cry me a river
« Reply #99 on: September 13, 2012, 02:59:12 PM »
Ok, so what are other effective exercises for glutes? It would suck to have big quads and a flabby ass... :-X